My Class A won't crank!! Help needed please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2006FWS

I have a 2006, Fleetwood Storm Class A RV that refuses to crank over.  I have checked and charged the battery.  It's good.  I get the (!) on the dash saying my parking break is on.  I get all the lights on the dash when going from off to accessories.  I have tried starting it in neutral and in park.  It had no effect.  I jumped the two terminals on the starter and the starter came to life.  It's like I'm missing some silly step!  I also tried to close the cabin door, and I can hear the starter relay (under the hood) click as if it was crossing over to allow the flow of voltage.  PLEASE HELP!! 

Dead starter solenoid, loose or missing ground, bad ignition switch all come to mind.

Where does one get electrical schematics for an RV?  I have one but its for a 2004.

Testing ignition  switch and safety lock outs is pretty straight forward..... Just need a test light or volts metter at starter solenoid.    If you get 12 volts when the switch is turned.  It most likely time for a new starter

2006FWS said:
Where does one get electrical schematics for an RV?  I have one but its for a 2004.

It has nothing to do with the RV, itr is a electrical problem that can be found on any engine.
BTW, is your "CHASSIS DISCONNECT SWITCH ON ? " That switch should be on one of the walls in your staircase or a panel just above your RV door.

One other thing you might check...on some cars...don't know about motorhomes, when you step on the brake, it disengages a switch, which allows the engine to start.On one of my cars, the plug to the switch was lose, and the switch would not disengage. Check to see if your motorhome has that switch. It should be located directly above the arm for the brake pedal. I believe this is some kind of safety feature that makes you step on the brake in order to start the engine, or switch out of park.

You said the starter relay clicks, but you need to check the solenoid. Guess it's mounted on the starter (not remote like Fords). Turn the ignition on and check for + voltage on the positive terminal. If no + voltage, the problem is between the ignition switch (assuming you have voltage to the switch) and the solenoid. If there is + voltage, jump the two terminals on the solenoid and it should click and the starter should engage. If no click, the solenoid is either bad or has a loose connection inside. If the starter engages when you jump the two heavy terminals on it, there's nothing wrong with it.
As others have said, be sure such things as a neutral safety switch (automatic transmission) or clutch safety (probably not applicable....manual transmission) are working properly.

Back
Top Bottom