Struggling with guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've recently returned to (trying to) play guitar, but I must admit to having to start from scratch; I've returned to watching basic guitar videos (I have a complete course on CD). Simple chord progressions are not so simple.

Meanwhile, I continue to practice for our Oct 21 uke concert, which has to take priority at this time

I am also trying to learn to play a lap steel guitar, as you say " not so easy " Have  a cd program which is good but my fingers are not so good  :=)
Keep up the effort and I will too.
Good luck

SeilerBird said:
Don't feel bad Tom, the guitar is a difficult instrument to learn.

I have, for many many years, considered trying to learn. Always thought it would be fun to play. What kind/size guitar should I consider? Best way to start? Lessons? CD? Internet?

you got to keep at it.  Don't let the muscle memory lapse.

A month or so back I was testing strings for Gore, Inc.  They suggested that playing an hour a day was just adequate.  So I did at least that and sometimes much more.  I noticed that my overall playing and 'fluidity' improved a bunch.

And now, because we're dealing with a new puppy I'm not able to play much at all.  I've reverted to sounding like crap.

So, play some every day.  Nothing builds muscle memory like daily repetition.

Thanks Russ. I play guitar a little every day, but muscle memory is taking a long time to kick in again.

I am having a problem learning the uke because of my muscle memory. I learned how to play Stairway to Heaven on a guitar in 1972 and since then I have played it hundreds of times. It is simple to play and I could play it in my sleep. I decided to learn it on the uke and my muscle memory is messing me up. The first three bars are virtually identical since on the guitar it is played by barring at the fifth fret. On a uke that means playing it in the first position without the barre. Simple. But then it goes to a D chord and I automatically play a D chord which is really a G chord on the uke. It is going to take some time to rewire my brain.

Strange, but I have less trouble switching to my baritone uke, which is tuned like the 4 (musically) highest strings on a guitar. I can switch between the baritone and any of my other ukes (re-entrant tuning) and vice versa with little difficulty. But switching to the guitar is a lot tougher (for me).

It's going to be interesting when, after our upcoming uke concert, I pick up my plectrum banjo and try to play  ???

Aye, 50 years of muscle memory must be tough to change. I just have 50 years of playing nothing to change  ;D

8Muddypaws said:
Now throw in a few alternate tunings on the guitar and really get ruined.  ;)
I have never had the nerve to try alternate tunings. Even playing slide I leave it tuned normally. But then again my electrics always have a Floyd Rose bridge and retuning is a bitch.

8Muddypaws said:
Thats an indication that you need more guitars.  Or a guitar synth. ;)
I have too many instruments around the house. Of course I would love to have more but I don't have the room since I live in a 32 foot class A. Three ukes, three guitars, one set of drums and one keyboard. It is dangerous for me to enter into Guitar World. :eek:

I have been watching the baseball playoffs and practicing the uke at the same time all week long. I have finally got to the point where I can play the opening bars without getting messed up. Now all I have to do is learn the other seven minutes. :-\

I have discovered what is without a doubt the strangest duet in the history of duets. Warren Buffet (not Jimmy) on a Kala doing the Glory of Love with Jon Bon Jovi.

https://youtu.be/nCm5-2UN2Ms

I have several conservatory degrees and play music professionally (see user name), and after a brief attempt at guitar, I have decided that 6 strings is too many strings. Kudos to all you guitar players out there. I recently got a new job that includes teaching ukulele to middle school kids. I picked up a tenor and I'm hooked. It will most definitely come with me if we ever get ourselves out and camping.

Hopefully, Warren Buffet can/will afford to hire a uke and singing tutor.

Back
Top Bottom