Heat and smell in the bedroom...final installment!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

casualemt

Hi all, I have been dealing with lots of heat an smell in the bedroom on my 2005 Journey for over a year. To recap, our first trip of 5000 miles, heat and stink, cleared up after a few minutes parked.. Prepping for our trip this year, I discovered the engine cover was on upside down, and the insulation was on the gasket for the engine cover, also discovered the tail pipe was rusted through, thought I had solved the problem..nope! 2200 mi into our trip this year, I had another problem... We parked the Journey at our destination, and I kicked on the generator to run the AC, and the transfer switch wouldn't kick on. After running the genset for about 5 minutes, the switch finally tripped, after that I had no problem with it.  A few days later after getting the power hooked up, I pulled the cover on the switch to see if there was a problem with it. I immediately saw that the inside of the box looked like it had gotten very hot, and the painted sheet metal the box was mounted on was showing signs of being burned. I looked under the RV behind where the box was mounted, looked burned also. I discovered the exhaust pipe coming from the turbo where it turned 90 degrees was completely rotted out with a huge hole dumping hot exhaust right on the area behind the transfer switch, which is under the rear bed!! I ended up removing the exhaust system, I was able to find a replacement pipe at the local Freightliner shop, which was awesome. Put it all back together, and now have about 1000 miles on it, viola! No more heat, no more stink! I am thrilled!

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

I know this is an old topic, but wanted to thanks the OP for this.  I have a 2007 Journey and the first trip out, I closed the door to the bedroom.  When I stopped some hours later, I had a lot of exhaust type smell, but it too quickly dissipated.  If I leave the door open, I don't get it as bad.  I found no trouble from my engine hatches (3 of them on the Journey 39K) so was puzzled.  I now know where to look next.  Thanks for the hints of what to try next.

Jay

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K/350 Cat

Curiosity...

How many miles are on the coach?
Where has it been living that the exhaust is in so much trouble ?

Hi, it is a curiosity to me as well, the Journey was originally purchased in Washington, and as far as I can tell, has always resided in Washington. With 26K on the odo, it could have traveled anywhere. If you look at one of my earliest posts, prior to purchasing it, I noted it seemed to have a fair amount of rust underneath, the kind of rust you might expect to see on an east coast winter driver...you know, salted roads. I have since purchase, gone through the undercarriage and cleaned and treated all the rusty areas with Ospho. There was no areas that appeared to have any damage from corrosion, and nicely cleaned up, except the tail pipe and this 90 degree adapter. I attribute that damage to a combination of the corrosive factor (probably salt) and the heat of the engine exhaust accelerating the corrosion. The muffler appeared to have a galvanized coating which protected it from corrosion, so it was in excellent shape.

Back
Top Bottom