Struggling with guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I've seen weirder.  Waylon Jennings and Big Bird singing 'Wrong'.  A song written by my friend Steve.

I've heard plenty of worse singers than Warren too.

Tom said:
violajack, where are you located?

SF Bay Area.

I have been bit hard by the Ukulele bug though. I just got my second tenor from Amazon today.

On the camping front, I was hoping to set up my new (to us) Volvo XC90 with a hitch and get us out in a little pop-up or hybrid, but some unexpected extra repairs to the Volvo and some home repairs crept up and ate up that budget for now. I'm looking at tents and local campgrounds, and we're considering a small bike trailer for DH's motorcycle, but we're in the rainy season now, so I've been looking at cabins too. ;)

[quote author=violajack]SF Bay Area.

I have been bit hard by the Ukulele bug though.[/quote]

The reason I ask is that there are a number of ukulele clubs in the greater Bay area. We (the Delta Strummers) are based in Brentwood.

Violajack,

Where in the Bay Area?  A friend of mine teach Uke in Pleasanton, there's another class in Los Gatos.  I'm sure there are ones all over.

Tom said:
The reason I ask is that there are a number of ukulele clubs in the greater Bay area. We (the Delta Strummers) are based in Brentwood.

*clicks link* Well, I'll just be over here reading ALL THE THINGS.

The school is Hilldale in Daly City. I'd love to have a group come and play for the kids some time, or find a way for us to participate, or just be more involved in the larger community. I'm working my way through Ukuguides.com and combing through ukutabs to find stuff for the kids to play. I have a college who is a few years into doing ukulele with his middle school choirs who has shared some resources with me and I have the Ukulele in the Classroom book 1 (both teacher and student edition). Right now, we're just working on the change from C to F, but the kids are really enjoying getting to play and sing. They can sing Frere Jaques in rounds while strumming C already. Ukulele is just so darn approachable and even at only three classes in, I love it as a classroom instrument.

violajack said:
*clicks link* Well, I'll just be over here reading ALL THE THINGS.

The school is Hilldale in Daly City. I'd love to have a group come and play for the kids some time, or find a way for us to participate, or just be more involved in the larger community. I'm working my way through Ukuguides.com and combing through ukutabs to find stuff for the kids to play. I have a college who is a few years into doing ukulele with his middle school choirs who has shared some resources with me and I have the Ukulele in the Classroom book 1 (both teacher and student edition). Right now, we're just working on the change from C to F, but the kids are really enjoying getting to play and sing. They can sing Frere Jaques in rounds while strumming C already. Ukulele is just so darn approachable and even at only three classes in, I love it as a classroom instrument.
I just finished reading a book that would be a perfect textbook for grade school kids learning the uke. It starts slow and progresses at a very slow speed. A beginner would not be able to miss with this book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1844037908/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are several trailers to The mighty Uke, a DVD/movie that would encourage/inspire any ukulele teacher.

Thanks! You guys are awesome. Sadly, I only get the kids for music once a week, 45 minutes. We've got 7 more classes before we have to pull off the winter program, so right now, we'll have to just go with whatever we can play on two, maybe three chords. I was hoping to have the ukes accompany the recorder groups, but I either have to teach F natural to the 3rd grade recorder group (nope) or teach the D chord to the middle school uke group (also nope), so I'll probably have them provide accompaniment for the younger grade songs instead. I really want to get the various classes playing together.

I then have a whopping 18 classes for the second half of the year. I'm not sure how much we'll be able to do in those 18 lessons as I'm also responsible for theory and history lessons as well as the practical playing of the ukulele. I want to do some scales and melody line playing in the second half of the year too, in addition to building their repertoire of chords and understanding of chord progressions.

There really is a lifetime of musical growth and enjoyment to be had. I hope I can set a good foundation for them.

What's the issue with teaching the D chord? In its simplest form:

http://www.ukulele-chords.com/D

I use 2 fingers for the 3 adjacent strings. Smaller fingers might use 3.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you're aware of the multitude of 2- and 3-chord songs. Google will show long lists of them with lyrics and chords.

I just finished reading a book ...

I'm not a lover of learning from books, prefering hands-on and relying on my ears. But I ordered the book based on the positive reviews; Thanks for the link.

I don't do well learning from books but this one is exceptional. Even though I knew most of the material I still completely enjoyed reading it. He really does have a great method for learning the uke. He starts with songs with only one chord and then progresses to songs with two chords. Then three chords. And he explains everything very clearly.

BTW I play a D chord several different ways depending on the context. My favorite way is to use my index finger as a bar and just not playing the A string or putting my pinkie on the fifth fret of the A string.

BTW I play a D chord several different ways depending on the context. My favorite way is to use my index finger as a bar and just not playing the A string or putting my pinkie on the fifth fret of the A string.

Yes, but many of us can't do that (i.e. we/I have a weak barre).

I ordered the book based on the positive reviews;

Ordered with 2-day prime, but it arrived in 1 day. Started reading, interesting story so far. Couldn't resist peeking ahead to see what was coming in other chapters ... can't wait.

I've been puttering with the guitar for the last couple of years, and have gotten fairly comfortable with the simplest chords.  Just when I was getting cocky I tried to learn how to play an F chord.....are you kidding?  My fingers don't bend that way!!

LOL on a ukulele that's a Bb chord. It's a real challenge for some of us. On the uke I play a cheater chord, but haven't tried it on guitar.

Helmerb said:
I've been puttering with the guitar for the last couple of years, and have gotten fairly comfortable with the simplest chords.  Just when I was getting cocky I tried to learn how to play an F chord.....are you kidding?  My fingers don't bend that way!!
Actually it might be your left arm that doesn't bend that way. Most beginners hold the neck too close to their body making an F chord almost impossible. Your left arm should be holding the neck way away from your body at about a 45 degree angle. Kinda like how you would hold a machine gun if you were going to shoot some one at your 10 o'clock. I have posted a photo to give you an idea. If you are already holding the guitar that way and still having trouble then try this. Start by only playing the top four strings instead of all six strings. In other words the four strings closest to the floor. Forget about the two bass strings. It will still be an F chord just without the bass. Then when you can play that way comfortably you can add the two bass strings.

Attachments

• xhow-to-hold-a-guitar.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RQlLKfhfAT.jpg
    xhow-to-hold-a-guitar.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RQlLKfhfAT.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 9
Your left arm should be holding the neck way away from your body at about a 45 degree angle.

Comments such as this give me an "aha moment", although they don't always register the first time I read them &/or I forget until I'm reminded. Thanks.

I have no plans for a machine gun though.

Back
Top Bottom