Stabilizer jacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EriikK

We have a 25' tow-behind toyhauler.  It came with four scissor-type stabilizer jacks.  I've not been happy with how much it rocks side to side.  Even if the jacks are down quite firmly, any vigorous activity sets it rocking, it's very annoying. 

Now I have to replace one of the jacks anyway because I scraped it getting into an uneven camping spot. Yeah, totally my mistake.  I'm wondering if this style of jack would be much stiffer side-to-side. 
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-telescopic-stabilizing-jack-24-leg/5724
Looking at it from an engineering perspective, it looks like it should be a lot better.  What is folks practical experience with these?

Thanks!

I installed one of these systems and am very very very happy with it. Virtually no more movement of my 5vr.

http://www.steadyfast.com/?gclid=CNzqlLSpx88CFYckhgodmZQM2Q

Any mechanical engineer will tell you a triangle is the most stable structure.  Normal jacks make a rectangle, that can move.  The one you noted does have SMALL triangles in its structure, and will help some.  The one Rene suggested has LARGE triangles and will do a much better job.

I installed the steadyfast system - the same one as Rene - on our 5th wheel. I could not believe how much more the 5th wheel shook compared to our TT. The steadyfast system is awesome! Night and day with 99% of the wiggle removed. Installation took a couple of hours but was not difficult...just time consuming.

Great advice, thanks!  In fact I am a mechanical engineer, and I was looking at those triangles.  Any thoughtful engineer or experienced tinkerer will also tell you "the devil is in the details".  How stiff are the components, are the fasteners arranged logically, etc.  That's why I asked for people's practical experience -- experience usually beats theory.

I had seen systems similar to the Steadyfast but not as nicely done.  They looked like a hassle to use, and flimsy to boot.  The Steadyfast looks well thought out.

So having heard your advice I will skip the halfway-better solution and get the Steadyfast.  Thanks again!

EriikK said:
Great advice, thanks!  In fact I am a mechanical engineer, and I was looking at those triangles.  Any thoughtful engineer or experienced tinkerer will also tell you "the devil is in the details".  How stiff are the components, are the fasteners arranged logically, etc.  That's why I asked for people's practical experience -- experience usually beats theory.

I had seen systems similar to the Steadyfast but not as nicely done.  They looked like a hassle to use, and flimsy to boot.  The Steadyfast looks well thought out.

So having heard your advice I will skip the halfway-better solution and get the Steadyfast.  Thanks again!

When you get the Steady Fast, PM me and I'll tell you about a couple of modifications I did when I installed mine. I contacted the inventor and he was thinking about incorporating one of my modifications.

I just ordered the SteadyFast kit for the coming season.
Rene --  What are your installation suggestions? 
Thanks in advance...

My wife says when we went on our first trip with our 2016 Jayco triple slide, "it seems to shake"  I assumed it was due to the size, 33ft and the three slides. Our last TT shook as well, it was a 30 foot single slide.

I'm interested, but curious if others with a TT have the same "shake" issue. ? And have purchased this and see a difference.

I'll watch for responses.

My bride has knee and back issues, so she's really sensitive to that shake. Added the Steadyfast to my Laredo 294RK last year. Much improved; reduced shake and vibration but still but not 98% gone. Added the "screw-jack under each axle" solution this year first trip out. More improvement. Felt really solid to me; after three days she had me doing the fine tune (reset, re-tighten) that happens when you sit a while letting the beach breezes adjust your mind. Good till we left 4 days later.

I've read about two other options; (1) use a set of automobile jack-stands under the frame at the rear (there is a specific technique for doing that) and (2) the X-Chocks (or other brand) that wedges between tires to keep them from moving. Talked to folks who have them, they swear by them.

I've also known folks with an ugly dog that they claim is "cute". So good luck finding the right combination.

We've taken a few trips now since I installed the Steady-Fast stabilizers.  The swaying and shaking is vastly reduced, almost gone.  I am very happy with this setup. 

Also as an engineer and mechanic I am impressed with the quality and design of the Steady-Fast.  Well made, clever, well thought out, well painted, good instructions -- nice stuff.  Drilling the holes in the frame of the trailer while lying on my back was a bit of a daunting prospect, but it actually went faster than I expected.  Once I got into it, the whole install took one morning.  Since my frame beams are exposed I chose to buy nyloc nuts and washers at the hardware store, instead of drilling and self-tapping the holes.  I'm sure the drill and tap method works fine, but if you have access this is faster and easier.

If the swaying of your rig bothers you, I highly recommend this solution!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom