No power to GFI and tied in second outlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickvbeck

My 2008 fleetwood pop up looks like it had a GFI failure when the power went out in a storm. I was unable to reset the outlet so got a new one with an indicator light. Light is green, fuses all good and reset circuit breakers hard. Still no power there or the other inside or outside outlet. The new outlet will not reset. Any ideas on where to go from here?

Make sure you have the line and load sides correct.  The line side comes from the circuit breaker and the load side goes to the down stream outlet.

Replaced the old with new wire by wire so as not to mix them up. What I can not figure out is why it is showing the green light that it is correctly hooked up but will not reset.

Some GFCI units show the light when "Set" some when "Tripped"  That may be the light indicates tripped (that's how mine work)
If you have a light then you have power to the outlet, just not passing it (not resetting)

Step one. On the outlet there are connections for power IN and power OUT. make sure the POWER IN (Source/Line) is properly connected. Now disconnect the OUT (load) side  Now test the outlet.. Does it now work? can you reset it. If so you have eliminated the GFCI as the problem.

now re-connect load. Did it trip when you turned the breaker back on.. You have a problem down line

Unplug EVERYTHING

Lightening suggests a rain storm.. A common issue with the GFCI chain is outside the RV, the patio outlet. if the seal is less than ideal rain can penetrate into the box and CLICK goes the GFCI and darkness ensues.  The soultion is to clean, dry, (optionally replace) and reseal.

If it won't reset at all (nothing happens when you push the button), it has no power on the hot terminal. If it resets but immediately re-trips, there is a short somewhere downstream of it.

You didn't mention the brand of the outlet, so hard to say what that light means. Some have only a trip light, some a power light, and some both. Generally, though, it has to have at least some power to show any light, so it's a mystery!

Back
Top Bottom