rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: I-77 North Carolina  (Read 2067 times)

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
I-77 North Carolina
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »
Does anybody have any first hand good or bad recommendations for RV parks within 50 miles of I-77 in North Carolina?

I will be driving through there and planning to stop at one or two places in North Carolina.

Just need electric but other utilities always welcomed.

Don't need silly frills but sometimes no choice but to pay for that anyhow.
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' 5th Estate, formerly 8 years 24/7 in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
Re: I-77 North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:44:44 AM »
We overnighted at the Statesville KOA last week. It was fine for that.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##40 States So Far...##

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »
We stayed at Stone Mt State Park for 4 nights last month. They have a modern campground with large sites.  They were back-in, water and electric (50 and 30 amp) with lots of room, picnic table fire ring and lantern pole. We also spent a couple of nights at the Mayberry Campground outside of Mt Airy on our way back home. It's closer to I-77 than Stone Mt, and does have full hook-ups. However, it is a parking lot campground with nary a tree in site. We were in a short term spot, a pull-through that had plenty of room for our 30' TT and truck, but no picnic table or fire ring. We liked Stone Mt much better and enjoyed hiking the trails in the mornings and visiting local wineries in the afternoons. Mayberry is good for an overnight or as a place to stay when visiting Mt Airy, but there is little else to do in the campground.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

DearMissMermaid

• ---
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
Thank you so much for the information!

I appreciate this. Last time I asked about NC, no one had camped there, so this is handy indeed.

Thank you again!

Living, working. playing  in a 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' 5th Estate, formerly 8 years 24/7 in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Al Juby

• ---
  • Al & Kathy
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »
We stayed in Stone Mountain about 3 weeks ago and found it to be very pleasant. 
99 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
2005 CR-V
Lyman S.C.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Franklin P. Jones

DearMissMermaid

• ---
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 04:44:10 PM »
Thanks for the input.

Anyone else camp in NC around the I-77 area?

TwelveVoltMan

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »
We stayed at Midway Campground, just east of where I-77 and I-40 intersect.  It was adequate for our weekend stay.  I would recommend their patio sites by the lake.  The internet there was horrible, but they offer full hookups.

While I haven't yet camped there, Greystone RV Park, just outside Pilot Mountain State Park, looks nice.  I've heard good things, but they have a very limited number of sites, so it's hard to get in.  I actually called them today to try to reserve a site in a couple weeks, but they were booked.  We'll plan sooner next time.

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
We hiked Pilot Mt state park last month and their campground was closed while they put in a new sewer system. The sites were small-ish, any thing longer than 25 feet would be a tight squeeze, but if they are finished with the construction, that may be a good option.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

catawba1

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
Cross country campground exit 36 mooresville hwy 150 west 15 miles, Oct is a busy time for campgrounds, Halloween and fall leaves, I have lived in this area 50 years, if I can be of help just ask.

robertusa123

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »
If you going north i77 third Virginia watch your speed.   The local sheriff's departments like to do fund raising
1996  26ft. 3 kids 2 dog and the wife too

mj1angier

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »
We hiked Pilot Mt state park last month and their campground was closed while they put in a new sewer system. The sites were small-ish, any thing longer than 25 feet would be a tight squeeze, but if they are finished with the construction, that may be a good option.

We stayed a weekend 2 years ago. They had 10 sites, all concrete pull thru, with gravel around them. No shade. These are made for large campers that folks spend 95% of their time inside. Not really anything to do in campground- they do have a small pond to fish in. Super nice bathhouse- nicer than the one in my house,LOL. If I remember it was $50 a night. I would rather stay at Stone Mt. State Park
2017 Outback 250URS