Camper for Dodge Ram 1500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rice40

Hi all.  I currently have a 2003 Ram 1500 crew cab with 4.7 V8 and factory tow package.  I've upgraded the shocks to Monroe self adjusting with the coils around the shocks in the rear for a little extra payload capacity. We tow our Coleman Santa Fe Popup camper with it as well as two dirt bikes in the bed.  The Hemi would be nice, but otherwise it does well.  I may also get a Rhino which would not fit in the bed so I'm considering selling the popup and getting a slide in type camper such as the Northstar or Palomino Bronco.  Dry weight of these is around 1500lb.  I would also want to tow a small 5x10 landscape type trailer with possibly a Rhino and two dirt bikes, somewhere around 2000lb. My factory payload capacity is 1510lb, towing capacity is 6200lb, and GVWR is 11,500lb.  Curb weight is 5144lb. The shocks say they add 1100 extra pounds of payload capacity but I'm doubtful of that.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for the help.

I think your concerns about being doubtful are valid in this case.

Although shocks can help with keeping the tires in contact with the road, I suspect they do little to increase the payload.
You said those campers you're looking at, tip the scales about 1500# and the max load capacity of your truck is but a few pounds more.

I do believe that a max load capacity, is that weight carried by the axles.

As you can see, you're on the edge and have not yet added the weight of a trailer mashing down on the hitch.

For reference.....I own a 2014 Ford F150 6.5 bed 5.0 SuperCab 4x4 and have a 4 wheel pop up camper mounted in the bed.
This camper tips the scale at 900# dry.
I use Firestone ride rite air bags to add lift to the bed, to keep the truck/camper in a level config. Had I not added the airbags, the rear end would squat.
Also added were LT "E" rated tires in place of the standard passenger "P" rated tires.

At times, I tow a 5x8 utility trailer with a quad inside and at times I tow a boat that goes 2000# (full guess)
The truck never lacks for sufficient power and the ride quality is smooth.

Best wishes for a successful resolution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom