Winnebago buys Grand Design RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandhill Guy

I just read that Winnebago has purchased Grand Design RV who makes 5th wheels and travel trailers. It will be interesting to see if the great customer service will be impacted. The original founders and owners will continue to the manage the company.

What is going on? My whole world is topsy turvy. First, Thor takes over Airstream and then this. And today I also find out Bass Pro Shop is buying Cabela's.  :mad: They better not mess with my elk and venison sandwiches.

Hi,

Sigh. More market consolidation. And in a brand we're interested at (GD). Well, let's hope they continue to make good 5ers and support/service them well...

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Sandhill Guy said:
I just read that Winnebago has purchased Grand Design RV who makes 5th wheels and travel trailers. It will be interesting to see if the great customer service will be impacted. The original founders and owners will continue to the manage the company.

A Real Possible...BUMMER. I also hope the CEO's will maintain the SUPER Customer Care I and other GD buyers have enjoyed. The Quality Control and Quality Assurance TOO !

I'd step up and say: In 40+ years of the RV Life Style.. 5 RV's later..  Our "Reflection" by Grand Design.. is the Best RV we've owned. Bar None.

We will be watching... to see what happens ?

BUMMER.

My local dealer told me if all their units arrive to them in as good shape as the Grand Designs did, he would have to get rid of a prep guy. He said once they leave the factory building and move across the street to the QA building, they are pretty much ready to go when he gets them. We are considering a Grand Design, and I hope this remains true after Winnebago gets them. From what I've seen, Winnebago doesn't do any better job on QA than anyone else.

I own a GD and before that had a KZ.  The KZ before buy out was the best RV I ever owned. I looked at them in Hershey and Tampa before buying the GD. The quality went downhill fast after sale.
Winnebago is a public company profits rule the day. I soon as a read press release I knew GD was off my list. From today on employees will be concerned with changes and keeping there job. Quality will suffer and in 2 or 3 years GD will be a forgotten name. 

VallAndMo said:
Hi,

Sigh. More market consolidation. And in a brand we're interested at (GD). Well, let's hope they continue to make good 5ers and support/service them well...

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Hello....it's Thor. :(

Hello everyone,

Interesting newspiece for those interested in what's happening with GD: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/12/winnebago-ceo-addresses-grand-design-dealers/

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

We'll See.

We've had NO major or "Take It Back To The Dealer" problems with our Reflection. I sure hope GD doesn't get swallowed up..

Joe

VallAndMo said:
Sigh. More market consolidation. And in a brand we're interested at (GD).

A symptom of our low interest rate culture at the moment - quite simply, it's cheaper to grow through acquisition (funded at low rates) than it is to innovate. There are so many opportunities to create something better - but the marketplace has to change to force companies to innovate again :D

piston9 said:
A symptom of our low interest rate culture at the moment - quite simply, it's cheaper to grow through acquisition (funded at low rates) than it is to innovate. There are so many opportunities to create something better - but the marketplace has to change to force companies to innovate again :D

FWIW ?

I was talking with GD customer service about individual grey tank capacity's the other day.. while he was looking up our 29RS, by Vin.. I mentioned the Take over/Buy Out. The Rep said: There will be no changes. "They" liked our Business Model, Everything will stay the same. "They" are just our Parent Company now.

Hope so. Again.. We'll See.

Said it before, but I'll say it again: I sure do like the Customer Service from GD. NO major issues, but lots of Tech questions (their Owners Manual.. is Generic, at best). Every Tech question I've had, has been answered VIN # specific.

Hello Joe,

BIG JOE said:
Said it before, but I'll say it again: I sure do like the Customer Service from GD. NO major issues, but lots of Tech questions (their Owners Manual.. is Generic, at best). Every Tech question I've had, has been answered VIN # specific.

Thanks for the info. We sure do hope GD keeps up the good work, as one of their models is on our final list. Glad to hear things continue to work well for you even after the acquisition.

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

BruceinFL said:
What is going on? My whole world is topsy turvy. First, Thor takes over Airstream and then this. And today I also find out Bass Pro Shop is buying Cabela's.  :mad: They better not mess with my elk and venison sandwiches.

I realize this is an old post, but for history I should point out that Thor started in the RV business with the Acquisition of Airstream in August of 1980. In other words, Airstream was the beginning of Thor Industries.

I am glad you popped this thread to the top and I noticed it.  This stinks (or does it?)  I have been dreaming and drooling over a Grand Design Momentum 350M luxury toyhauler.  In second place is the KZ Venom 3411TK.  I love everything I see about the Grand Design unit.  Have any of yall noticed the quality deteriorating since the buyout?

BIG JOE said:
FWIW ?

I was talking with GD customer service about individual grey tank capacity's the other day.. while he was looking up our 29RS, by Vin.. I mentioned the Take over/Buy Out. The Rep said: There will be no changes. "They" liked our Business Model, Everything will stay the same. "They" are just our Parent Company now.

Hope so. Again.. We'll See.

This is probably true until the bean counters get involved. We see good product go bad and it seems to be when Management, Engineering, and accounting staff change and I think it is due to job security.

Back
Top Bottom