May be forced into being full-timers for a short time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

I could have written WhiteH20's post, except we're older, and from the wife's perspective.

We have a contract on some land and will be building a barndominium, or rather an RV-dominium.  We put our house on the market a couple of weeks ago, thinking it takes 30 days to sell an 30 days to close, so just about right.  Then, the house sold after 2 days.  Soooo, we've looked at rental houses and apartments and no longer does anyone seem to do month to month rent.  The shortest we've found is a 6 month, and the early termination is 2-3 months rent, so at least throwing away $3K.

Plan B is to live in our travel trailer.  We took a working vacation last week and found that we absolutely cannot live in our small trailer full time while hubby works.  Just the addition of a couple of computers, briefcases and work files was too much in the way, and then there was the getting up at 5:30 and turning on lights, and living with a cat who has not yet adjusted to being a house cat.

So while we haven't ruled out an apartment, it is looking more likely that we will buy a larger RV and live on our land while building.  We have a lease from the current owners of the land and permission to move a trailer on it until we can get it inside the barn.  Like WhiteH20, we would like to buy something we can resell in the spring if it is a big RV.  If it is under 30' and we find we really like it, we might want to keep it and sell our little trailer though.  We have owned our trailer for only a year and wouldn't make the same mistakes we did buying it, but I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes yet to make, especially if we buy a 5th wheel instead of a bumper pull.

My questions then are  these.

1.  If you are over 6' tall, did you insist on getting a shower you can stand up in, or did you get used to showering with your head in the skylight?
2.  If you are over 6', do you prefer a bumper pull or a 5th - can you stand up in the upper part?
3.  If either is ok for height, is there another reason you or your SO prefer a bumper pull or 5er?
4.  If you full time and work "from home", what kind of RV did you get for the work, or do you take your work somewhere else now?
5.  Do you rent a storage space for excess stuff - like off season clothes, garage tools, etc.?
6.  Where do you put your clothes?  Most RVs have little to no hanging closet space.
7.  Anything else to consider before we start looking for a bigger RV?

1.  If you are over 6' tall, did you insist on getting a shower you can stand up in, or did you get used to showering with your head in the skylight?
    I got used to showering with my head in the skylight. I'm 6'2", and the ceiling is about the same, so the skylight is just "extra headroom."
2.  If you are over 6', do you prefer a bumper pull or a 5th - can you stand up in the upper part?
    We have a bumper pull. It is our second one. Never owned a fifth wheel, so I have no opinion on that. Our TT is a 19.5' Retro and is perfect for us. I can stand up everywhere in it.
3.  If either is ok for height, is there another reason you or your SO prefer a bumper pull or 5er?
    I like the bumper pull, because that is what I know. I have nothing against a 5er. See answer #2.
4.  If you full time and work "from home", what kind of RV did you get for the work, or do you take your work somewhere else now?
    I'm retired, but we lived in a 30' MH with no slides for 5 months while building a S&B. DW asked twice, "Why are we building a house, when we're so comfortable here?"
5.  Do you rent a storage space for excess stuff - like off season clothes, garage tools, etc.?
    We used PODS  to store our stuff while the house was being built. Worked great.
6.  Where do you put your clothes?  Most RVs have little to no hanging closet space.
    We used our towed car for extra storage, but neither of us is a clothes horse.
    If you are planning to sell it when the house is finished, BUY USED. Otherwise, you'll take a beating on depreciation.

You full time in a 19.5' trailer?  I'm impressed.

We are only looking at used, and preferably one in good shape about 5-8 years old.

M&M said:
Ours is a 28ft internal, 32.5ft external travel trailer:

My OH 6ft 1 and shower fine, plenty of space.
OH can stand up no issues with plenty of headroom inside
3.  If either is ok for height, is there another reason you or your SO prefer a bumper pull or 5e
We,have a trailer as no additional engine and we didn't need the extra space or height and what we considered wasted space of 5er. Also storage in 5er was a bit  more but some cupboards too high for me to reach easily and I am 5ft 8.
Don't work full time. There is a dining room table you could use,  but maybe toy hauler would work.
Depends how many clothes. For 2 of us there are 2 wardrobes and we keep clothes folded in bags above bed. There is additional space in living area. We are from uk so need a variety.
See 5, we are living full time for 6 months and we have managed with around 7 days of clothes.  We both have more hanging up that we have not worn at all.
If only 2 of you just make sure you have your own space, even being able to lie on  the  bed in separate room  to read makes a difference.

Good luck, don't get stressed that's the main thing.

Probably not a good idea, but I fell in love with a travel trailer today.  A new one, of course.  I think I could live in it forever, forget building anything but a barn to put it in.

It's an Idle-time 299RKS.  We looked at one last weekend and I thought it looked like a construction trailer, but Hubby mentioned how well they are made, so I looked at their website and loved the layout of this one.

I need to call when they open tomorrow, or make that later this morning, and see how tall the ceilings are.

Usually their web site will have a page for specs on the trailer that should tell you all of the dimensions. Have you checked the web site?

I couldn't find any useful specs on their website except length.

I just looked at their site. I am a little leery of a manufacture that doesn't at least list GVW specs.  There isn't even a link to a possible printed brochure.  Usually manufactures are very forthcoming with info about their products.

The brochure I found shows only the same info as the web page, Very little!!

M&M said:
You full time in a 19.5' trailer?  I'm impressed.

We are only looking at used, and preferably one in good shape about 5-8 years old.
We are not full timers, but we traveled last spring for 3 months in our TT and were sad to have to end the trip. We are perfectly comfortable in our little home on wheels. It is stunning how much stuff we DON'T need to be happy. We did have our pickup bed pretty full of stuff, but most of it never got used.

Good call on looking for a used rig. Let someone else pay the first couple years' depreciation. Just be sure you (or a competent RV mechanic) thoroughly check for leaks before you buy.

The Idle-time is a 50 amp.  Is that going to be a problem with state parks and smaller campgrounds?

I also found a 2012 Spree that looks good and a better price.  We have friends with a 2014 Spree and they love it.  But they do have problems with their super slide.

Problem with 30 amp sites?? Nah, simply carry a 30 to 50 amp dogbone adapter and you should be good. (You will, however, have only  30 amps available to play with so you have to be careful and practice good power management but everything will work).

As much as I like that Idle-time, we just can't justify spending that much money right now when we have two closings coming up and moving expenses.  I sure did like that kitchen though.  *sigh*

Tomorrow we are going to look at a Flagstaff V-lite that has a winter package, and that might be better for full-timing anyway.  And a Crossroads Longhorn.  I need to research and see if there are any consistent problems with either of those.

Lots of online complaints for both.  With the V-Lite, it seems to be mostly later models.

Well, I guess none of it matters now anyway.  I can't find an RV park within 50 miles with a space to park for a couple of months.  Guess it's back to Plan A. :-\

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom