WHat is best inside digital air antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haydterca

We have a 2004 Roadtrek we just got. We are replacing old analog tv with digital tv. Antenna built into the roof is analog.  Would like to know best inside digital air antenna to buy.  Might have to go to an outside one and mount it somewhere but would like to start with inside one if possible.

Thanks

There is no such thing as a digital antenna. All antennas are both digital or analogue. You can use your current antenna without any issues.

Like Tom said, an antenna is an antenna, it doesn't care if it's receiving an analog or digital signal.

You'll get better reception with the rooftop antenna than with anything you can put inside the RV.

The main difference between the old analog TV signals and today's digital is in the analog days, stations were divided between the VHF and UHF bands.  Now most (but not all) digital stations are on UHF, even if they identify as Channels 2-13.

There are add-ons like the Winegard Wingman that enhance the UHF performance of the batwing if you're not satisfied with how it works.

You're welcome, and by the way ... Welcome to The RV Forum!

Let us know how your Roadtrek works out.

I put a Winegard RV-WING Wingman White UHF Booster TV Antenna from amazon on mine, it did substanially improve the digital reception and got rid of the pixlating.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U2DPUE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=motorhomeandrvstore-20&linkId=d9c2929ce5b639c48f55c8a38829169f

Haydterca said:
We have a 2004 Roadtrek we just got. We are replacing old analog tv with digital tv. Antenna built into the roof is analog.  Would like to know best inside digital air antenna to buy.  Might have to go to an outside one and mount it somewhere but would like to start with inside one if possible.

Thanks

As Seller said. No such thing as a digital antenna, no matter what the stores label boxes, The antennas are just radio antennas. (Television, be it Digital or analog or.. Something else not yet invented, is Radio).

You ask what the best is.. Well for a house this is not the answer but for an RV

Winegard Sensar II or III with added Wingman or Sensar IV (Comes with Wingman) and a Sensar Pro replacing the wall plate (The plate with the Switch, Light, 12 volt outlet and antenna connection which is likely where your main TV connects)

That's the best. It is what I use to see stations 50 miles away give or take a bit.

If you have a smart phone also get an assistant app like Antenna Helper Free

The App gets you started at aiming the antenna.. The Sensar Pro finishes the job and adds a host of other features as well

NOTE on the Sensar Pro.. the DISPLAY Times out. the unit is still working but the display turns off.

Upgrading the antenna (Adding Wingman) You may wish a standard pair of Slip Joint pliers. You can also use most any pair of pliers... Slip joint is best but needle nose, Channel lock, all can be used.. I did not need them but some times they help.

Upgrading the Wall plate takes a screwdriver.. Just one.

We bought a new tv and hooked it up to the roof antenna and it worked!! Thanks for your help. Saved us buying a new antenna.

Too much hype over the word "digital" when referring to antenna's.  "Google" home made antenna and see what you come up with.  I took a 2X4 , 4 coat hangers and a small part called a Balun?  (the small 2 prong thing used on old tv's for cable.)  You would be surprised the reception you get with that.  The higher in the air the better.

If the roof antenna is a winegard Sensar II or III the addition of the Wingman will improve UHF reception by about 3DB (2x the power 1.414 the range)

And inside where that wall plate is with the switch, light, 12 volt and antenna "outlets".. Replacing that with a Sensar Pro will make an even greater improvement I think I described above.

The first upgrade (Wingman) you need only a ladder and POSSIBLY (I did not) a common pair of pliers
The process: On the bottom of the antenna are 3 or 4 rubber feet, They are pressed in, Pull them out (Pliers may be needed for this, or not)  Center the holes on the Wingman over the holes just vacated and press 3 or 4 plastic PUSH PINS into the holes, NO tools other hand needed.. Return to earth, job done.

The second: If replacing a wall plate
Remove wall plate (Screwdriver)
Transfer 12 volt wires to sensar pro
One at a time transfer cables to sensro pro as follows

With cables at bottom of Wall plate and extending down
LEFT cable (Facing rear) is ANT, Next is CABLE next is TV-2 (And if you have it 3)

Notch the wall a bit so TV-1 can extend out beside the Sensar Pro

Attempt to insert teh sensar Pro where the old wall plate was.. If it fits, good, if it won't go all the way in there is a "Spacer" included, use it

Replace screws

Press MODE button, it should light up, find the strongest Digital carrier, display the CARRIER channel and signal strength,  Rotate antenna to peak streangth.  Scan for channels with TV..

NOTE: Carrier channle is not always the same as TV channel.. For example when I'm in Oconee County SC 13 is 13,, In Flint Mi area 12 is 12    But Channel 7 (Detroit) is broadcast on channel 41. 41 is thus the CARRIER frequency. 

This last you do not need to knwo, your TV will figure it out and may even tell you what is what if you know how to ask.w  But save for antenna pointing, you really do not need to know.

FYI, in a Roadtrek, the antenna is INSIDE the roof. Not one you crank up that is mounted to the top of the roof.  So far, the original antenna is working great!  If we ever need to add a different antenna looks like the Winegard is the way to go.

I have a customer with a 2003 Roadtrek, with in roof antenna. It's not very functional. I installed a Winegard batwing on the roof and a Sensor Pro. The lady who owns the Trek thinks the up grade is worth every penny. Then we shut off the "almost charger" function on her Tripplite inverter and installed a PD 9160 converter.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom