size air conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big a pop-up and how hot is the weather? Generally pop-ups can get by with the smaller roof mount a/cs, which aren't all that small anyway. A Coleman Mini-Mach is about 6000 btus and all the rest are in the 11,000-13,500 range. 6000 will handle most smaller RVs in northern summers. Bigger rigs  or hotter weather need the larger sizes.

Or are you talking about residential style window a/c?

In any case, you have to be concerned about power draw. Will yu power it directly from the camp site power pole or plug to an outlet on the pop-up? In either case you are probably sharing a 15 or 20A circuit with whatever else you are powering on the site, but in the pop-up circuit you are limited by the pop-ups own power cord and circuit breakers.

[edit]fixed typos - no substantive change[/edit]

I once mounted a standard window AC unit from Sears in the bottom of a popup,  To be honest, I don't suggeste doing this as they are not all that effective, sun load on a tent is rather great

I used the same AC unit (The very same AC unit) in my bedroom at home.  And later on a Scamp (replaced a window, did a bit of framing to seal it in properly) On the scamp, which is a firberglass bubble, it worked rather well.  For years I never saw another scamp... Then we towed it up to General RV and towed the tow vehcile back home with a Class A,  Since then I can't hardly climb into the driver's seat of the "A" w/o seeing at least one SCAMP on the road.

I would like to use a roof mount in place of the power vent.  The unit is prewired and supported for a/c.  The extended length of unit is 22'.  The box width is 85" but there is a dinette slide out.  Open height is 76".  As far as temperature we would probably be camping in the summer at the shore for 3-4 days.  I guess temps could be in 90's.

Get the full size model rather than the small one. The big one is usually 13,500 btus and you will need it for a 22 ft trailer in 90+ temps. The high efficiency ones (use less power for same btus) is well worth the price, in my opinion. Especially if you have to run off a single 15 or 20A outlet.

If you can, I would suggest leaving the power vent alone and installing the a/c independently. An a/c unit is not a substitute for a fan when it comes to exhausting hot, stale air and drawing in fresh air - the interior part of the a/c is sealed from the outside air, so its' fan will merely circulate the inside air.

One of our friends had a popup with a regular window unit.  They didn't even attempt to use it during the day, but said it did a great job at night. 

I've seen the window style mounted through the side/front/rear wall, down low below the folding part. Also seen the typical RV roof mount.  And I saw one that mounted a window a/c through the folding sidewall (it was a hard sided model) and it was removed to fold the pup down. Not a big deal with a 4000-5000 btu window type.  I've also seen the portable (roll around) a/c units in use - that may be the easiest solution for night tie use. Just move it out of the way during the day - even put it outside (with a cover in case of rain).

You will most likely enjoy the Carrier Air-V 13,500 unit best - it comes with a template/directions for installation.  The carrier Air-V has a 'slinger wheel' which aids in the removal of condensation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom