Another tire thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5thcrank

I keep reading nightmare threads about Chinese tires and 5th wheel trailers.  Then I read that Maxxis tires are the solution.  Then I read that Maxxis tires are now made in China.

Try and forget the China vs US quality argument for a moment.  Has anyone had problems with recently purchased Maxxis tires?

I am considering going to 16" rims and Michelin XPS tires.  By the time I change hubs and rims (plus a minor suspension mod) I will be into this about $2000, as opposed to four Maxxis tires at $500.  A difference of $1500 seems like a lot of money until one is stuck on the side of the road with a blown tire and blown spare.

Doug

What axles do you have?  6K axles should already have 6 lug hubs, so a simple set of wheels plus tires will work easily.  But 2K is what you should expect to pay for everything.  Sailun tires also have a decent reputation in ST design.

They are six lug.  My justification for going to 8 lug is that I can carry two spares that will also fit the truck.  The hubs are only $380 and that includes bearings, seals, and caps.  The XPS tire was designed for commercial applications and is much stiffer than the LTX - perfect for a dual use tire.

8Muddypaws said:
Peace of mind and safety are worth much more than $2000.

My thoughts exactly.

OTOH, I've a bad habit of overthinking (and overspending) problems.  Thus my query about the Maxxis tires.  If they are good tires I can replace them every 2-3 years and still have less invested than going with Michelins.

Sorry, your trucks wheel likely will NOT fit your trailer.  Offset will be way different.

But, if your dead set on this avenue, why n?ot simply buy a set of 8K axles?  Total cost will probably be less, and then you will also get better spindles.

I second what Donn suggested. 

Think about getting a TPMS.  Carry 2 spares.  Still cheaper.  there are plenty of good tires (probably better than Michelins) for less money.  Bridgestone, Goodyear, Toyo, Sumitomo etc. 

Personally I will never trust a Chinese tire again.  I don't care what name they stamp on them.  I've seen too many go boom with only a year or two on them.

Back
Top Bottom