1000 Trails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEJim

Does anyone have any experience with 1000 Trails campgrounds? I received a free 3 day two night package from them if I go listen to a 90 minute pitch.

I have no problem taking freebies from parks like 1000 trails. I also have no problem saying "No thanks" when they're done with their presentation. There are forum members who are members of 1000 trails and I'm sure they'll tell you if they like what they've got.

Wendy

Personally I recommend staying away from any membership campground even 1000 trails.  Go enjoy the free nights but be sure you are ready to say no to their high pressure sales pitch.  Just my opinion.

Thousand Trails has something nearly nobody else has... A "Preserve" in Las Vegas NV  (The other one is Oasis which is an RPI park and part of a network that starts with H but alas, I forgot it's name)

I belong to TT, Spent a month at Las vegas park, have spent time in the St. Clair Michigan park.  My rig is a 37 footer and both parks that is streatching it a bit, We have to carefully pick our sites.  That said, both parks are fairly well maintained, no complaints, seems to be a sound company.  I also belong to Michigan Outdoor Adventures, which has only a few parks, all in Michigan and they range from older, "Smaller" parks with a few large open sites to some very nice resorts.

However they are not much help when I go to visit Darling Daughter in Las Vegas.

I have no complaints with them, Seem like a good company

I also have a TT membership and I find that if you are looking for a one night stay while on the road they don't work for me as most campgrounds are off the Hwy. to far ,But they work graet for longer stays (They have a on turn away police ) If the park is full they will put you up in an overflow area untill a space comes open.

Several parks (Resorts of Distinction) now have that poicy (NO turn away)

Gee, you find the preserves too far off the freeway... Well, The one in Las Vegas is perhaps a quarte rmile, The one in St. Clair, Mi is perhaps 100 yards (Freeway boarders) the one near Indio CA is on the service drive.  (Those are the only 3 TT parks I've seen, but then I have not yet started looking for them)  Now Mi-Outdoor adventure... Those you need a map to find.

We looked into TT, but decided against it mainly because we felt we wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost, especially the annual maintanence cost.  If we were in a better situation where we could actually use them often, we would certainly consider it.  The one we stayed at (near San Antonio, TX) was fantastic.  And from what I hear from others, most, if not all the rest are the same way.  I guess that's what that high membership and annual maintenance cost will get for you.  Right now I am getting more offers for the freebies (even though they said this would be our "one and only chance"!...right!).  I'll take 'em up on it again when my wife joins me.  All you have to do is say no!  Or if you like it and will use it, say yes.

Well, as I tell folks... Just spent 3 months out west, I spent a month and a half in Las Vegas where my daughter lives (Wife insists) and the "Month" part was at a TT park.

Parks in Las Vegas run from about 15 to around 60/night, 20-30 being the common range

Figure 28 days at 25/night ($700) and take that right off the top on the membership dues.  Don't leave much, at least not on my plan.

We belong to TT and are very happy with them.  BUT you have to use the parks.  We did not pay full price for membership but wht we did pay we have more than made up for in our stays.  Yes some are out of the way but what we do it stay at one and look and found all the things we can do in about 50 to 100 miles around.  Cheaper in the car than to move the coach around all the time.  We actually spend the summer last year on the west coast and I think we ended up paying for one week at an RPI the rest of the three months 0.  Like I said you have to use it.  Most parks are in need of some work but for the most part nice.  Usually thigs to do at the park ands lots of folks around to meet and exchange thought with.
Cheryl

Depends on when you got your membership and what memebership you got.

They can be as low as 200/year if you have been a member along enough.  I think I pay 750 PER YEAR

Which, as I noted, is not all that much

Is there an up front cost to join?  Can you negotiate?
Once you pay the $750, how much is it a night?

Well, I just had an interesting "enccounter" with TT over the weekend.  Wherever it is I did something stupid and they got my info, the started calling and wanting to set up a visit.  I told them I was not in a position to do it right now (me and my wife are "separated" at the moment...more about this in a minute).  But they kept bugging me, so I finally acquiesced (sorry, I've always wanted to use that word!).  Anyway, once I said yes, the telemarketer (not salesperson), "went to town".  I couldn't get an edge in wordwise.  I do remember her flying by the part about being married.  I couldn't even tell her that we were separated.  Now, when I say separated, here's the deal.  I had to move to Houston for a job, and since my son only had one year left to graduate HS, my wife is staying in San Antonio with him for that.  Anyway, as much as I tried to let TT know all this, they didn't seem to want to listen.  And as I had to be out in the area anyway, I just made mine a day thing.  So I get there, and the tell me because of some legal mumbo jumbo, they cannot give me a tour (or try and sell me something) until either our divorce is final, or my wife is with me.  Wait, I didn't tell them anything about a divorce.  I tried to explain my situation, but again, they just don't want to listen.  Like Wendy, I have no problem with the "freebies", especially since they told us after the first one (about 2 years ago), that we would never be contacted again...this was our only chance.  Hah!  Anyway, I just guess I'll wait until "we work things out" (i.e., my wife moves down here with me), and wait until they call back.  'Cause they will.  Kinda like death and taxes...it'll happen! 

By the way, from what I could see, the place at Lake Conroe is a beautiful place.  Just wish I could have seen a little more of it.

There are up front fees to join Thousand Trails as there is with any other membership park and these fees can be as high as $5000 or even more.  Then there are the maintenance fees which can run as high as $1000 or more.  Oh and you usually have no control if they decide to raise these fees.  Additionally some have clauses in the contract that is binding and the only way out from under the fees is to get some other sucker to buy your membership.

Personally I strongly recommend against membership park schemes as they are costly and after a short time most become very disappointed in them.  There is a reason you see so many park memberships for sale and sometimes almost a give away by folks wanting to get out from under the annual fees.

TT membership, IIRC is a bit less expensive than you suggest Ron, however it is thousands. that I will admit, as for maintance fees, (Hundreds) Well.. I just spent 4 weeks at TT Las Vegas between the months of Dec and Feb and that, when compared to other parking slots, just about takes care of the maintance fee.

They have two levels of membership and may well contact you in a couple of years

Well John my figure were taken from the experience of a friend that against my advice joined TT.  He went to the free visit and attended the high pressure sales pitch which was required as part of the free stay deal.  The reason they bought was they were given a 1000 dollar discount if they bought right then so they ended up paying 5000 which was 1000 off the stated price.  Boy what a deal they thought had but they sure put the membership up for sale within the first year.  No you just can't convince me that campground memberships are a good thing.  But then to each his own.

Now I am not just speaking about TT but the campground membership program in general. 

Are any of the membership campgrounds members of RCI, (Resort Condominiums International)? If so it could be advantageous for those of us associated with the military in any way.

Be very careful of any campground membership. Read the contract very, very carefully. Some of them have a clause that makes you ANDYOUR HEIRS responsible for the maintenance fees.

There is a similar concept RPI (Resort Parks International) and IIRC RPI includes condo as well, (I'm not sure it's not affilated with RCI)

You would have to chat with some of the sales types to find out more

But I know I can park in RPI parks, ROD (resorts of Distinction) and Camp Coast to Coast.

BigEdW said:
Are any of the membership campgrounds members of RCI, (Resort Condominiums International)? If so it could be advantageous for those of us associated with the military in any way.

Ed,

What connection does RCI have with the military. Retired AF here and I've never heard of RCI.

Do you use the military FamCamps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom