Come See Yosemite, May 14-21, 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the latest update on our attendees list.  We will miss those who cannot make it.

YOSEMITE ATTENDEE LIST

LAST NAME              FIRST            SPOUSE/PARTNER              RV FORUM HANDLE                    HOME

Brewer                      Terry                    Betty                                Betty Brewer                      Arizona/Idaho

Falchini                      Steve                  Dee                                  Steve N Dee                      California

Flexitdriver                Allen                  Suzanne                            Flexitdriver                        Australia

Kuch                          Ken                    Sheila                              Ken & Sheila                  Arizona/South Dakota

Moloci                        Jim                      Jo                                        Jomo                                Michigan

Nesbitt                      Don                    Mary Ann                          gmsboss1                      North Carolina

Roscoe                      Bill                      Corinne                            Photog                              California

Stalnaker                  Kevin                    Pam                                UTTransplant                        Utah

Stiskala                      Jan                      Olga                                Jan Stiskala                        Australia

Less than 2 months now and our CA winter has been incredible, which will translate into a spectacular experience in Yosemite!

I have 2 sons who are working at Yosemite.  One for the NPS, one for the concessionaire.  I've been getting some beautiful snow and waterfall pictures on my Facebook feed this winter.  Ya'll have fun, I'll be at the Grand Canyon.

ATTENTION ALL ATTENDEES

I have become aware that there has been a road collapse on Big Oak Flat Road leading from our RV park into Yosemite Valley.  There is no estimate on when the road might be open, but it doesn't seem promising.  As a result, I have located an alternate RV park to move our rally to.  It is located near CA SR 41, which is the south entrance to the park.  It will be about a 30 minute drive to the south gate and then another 30 minutes into Yosemite Valley.  I have spoken to a client who lives near the park and she says it's a nice park.  They do have at least nine sites available with full hook ups at a weekly rate of approximately $ 40.00 per night.  I have not made any firm arrangements with them because I wanted to be sure we would all be willing to make the move.  The park is about 75 miles south of the previous park, so it's not a great distance different either way. If I can get a positive response from all or most of you, I will make arrangements with them and post the new contact info here.  Please reply a.s.a.p.

Thanks,

Steve

We will follow you, no matter where you may go!  Brewer's are in!

Edit.... I just read RV Park Review for the suggested move and for our "Queen Mary"  the  branches and  tight turns don't look so good.

So no firm decision  yet from us .

We are willing to move if we have to. Looking at AllStays, one park towards the south has poor reviews and the other has good reviews. Hope we get the good one!

Steve and Dee: When will you know about moving or canceling? We have already made some fee reservations before the trip we can't get back completely, and we were going to make more for after. Things are filling up though, and we need to know timing. I know this whole thing isn't your fault, but maybe we should just move the rally to next year.

Steve N Dee

Have been eavesdropping on your thread and I have a question.  We have planned to stay in a
Thousand Trails park in mid July about 15 miles west of where you were going to stay.  Can you tell me where I
might get more info on the road collapse you spoke of.  We are about two months later so it may be repaired.  By the way we will be at Grizzly in West Yellowstone May 26.  Will try to look you up.

Dee

dblocker said:
Steve N Dee

Have been eavesdropping on your thread and I have a question.  We have planned to stay in a
Thousand Trails park in mid July about 15 miles west of where you were going to stay.  Can you tell me where I
might get more info on the road collapse you spoke of.  We are about two months later so it may be repaired.  By the way we will be at Grizzly in West Yellowstone May 26.  Will try to look you up.

Dee

See HERE

UTTransplant said:
Steve and Dee: When will you know about moving or canceling? We have already made some fee reservations before the trip we can't get back completely, and we were going to make more for after. Things are filling up though, and we need to know timing. I know this whole thing isn't your fault, but maybe we should just move the rally to next year.

I spoke to someone at Yosemite today whose response was "I can't imagine the road not being open by then".  But of course, that's just an opinion at this point.  Our current reservation can be cancelled up to 7 days before for only a $10 fee.  Even if we move the rally to another park, that park wouldn't be more than 75 miles from our current park.  Therefore, I wouldn't expect it should change any of your before or after plans.  I did find a park with sites available but it doesn't have great reviews.  I am actually sending someone to that new park to check it out and report to me with pictures.  To top it off, I am a tax accountant and the time of year is making it extremely difficult for me to deal with this. As a last resort, we can always stay at our current park and just make a long drive in to the park by a different entrance.  It's about a 2 hour detour.  Long, but not impossible.  Trying to keep all options open at this point.  Hope this helps with your planning.

Steve

Steve, I looked at pictures of the slide. While they have to clear the road and fix damage to the road surface, its not the Rt 89 to Page in Arizona where the road base was destroyed and took a long time to first engineer and then construct. From what I've found they are currently working on adding drainage converts.
I don't think we will have a problem with staying at Yosemite Pines.

ken

Thanks for the info. We won't make any changes now, but if the road isn't open by 7 days ahead, we will cancel. I don't quite understand whether the "2 hour detour" is one way or round trip, but it is more than we are willing to deal with. If we cancel, we won't be coming to California at all which is why this is a bigger deal for us than it is for you (1700 mile round trip). We might have to end up in Yellowstone instead (such a sacrifice!).

If anyone does Facebook, there is a group called "Yosemite Incident Feed" with pictures and news about the problem. It has frequent updates. You have to join the group to see everything, but it doesn't require moderator approval.

Here is the latest update.  I think our patience will pay off.  The Yosemite incident report has not given an estimated opening date yet for the road closure, however, they have said that 2 to 3 weeks seems likely.  That will suit us just fine as we have 5 weeks from today before our rally begins.  That's plenty of time with a lot of cushion for unexpected delays.  A big thank you to Ken and Betty for the updates during my busy time, I truly appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing all of you next month.  I am sure there are probably still sites available for anyone interested in climbing on board!

Steve

We are currently in Yosemite and will be here for the entire summer as we are volunteering with the Law Enforcement and Search and Rescue groups.

It looks like 120 will be open by the time your group arrives but ... no guarantee.  Also be aware there are a lot of construction projects going on right now that has caused detours throughout the park causing traffic delays.  They anticipate these projects might not be competed before Memorial Day.  So ... patience will be needed as getting around may be slow but definitely worth the wait.  Here's a link to the road work being done.  https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/roadwork.htm

We had more snow two days ago causing frazil ice (a sight to see!) in the streams below the waterfalls which are spectacular now and are only going to be better when you all arrive as all that snow melts.

Will keep track of your plans.  You're going to have a great time! 

Latest status from NPS. No date yet, but progress is being made.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/yosemite-national-park-continues-to-repair-big-oak-flat-road-418.htm

We have had a lot of rain over the past couple of weeks which is inhibiting the progress.  Obviously they would like to open this road ASAP and are working as fast as they can.  Keep checking for updates.  If I hear anything specific about an opening date estimate I will post it here.

Back
Top Bottom