Matthew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad everyone posted their safety. Please help us pray for Bobby's brother and wife in St Augustine. They boarded up their house near the intercoastal and went to a friend's further west. We just got some rain and wind. Nothing as bad as a summer thunderstorm. We are just watching movies and baseball. GO CUBS!!!

Here outside of Ocala we lost power at 8:30 a.m. and it's still out, but otherwise this is a non-event. Florida thunderstorms are often more dangerous. I'm not complaining - better an excess of caution than a disaster. The power companies are reluctant to send crews out when the winds are still whipping around - even 20 mpg is a lot if you are in a bucket lift or climbing a pole.

We have the coach in the yard and I powered up the genset after we went a couple hours without power. Ran an extension cord into the house to power a few things, e.g. the house fridge, and charge phones and computers.

Talked to a friend in Titusville around 5am and he said they were getting some pretty strong winds. Around 10am he posted on Facebook that the wind blew his privacy fence down but otherwise everything else was ok.

Gary---We lucked out so far, no power outage.  We're in a gated community with all utilities underground.

I am doing the campground shuffle in South Carolina. Found another park that had a vacancy come open at midnight, so I snatched it up. PHEW. I really and truly do not like to shop at Walmart, and the thought of camping there really churned my tummy.

At each camp I am meeting lots of evacuees and also snowbirds on their way to Florida who are stopped in their tracks. Also, people like me who are supposed to be camping on the coast but can't.

I bought some provisions today including comfort foods like a trip to the ABC store. Usually I don't drink at all, but during a hurricane, it can take the edge off for sure.  ::)

Doggy does not like this weather.

Anytime the rains slack off, I drag him out briefly as then he drags me right back inside. He was crying when we came back, poor baby. Then I realized he was crying for a towel because he was soaking wet.

So I fluffed him up again much to his delight.

Bored with our small indoor space, he had three  rough and tumble rounds with Bear-neice before he tired of her fighting. Now he has discovered my new pillow and moved it more to his liking, then planted himself in the middle of it to clean his privates. Good grief.

I never buy cookies. But I bought some Pepperidge Farm Double Chocolate cookies and they are heavenly. Only 8 to a bag and I fear I have demolished a quarter of them already.  I am going to hide the rest with the liquor I am hiding from the ranger.

Another late check in just showed up to claim the one empty spot here.

Life is goof.

Our daughter and her family were scheduled to fly out of Orlando yesterday, but they closed the airport. The family changed the car rental, drove to Atlanta, and caught a flight from there. Arrived home in Oh safely.

SeilerBird said:
John, it is not the speed of the wind that is the real problem, it is the things the wind are throwing around.

I agree and a few things have hit my Motor home.. Not sure what they were but from teh sound of the impact nothing big, (thinking perhaps the plug on the end of a power cord)  No damage, Wind is still in the 20MPH range from the effect on the Motor home... Though the eye is moving towards me I expect that to start changing in an hour or two due to changing conditions and I really do not expect it to get much worse than it is now, perhaps 4-50MPH where i'm at well within past experience.

Rain is medium heavy, Expect it to also about double

The experts are predicting a storm surge as high as 9 Feet, was 12, so that is improving, and I'm at 15 so I should be good.

SeilerBird said:
They still do occasionally. Nicole is sitting right off shore right now.

Nichole has died and is now a tropical depression.......they are looking for OJ.

Thought I would say it before someone else did

I am in Lancaster SC since my coastal reservations were cancelled by the governor.

It has been steady rain since sunset and sunrise is about 10 minutes away and it's still just pouring down.

Poor doggy. He doesn't like to go out in the rain to do his thing. Usually I carry the garbage out once or twice a day and doggy loves to do his thing at the dumpster area. However the dumpster in this camp is quite a long ways from the camp sites, so I've got quite the hike to get it out.

There is no storm damage I can see anywhere in my neighborhood (out in the Ocala Nat'l Forest), but I hear that a major tree fall on a highway two miles from here took at power lines to this area. My power company says its crews were out starting at 6 am today, but they have a lot of outages and I have no idea what the priorities may be. Supposedly they have 100+ extra linemen, borrowed from out of state, so hopefully things will get fixed up soon. Meanwhile, the genset hums along!

Sun is out and it's going to get warm soon, so we might decide to get back into the coach to get some a/c.

I've been watching and searching for damage to Beverly Beach Campground. If A1A south of 100 is washed out then I can only imagine what Beverly looks like, it sits directly on the ocean with only a short seawall at the edge. It was great to camp there and wake up in the morning with nothing but water and a sunrise coming thru the windshield.

TheNewhalls said:
Sounds like you're upset with the governor.

More like ENORMOUSLY sad.

It takes a year to get a reservation at my all time favorite place in the whole wide world, Hunting Island State Park. I try to go spring and fall as an affirmation that I am still alive (another miracle!)

So missing out of my soulful commune with nature I experience there, is SAD.

My reservations run through the end of October, so hoping that some of it can be salvaged. I haven't applied for a refund yet. I am hoping to get in there and volunteer with the cleanup and just claim a refund for the days missed.

We are north of Raliegh, just south of the VA/NC border. Been raining all night and today (just a light constant rain) and we are just now getting a little wind.

We are in Leland, NC just across the river from Wilmington.  So far not much worse than a good summer thunder storm.  Just some small branches and lots of leaves down.  Yard is a lake but no big deal.  The house is up about 3'. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom