EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Anyone heard of or used Harvesthosts.com  (Read 1251 times)

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Anyone heard of or used Harvesthosts.com
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:38:12 PM »
We met some new friends at our current campground who told us about a website called Harvesthosts.com. It costs $44 to join for one year (there are other options) and you can stay one night free with a condition to purchase something that the host is selling. Wine, fruit, veg etc. I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds pretty neat and wondered if anyone here had used it and if so what the thoughts were. Apparently you can also negotiate extra nights. It is for self contained units only though.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Anyone heard of or used Harvesthosts.com
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:17:41 AM »
Thanks Jackie. A number of forum members have mentioned joining HH and posted positive things about their experiences. But it's been a while since we last saw a report.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 03:07:42 PM »
  I attended a seminar they  gave at an FMCA Rally and joined for a year hoping to stay at a winery. We never used it one time.  Hubby likes to know the length and accommodations  in advance of  a  campground and most of their stops are not traditional campground spots.  We were never close by  our travel patterns.  So sadly it did not work for us. Plus those purchases could end up costing you (or me)  a bundle!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »
We are worried we may run out of room for wine if we join. Thought it may be good for an overnighter and they show all locations on a map.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
kinda sad I think this isn't a hotter thing.
I think it seems like a wonderful idea.  a destination and nice place to overnight at the same time.

Someone recently posted about a similar thing for golf courses.  Kinda seems like almost a scam.... apparently that guy contacted a local course that was on the list, and was told they had never heard of it.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 01:27:10 PM »
Friends of ours belong, and they love it. Like any other club or membership, it's probably not for everyone.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:57:52 PM »
Apparently they encourage people to do some voluntary work if they want to also like helping crush the grapes. Some of it will be great fun especially for kids. We might try it when we come back next year and if we do I'll report back.

Dream Chasers

• ---
  • Be Brave - Take Risks - Nothing Beats Experience
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »
We reported about RV Golf Club. It is similar idea as HH, in that you pay one year fee, have a chance to overnight in golf club parking lots, and then gve reduced golf fees. It is very hard to find any info on that club. The owner contacted us, we told him about the local golf club that never heard of them but was listed as a member. He was incredulous. He contacted the club and proved that a prior general manager signed them up. However current gen manager told him to remove them. Then guy still wanted us to join. Their cost is $99 per year. He had sent us an old email with a price of $49. When we asked about it, he said it was old and wouldn't honor it. So, we told him to stop emailing us and we unsubscribed.

We are still considering HH. Now has over 500 places to stop and se3ms to be legit.  We are hesitant to join, because a couple of reviews we read said that they were worried about taking large class As down narrow farm roads. Or, worried about not having a way to turn around at the farms. Or, parking on soft grass, etc. As Betty stated, they are not traditional campgrounds, so may or may not actually be suitable for a larger rig.

Looking forward to your findings.
Sheryl & Bobby and Roxie the Yorkie
Polk City, Florida
2015 Forest River Berkshire 34QS
2011 Honda CRV SE

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 10:28:12 PM »
Apparently you need to call in advance to organise so you can discuss concerns at the time I guess. It will be next spring at the earliest before we are out and about again 😊

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 06:58:59 AM »
We stayed one night at a Harvest Host winery in NY. We called ahead got the only spot they had. The spot was nice and it was free. But, between the wine tasting and happy hour plus we liked the wine so we bought a few bottles the cost was $80. But the spot was FREE!  :)
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 12:17:40 AM »
We were one of the very early HH joiners (even beta tested their software) and stayed  members until we sold our coach. Our coach was 41' and never had an issue with turn arounds or parking on grass. But we always did a couple of walk arounds and checkouts before pulling in. Even attended a great jazz festival at one with no parking (right in the middle of the vineyard) or entry fee. And the best thing is we didn't have to worry about a DUI after enjoying the tasting room.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Hosted by Over The Network