New buyer - what add-ons to buy/negotiate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2b1ask1

So, we are buying our first TT. Of course, in addition to the TT itself, there will be extra items to buy. What items are "must haves" to either negotiate with the sale, buy or both? My initial thoughts go to things like sway control hitches, choks, hoses, in-line water filter, etc. Thanks in advance for your input.

Have the seller install a set of tires that have been manufactured within the last 6 months.

Welcome to the Forum!

First, do not buy a bunch of "stuff" just in case....

Second, BUY USED.  It makes mistakes much less expensive and it lets someone else get all those pesky manufacturer issues fixed.

You generally get most of the essentials with the unit.  These include:

White water hose for potable water
3" Stinky Slinky (sewer drain) with fittings to dump the tanks
Power supply cord
Wheel chocks
Scrap 2X8 lumber to level TT and support all jacks
Bottle opener

These are absolute basics.  There is another 2 page list of stuff recommended for most campers, but not required to start.

If buying new, make sure the dealer doesn't screw you out of things that ~should~ come with the trailer in the first place? one dealer Sales Manager tried to tell us that the propane tanks and a 12V battery were "optional extras" on a trailer we were negotiating on.

Fortunately we weren't born yesterday. They aren't. We walked.

Do you have a weight-distributing hitch for your tow vehicle? If not, this is a good time to negotiate for one. But do some onllne research first, so you know what a reasonable price is.

Three years ago we were new to the TT buying game but we were able to negotiate an upgrade on the bed (that's something you will probably want for sure), doors installed underneath the dinette seats, a wasp inlet preventer, and a cap for the front of the TT. (I think the front cap looks sharp and makes the  TT look more modern.  We have had lots of compliments on the looks of our humble TT.  I hope the cap will add to the ease of reselling.) 

The dealership also helped us find the best interest rate on our TT.  The dealer's finance manager found a source of financing that beat US Bank's rate for employees.

Knowing what I know now, I would definitely have tried to negotiate a discount on a Reese Dual Cam setup.

Other ideas would be a longer sewer hose and a discount on a Progressive Power Surge Protector. 

If they know that you are new.....they might want to walk you around the store at the place you buy it and point out all of the things that you 'need'.

My advice......you need a fresh water house, a sewage hose, a power cord (might be with the RV already), a coaxial cable for TV, some holding tank deodorizers/break down stuff.  And that is about all you really 'have' to have right now.  All of the jack pads, wheel stabilizers, covers, tongue tripods and stuff like that are things that you can get later if you want them at all.  Get the must have items now and go camping.  Figure out what else you would like to have by using the RV.

A lot of times, dealers throw in a "starter kit". Usually a freshwater hose, (sometimes it's 10', sometimes it's 25'), an adapter from 30 amp to 15 amp outlet, a cheap sewer hose (that's next to worthless), maybe a water pressure "regulator" (if it's there, throw it away. It's just a brass water flow restrictor, not a real regulator). The starter kit usually has black tank treatment (that's really not needed) and maybe a couple of other small things. The biggest thing is a notepad and pencil. As you come across things that you need/want, write it down.
Try camping out in your yard, or very close to home. If you really need something that bad, run to the house and get it, or run to Walmart.
A decent sewer hose is near the top of the list, Valterra and Rhino are both popular brands. I have both, and I like the Valterra better. You obviously will need enough freshwater hose to supply your RV too. When camping, you will most likely spend more time outside than inside. Get some COMFORTABLE outdoor chairs. One of the first things I add to mine is covers over the vents on the roof so you can leave the vents open during the rain. As far as dishes, a lot of us use Corelle. It's kinda heavy, but for the most part, they don't break.
The biggest thing is, don't go crazy buying "all things RV & camping", it's easy to get caught up doing that, and a lot of it really doesn't get used.

Beware of the dealer trying to sell you a starter kit for $199.  It has about $50 worth of junk in it.  The starter kit bucket and the water hose are about the only things you will use.  Amazon is your friend.

Back
Top Bottom