Can anyone recommend a good porta-potti?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes use the bag in your existing toilet. I'll get back to you on the bags we used. I think they were less expensive. The enzyme that comes in the bag breaks down the waste so that it can be thrown away in the trash can, dumpster etc.

Tom

tc tom said:
Yes use the bag in your existing toilet. I'll get back to you on the bags we used. I think they were less expensive. The enzyme that comes in the bag breaks down the waste so that it can be thrown away in the trash can, dumpster etc.

Tom

Ok thanks for your help Tom. Now I'm re-thinking this and thinking using bags is the way to go with this. Especially since it will just be for pee and nothing else.

Here's what I do -I've got a 5th wheel parked near Lake Tahoe that I use on weekends year round. We get lots of snow up there, but it's rarely below 0 degrees. I clear out all the water lines and drain the fresh water and dump the tanks in the fall. I then pour about a quart of the red sink anti freeze into the toilet and the kitchen sink.

All winter, I use the toilet. i flush using a gallon of water I bring with me and just pour it in. One time I had the dreaded "poop pyramid", when it was minus 5 for a couple weekends. I now use more water when flushing #2 and plug in my tank heaters when it's below about 10 degrees (see below). I use the red antifreeze when I leave for the week, so the water seal doesn't freeze. I also bring a gallon of water to the kitchen and use that to wash my hands, face and dishes. My wife warms the water on the stove to wash her face in the morning and evening. If we are there for a few days, we fillup a 2 gallon ice tea jug with a spigot, so we have "running water", then drain that back to a gallon jug when we leave.

I also installed heater pads to the holding tanks. I think I paid about $50 for three pads. The pads are about 1' x 3', have a self sticking backing and are 12v. I plug them in during the coldest times of the winter. I haven't had a problem with the tanks freezing or cracking and I've done this for 5 years. The only problem (other than the poop pyramid) is one of the drain slides froze up one year and cracked a little bit, so I leak a few drops of sink water each day.

This works for me, but it's usually 10 to 30 degrees, and rarely below 0 where I'm parked.

Hope this helps.

hpcmbw said:
Here's what I do -I've got a 5th wheel parked near Lake Tahoe that I use on weekends year round. We get lots of snow up there, but it's rarely below 0 degrees. I clear out all the water lines and drain the fresh water and dump the tanks in the fall. I then pour about a quart of the red sink anti freeze into the toilet and the kitchen sink.

All winter, I use the toilet. i flush using a gallon of water I bring with me and just pour it in. One time I had the dreaded "poop pyramid", when it was minus 5 for a couple weekends. I now use more water when flushing #2 and plug in my tank heaters when it's below about 10 degrees (see below). I use the red antifreeze when I leave for the week, so the water seal doesn't freeze. I also bring a gallon of water to the kitchen and use that to wash my hands, face and dishes. My wife warms the water on the stove to wash her face in the morning and evening. If we are there for a few days, we fillup a 2 gallon ice tea jug with a spigot, so we have "running water", then drain that back to a gallon jug when we leave.

I also installed heater pads to the holding tanks. I think I paid about $50 for three pads. The pads are about 1' x 3', have a self sticking backing and are 12v. I plug them in during the coldest times of the winter. I haven't had a problem with the tanks freezing or cracking and I've done this for 5 years. The only problem (other than the poop pyramid) is one of the drain slides froze up one year and cracked a little bit, so I leak a few drops of sink water each day.

This works for me, but it's usually 10 to 30 degrees, and rarely below 0 where I'm parked.

Hope this helps.

Just curious now what you do for heat?

I have decided not to use my RV during the winter time beyond just using it like a box truck. It just gets way to cold here and with the propane heater using the propane so quickly so that's not going to work out. I have a space heater but the floor is just to cold without the use of the RV heater. If I could use the RV propane heater then I would do it. The few times I tested out the propane heater it was great and also heated the floor. It's a bummer because I was hoping I could use it year round. Now I can only use it for half the year  :-\

We use the installed propane heater in the rv and it works just fine. We also use a small electric heater in the bedroom at night just to keep it around 55 degrees (we have an electrical hookup). We don't go through enough propane for me to even know how much I spend on propane - maybe I fill the two 7 gallon/30 lb tanks once or twice a year?

Ours is a 30' RV fifth wheel, not a toy hauler. It's about 20 years old, and it's not a high end or cold weather specific RV, just a run of the mill 1990s RV with one slideout in the living room. Your toy hauler might not stay as warm if it's more of a garage setup than a living room/kitchen setup. We close off the bedroom and bathroom and only heat the living room/kitchen when hanging out and watching tv. Then heat only the bedroom when we go to bed. We also have an electric blanket on the bed to pre heat it for those cold nights. We've spent a few -5 degree nights comfortably in it.

Good luck.

If you are still considering a porta potti, be sure to get one with the swing out drain pipe.  Thetford has one like that that I just replaced my old one with after I watched someone else dump theirs and I saw how easy that swing out pipe made it.

Mile High said:
If you are still considering a porta potti, be sure to get one with the swing out drain pipe.  Thetford has one like that that I just replaced my old one with after I watched someone else dump theirs and I saw how easy that swing out pipe made it.

Thanks for this info. Things can change and I might need one and my concern with a porta potty was dumping it and having it get all over. I will have to take a look at the Thetford one with the swing out drain pipe.

Mile High said:

Mike, Can you please give me the model # for the Thetford porta-potti your referring to. Thanks!

Is it  this one? Thetford 92360 Porta Potti 550E

tracyc said:
Mike, Can you please give me the model # for the Thetford porta-potti your referring to. Thanks!

Is it  this one? Thetford 92360 Porta Potti 550E

Yep, that one does (nice model by the way).  It may be that all Thetfords have it.  Mine is a Thetford 320P, small to fit under the rear boat seat.  it replaced a Passport porta potti that did not have that pipe so you had to get right in there and turn it over 180 degrees.  Ok for dumping in a toilet but could never hit a drain pipe at a dump station. 

The swing out pipe is shown on this video for the one you are looking at.  http://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-curve/

Can I just say in a very well intentioned way that this thread cracks me up?? 

Why not just use the house?  Aren't you just a few steps away from it?

KandT said:
Can I just say in a very well intentioned way that this thread cracks me up?? 

Why not just use the house?  Aren't you just a few steps away from it?

Glad you got a laugh out of it LOL

Well in the winter time when there is tons of snow I wouldn't want to have to go to my house. And I have kind of an overactive bladder so when I have to go I have to go quick  :(

Hey I see you also have a 2006 Thor Fun Winds. Is yours a Chateau? How long have you had yours and how do you like it?

Hey I see you also have a 2006 Thor Foun Winds. Is yours a Chateau? How long have you had yours and how do you like it?
[/quote]

We have had it one season and it is not the chateau.  It is just called a 31p.  Not sure of the difference.  I saw a chateau online and didn't see any difference. 

We like it but wish it had a little better build in some spots.  Overall I would give it a thumbs up!!

KandT said:
Hey I see you also have a 2006 Thor Foun Winds. Is yours a Chateau? How long have you had yours and how do you like it?

We have had it one season and it is not the chateau.  It is just called a 31p.  Not sure of the difference.  I saw a chateau online and didn't see any difference. 

We like it but wish it had a little better build in some spots.  Overall I would give it a thumbs up!!

I only wish mine had more storage space in the living area. I would love to have a wardrobe closet. I just need something to bigger to put some of my bigger business equipment in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom