Camping in the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
It's been some years since we rented a trailer (aka caravan) in the UK for a great weekend with the kids.

I get the impression that UK "campsites" have changed significantly over the last 10-15 years.

I'd appreciate any and all inputs regarding "RV'ing in the UK".

I don't know of any company that hires self drive American RV's only on a supply basis for sporting events costing several thousand UK pounds for a weekend.
There are companies that hire standard motorhomes but they are quite small in comparison.
Something like this  :)

Attachments

• motorhome.jpg
    motorhome.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 13
We haven't lived there for 36 years, but IIRC fog lights are a requirement for all automobiles in the UK.

We live in the UK and tow a 33' trailer (caravan). UK campsites are now pretty civilised, mostly with plentiful and hygienic sanitation, services to each pitch, bar & restaurant, facilities for kids etc.  But there are also still plenty of "certified locations" with fairly minimal services, just a scenic place to park.

Certainly it's far better than when we first started camping, some 30 years ago when you were lucky to get a water supply!

Thanks John (Melbourne). Things have changed (for the better) ...

My parents used to belong to the South Wales Caravan Club in the 70's, and they used to hold rallies in a farmer's field in different locations. The farmer would dig a large hole in the corner of the field with his tractor, and the rally attendees would dump the contents of their "chemical toilets" there before leaving after the weekend.

When we last camped in the UK with a caravan, we were in a field with lots of other campers. We hauled water in containers from a single standpipe in the field.

A trip down memory lane Tom.  Like your folks, my wife and I traveled Britain and Europe for 6 months in 1976 in a 22 ft. Commer purchased in London's Embassy Row.  It was a ball and met many like minded young folks along our route.  Back then it was more of an education for us.  Ironically, today at 65 we are considering a revisit of those days, but much slower  :).  I sure have enjoyed reading the RV Forum for many years now with hopes to become a road warrior once again.   

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom