Governor Cancels My Park Reservations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I was on my way to rendezvous with my reservation this weekend at Colleton State park in SC followed by a 3 week trip to the beach at Hunting Island in SC.

The governor has cancelled my reservations in favor of a coastal evacuation due to hurricane Matthew. I've been scrambling around for alternatives. Many of the evacuees have booked the campgrounds in addition to the usual weekend campers.

Life is goof.

Attachments

• hurricane MATTHEW.gif
    hurricane MATTHEW.gif
    47.3 KB · Views: 10
We were due to head south on I-26  to I-95 for the start of our snow birding, but they closed the south bound I-26 lanes heading south, and every lane is just opened for evacuees heading inland, so we are in a holding pattern.
We were going to take an inland route through Atlanta, but heard that many of the gas stations in Florida were running out of gas.
  We'll stay in a holding patter here at home with every thing packed.

jack L

I was planning on going south next Thursday and picking up I-95 just south of Richmond all the way down to Jacksonville FL. Doesn't look good now. I hope everyone is heeding the warnings and evacuating if told to.

I think we have a space or two here at Cathead Creek,,, May have to put you on the electric only site but it's only 25/night for 30 amps and I think your rig is 30 amps.  For just a night or two not too bad  Exit 49 off I-95 and if coming from the south turn left 3 miles

Just before you get here the road you are on (251) hangs a hard right, but another road (COX) continues straight DO NOT TURN

3rd driveway is the RV park.. Linda is the park host. 

AS I TYPE: McIntosh County (inland) is mixed, Some of my weather apps are sayign Hurricane Warning, others are saying Glynn County is under warning we are not.. We are expecting wind and rain however.  And we have a lot of open space so wind really gets ripping.

Rene T said:
I was planning on going south next Thursday and picking up I-95 just south of Richmond all he way down to Lakeland FL. Doesn't look good now. I hope everyone is heeding the warnings and evacuating if told to.
Go west young man, go west.

Everyone here in South Florida is running around like a bunch of disorganized mob. With that said, here in Homestead we don't expect much, those further north should use extreme caution. We had a feeder band go through about an hour ago which really didn't produce much rain but we are expecting a lot more this afternoon. I don't believe we will see that much wind but that is my opinion. Stay away from the coast until we see which way Matthew goes.

It looks like a lot of fairgrounds and racetracks with camping areas are opening up to evacuees. Atlanta Motor Speedway is one.

It will be literally parking lot camping, but hey... it's free.

I am doing the campground shuffle tomorrow, someone cancelled at Andrew Jackson (SC) state park nearby and I jumped on their reservation. Whee!

Shame to leave my nice spot on Lake Wylie, but Beaufort evacuees beat me to the reservation.

I was checking reservation websites every hour through late in the night. I was hoping a local would cancel their weekend plans and open up a spot for an evacuee like me.

I was able to get some provisions this morning finally including *ahem* a trip to the ABC (liquor) store. Normally I don't drink, but I've been through hurricanes and rum squalls before, so it could happen. Sure takes the edge off!

Doggy is high energy, first he didn't want to go out in the rain, then at the liquor store he was ready to bust so we went for parking lot walk in search of wet grass he could make wetter.

A few weeks ago, I had reluctantly gave away my wonderful designer trench coat that was both beautiful and super dry to wear in the rain. It fit the lady I gave it to, much better as she had longer arms than my short stubs. It was just taking up so much room in my storage starved RV. I have 14 windows, and that means less storage, but I can't give up a single window because I crave natural light. I don't know how folks like in the new cave-like RV's that come with a window smaller than a pizza box. I would feel so trapped, but to each their own.

Just last week a dear friend gave me a brand new light weight rain jacket! Amazing! She didn't even know I had given up my beautiful trench coat. Funny how that happens.

It's one of those super lightweight rainproof jackets that can fold up to fit inside a sandwich baggy. I was thinking it would be nice for the bicycle bag. But I've used it a lot the past few days. I am lucky it fits me perfectly and covers my torso and most of my thighs. Wheee!

Back
Top Bottom