Matthew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boatbuilder said:
The house is up about 3'. 

Yeah, we are in a campground that has some really sloped sites. I was a bit disappointed at first seeing them. Now I have to say I am pretty happy as there has been a moderate constant rain for the last several hours, and will be until at least 5 PM. 

DearMissMermaid said:
I never buy cookies. But I bought some Pepperidge Farm Double Chocolate cookies and they are heavenly. I am going to hide the rest with the liquor I am hiding from the ranger. 

You gotta watch those alcoholic rangers. They'll drink your booze every time.  ;D

Glad that everyone is safe. Be careful about moving around outside as there can always be high power lines that are down. Thanks SeilierBird for starting this thread so we know your alright as well as other forum members along the path.

camperAL said:
Thanks SeilierBird for starting this thread so we know your alright as well as other forum members along the path.
You are welcome, CamperAl. I knew it had to be done since it was such a major event and we have so many people on the eastern seaboard. I wanted anyone living along the coast to realise just how serious this hurricane was.

catblaster said:
It was great to camp there and wake up in the morning with nothing but water and a sunrise coming thru the windshield.

I'd be a bit upset if the water was coming through MY windshield.  :eek:

TheNewhalls said:
We are north of Raliegh, just south of the VA/NC border. Been raining all night and today (just a light constant rain) and we are just now getting a little wind.
Update
It's raining hard and the wind has picked up a lot!

Gord Nelson said:
Ha!  Not to worry Tom.  Toronto is serving "Texas Toast" for breakfast, lunch and dinner next week!  8) ;D
But the big problem will be they the Dodgers or the Cubs will be serving up Canadian bacon for breakfast, lunch, dinner and between meal snacks.  ;D ;D ;D

Damn Matthew is really screwing up my life. I thought it was gone but it is not. They had to postpone the Dodgers Nationals game because it is raining in Washington DC. Booo.

SeilerBird said:
Damn Matthew is really screwing up my life. I thought it was gone but it is not. They had to postpone the Dodgers Nationals game because it is raining in Washington DC. Booo.

They also postponed the Sprint Cup Nascar race in Charlotte till noontime tomorrow. The Xfinity race will right after it which will be around 4:00 PM.

Nonstop rains and some wind until about an hour ago, from the NC/SC border near Lancaster, SC.

Gotta LOVE southerners.

I am only solo traveler in park.

Big family scattered among 5 different sites, brought me a huge heaping plate of homemade food, same folks I gave parking to on my lot since they ran out of room for cars.

Awesomely delicious!

SeilerBird said:
But the big problem will be they the Dodgers or the Cubs will be serving up Canadian bacon for breakfast, lunch, dinner and between meal snacks.  ;D ;D ;D

Possibly, Tom.. we'll see.  In any case, you can't get much better bacon!!!  8) ;D

My sister that lives just outside of Goldsboro, NC lost her power now too. She was told it would probably three days before it was back on. I hope not though. She's on a fixed income, with a freezer full of food. It would  be a financial devastation to lose that food. She does have enough sense to leave the freezer closed, and she was considering putting extra quilts over it for added insulation.

We got so lucky here in central Florida. Haiti got hammered and north of us there is massive flooding. The hurricane predictors got it all wrong. It did not wrap around and come back and hit Florida a second time. Instead it went up the Canada and died.

The "loop back" thing was always a statistically tiny probability, yet some of the media and emergency preparedness people chose to highlight it repeatedly. I was once again underwhelmed by the media coverage, which consisted of many hours of babble with little useful information. Whenever I tuned in (or went to a website) to find out eye location, windspeeds, track projections, or the status of evacuation routes. I instead found some gal or guy blathering about storm danger or interviewing somebody saying they would or would not  evacuate. They could have been providing up-to-the minute info on storm positions, time of arrival at various points and expected wind speeds, least congested evacuation highways, places that still had hotel rooms available, etc., but instead of useful public service they chose to "cover the story".

Gary RV Roamer said:
The "loop back" thing was always a statistically tiny probability, yet some of the media and emergency preparedness people chose to highlight it repeatedly. I was once again underwhelmed by the media coverage, which consisted of many hours of babble with little useful information.

The media here in Miami always tries to talk the storm here and of course they try to get people to panic. It takes me about 5 minutes to close my shutters but I only closed the shutters on the north side of the house because I knew that was the direction the wind would be coming from and I was not expecting 80 to 100 mph wind that they kept trying to talk in here. Now I must admit I sure missed the call on Andrew as it did make a last minute turn. Now we sit back and wait for the next one.

Talked to my sister yesterday morning. She has power back, and all is good in her community. She hasn't bothered to go into Goldsboro itself, so I don't know how they're making out with flooding there from the Neuse River.

Back
Top Bottom