How To Settle Noisy Neighbors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

Very small park with the campground in a tight circle  and lots of mature trees. Here comes a mega 5th wheel barreling in at 9pm and his spot is anorexic and surrounded by trees.

Between all the lights and noise of his arrival, the rest of the campers showed up to help get him settled into his site in one smooth action of lots of flashlights shining on trees and along his site. By golly he was able to back that baby in.

Sounds chaotic, but he was shoehorned in that site in under 6 minutes. Amazing what good Samaritans can accomplish.

Just think how quickly he would have been settled if he hadn't had a bunch of drunks shining flashlights in his eyes.

And yes, you've got it correct, I don't want or need your "help" either.

Well, 424,
betcha I wouldnt help YOU!!! LOL.You have a good day....

I never understand why folks arrive long after dark with mega rigs and spend the next 2 hours making a huge commotion while they get parked and settled into their site.

On the other hand... if one can't get along nicely with others... then camping in RV parks and campgrounds may not be a good fit.

Who knows why they arrived late, could have been a multitude of reasons.
Maybe the campground is just within a  days travel.
Maybe they had trouble getting to their destination.
Who knows - maybe he ran over Santa.
Who knows????

Also I would rather have the option of politely declining help, as to not having the help when needed.

Corky

Being polite and civil go hand in hand with RVing and camping in parks.

If one finds it hard to be polite and civil, then I am of the opinion that RVing and or camping is not for them.

On a funny note... I arrived in a campsite then realized if I repositioned the rig to within 3 inches of a tree in back, I would have lots of patio room for the dog and I to enjoy.

While making this maneuver, an interested camper came running over and BANGED on the back of my RV which gave me an awful fright. I slammed on brakes and flew out of my drivers seat.

I was sure I wasn't anywhere near the tree yet. Apparently he wanted to startle me because he thought I was going to hit the tree, but I still had 3-4 feet to go and I was barely creeping along.

I wasn't sure whether to thank him for stopping my heart or not.

I appreciate my fellow camper?s help, especially the one that stopped me from backing me into a shelter.  I know the guy that I chased down that was leaving with his antenna up appreciated my efforts. 

Quillback 424 said:

The appropriate response would be "Thank you, I appreciate the offer."

You don't have to let others help you but you should at the very minimum be polite to the nice people that try to help you.

We don't need anyone else's help to back into a campsite. Generally DH does the backing and I do the directions using a hand held radio (no shouting). If it was dark, having someone shine flashlights at obstructions doesn't sound like a bad thing to do as long as the helpers don't try to provide directions. When I have someone volunteering to provide directions, we politely decline. I have no idea if the guy (it is always a guy) is at all capable, and we have been doing this for 30 years, thank you very much. Two or three times a year we generally run into someone who just won't stop trying to provide directions. Those are the ones who drive me nuts! You offer politely, I decline politely, that should be the end of it! The second or third time I tell you no and you keep at it, I will then get very direct. Never had that fail <grin>.

Quillback 424 said:
Just think how quickly he would have been settled if he hadn't had a bunch of drunks shining flashlights in his eyes.

DearMissMermaid said:
Sounds chaotic, but he was shoehorned in that site in under 6 minutes. Amazing what good Samaritans can accomplish.
6 minutes! That is great for 9pm, I'll take that kinda help any day. Who said they were drunk?

The DW and I have been doing it for so long with so many different kinds of RV's, I trust her to watch and knows exactly where I want to go.  If someone tries to jump in and help, I just ignore them and watch for her direction. On the off occasion that I see something that I think she doesn't, I wave her up, and tell her my concern. 

Usually it is a well intentioned camp host, but I would rather put my tru$t in her as we are the one$ with a financial intre$t in the rig.........

My other half does most of the driving and she's usually, but not always, the one reversing into a site (unless we have a pull-through site). Over the years, we've agreed on a set of signals given by whichever of us is not driving, and the driver only follows those signals. The last time she reversed into a site, several other campers approached me afterwards saying "your wife did a great job of parking the coach".

Some years ago, I was driving when we arrived at an FMCA rally, and the insistent parking attendant, or whatever they call them, had me drive into a tree. We still have the chips and scratches in our paint.

Now, if anyone attempts to be insistent on giving the driver directions, they're politely, but firmly told that the driver won't respond/react to their signals. On the rare occasions a campground owner/manager insists on providing directions, they're asked to tell our spotter what they want the driver to do.

Tom said:
If anyone attempts to be insistent on giving the driver directions, they're politely, but firmly told that the driver won't respond/react to their signals. On the rare occasions a campground owner/manager insists on providing directions, they're asked to tell our spotter what they want the driver to do.

VERY Good Idea.

Thanks for sharing that.

On a funny note...

I don't have a backup camera, or didn't at this time, what I have now is a cheap portable trailer backup camera, that sort of works wonderfully well because I can move it around. Anyhow, story below, no camera.

On the rare occasions when I have a traveling friend with me and I need to reverse into a spot, I get him to sit on the bed in back which is surrounded by 3 windows. He can then calmly give me directions from that perch with no shouting. The view is so great that we can get within inches of other objects if need be.

One day I was backing into a super tight parking spot at a busy shop for some fresh off the boat shrimp. My friend sat on the bed calmly getting me within inches of other cars and a tree in back.

Once parked, I grabbed the small cooler to go get shrimp and he said "I'll just stay here with the dog."

The lady in the shrimp shack had apparently NOT seen my rear view helper. She was gushing all over about what a terrific driver I was.

I just basked in the limelight. I didn't tell her I had help.

Is that bad or what?

I told my friend afterwards, he thought my reaction was hilarious.

A similar experience ?

At a very well attended Parade, I found a parking space. A parallel parking space between two cars. Very tight.

I pulled up, in my F-350, CC Dually, backed in Slowly, cut it, pulled forward.. and Nailed it ! In One Shot !

When I got out.. the WHOLE Crowd stood up,  Cheered & Clapped..  Fists held high.

I turned to the crowd..  did a sweeping bow.. and walked off.

A Life Memory ?  :)

I had a similar experience arriving the night before a motorcycle enduro.  The only site left was between two trees that left me about 3 inches of space on each side.  I had the back of the truck full of bikes & quads, I.e. No view out the back window. 

Nailed it in one shot and got cheers.

Only finished second in the enduro though.

I once stopped at a McDonald's for a snack while travelling along I-5.  27 ft. Arctic Fox trailer pulled by an F250 pickup.

The only available parking was a parallel spot along the curb between two other RVs.  I eyeballed it while I pulled up along side. The space was about 10 ft. longer than the truck and trailer.

I had gotten my CDL a while back and part of the driving test was parallel parking a truck and semi trailer.  Basically you just parallel park the trailer into the space and the truck naturally follows.  I did the same with the Arctic Fox trailer, a slight pull up to straighten out the truck and I was parked.

When I got out of the truck I noticed a group of young folks from a waiting tour bus standing across the way with cellphone cameras out.  They were suitably impressed, I guess.  Though I've never found the video online.  :)

LOL Lou. A number of years ago, our regular CA State Park was fully booked for the July 4 holiday, and we drove a few miles to a nearby private park/marina. I'd never launched here, but the launch ramp was at an obtuse angle from my drive-in. I launched the boat with the coach on the narrow launch ramp with no issue, but didn't realize I had an "audience" of RVers from the campground who were clapping/applauding my launch.

Back
Top Bottom