I-95 Closures in NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Just copied this from NC DOT Website. Looks like it's from Exit 100 in Selma and south:

I-95 is closed in both directions at the following locations due to flooding. The road will remain closed until further notice. Motorists are advised to seek an alternate route and to follow the instructions of local law enforcement.

Exits 17 to 22 near Lumberton in Robeson County
Exits 79 to 87 near Benson in Johnston County
Exit 100 near Selma in Johnston County
Exits 40 to 55 near Fayetteville in Cumberland County

It looks like I-95 is closed from MM 77 to the SC line. We're planning on heading south to FL from NH on this Thursday. Can any member from the eastern NC area keep me abreast of what the road conditions are on I-95? We will be going down I-95 and just south of Richmond we'll be picking up I-85 south . Have to make a side trip to Progressive Industries near Raleigh/Durham NC. I have a problem with my surge protector.  We'll then be going Down I-40 to connect back with I-95 for the rest of the trip. Any updates will be truly appreciated. If we have to, we could stay longer in NH until the road conditions improve. Thanks to everyone. 

Rene, It's a bit longer, but get back on 85S when leaving Raleigh, take that to 495 around Charlotte to 77S. Take 77S to Columbia, then on to 26E towards Charleston to pick 95S back up. You won't have to worry about whether 95 is back open, or what kind of condition it is in when they do open it. I do hate Charlotte during rush hour though.

kdbgoat said:
Rene, It's a bit longer, but get back on 85S when leaving Raleigh, take that to 495 around Charlotte to 77S. Take 77S to Columbia, then on to 26E towards Charleston to pick 95S back up. You won't have to worry about whether 95 is back open, or what kind of condition it is in when they do open it. I do hate Charlotte during rush hour though.
Thanks kdbgoat.
I've taken 77/26 before when I use to go that far down 81. Now I take 64 over to Richmond which I think is a better ride with less mountains.
Taking the route you described is a possibility but it may add on at least another 200 miles. Is that right.
I will keep it in mind though.

You could also take US 1 south from Raleigh.  It more or less parallels I95.  You could take I20 back toward I95 once you get into SC.  The NC DOT site doesn't show any issues other than construction zones for US 1.  Part of that stretch is two lane road, but it's all pretty good highway.  And much more scenic than I95.

We had a death in our family today so won't be leaving till Sunday.  We no longer have a co-pilot. Gone to doggie heaven. It's been a tough afternoon. 
Still interested in any updates on closures. Thanks again.

Sorry, Rene.  It's so heart breaking when those good doggies pass.  Been there, done that, still remember our Dusty lab.

Sorry to hear about Zeke. It's rough losing a long time companion.

Zev sends his condolences  :(  Rene, that's a real bummer he was a great little companion.

Ed

Sorry Rene, we went thru that about 6 weeks ago with our 7 1/2 year old Dobermann rescue. The only relief from this is to get another, so we picked up another Dobie rescue from down in your part of the country.

Rene T said:
We had a death in our family today so won't be leaving till Sunday.  We no longer have a co-pilot. Gone to doggie heaven. It's been a tough afternoon. 
Still interested in any updates on closures. Thanks again.
So sorry Rene I know what your going through! We lost our Pointer Abbie 2 weeks after we landed in Florida last year.

Rob VanVoorhis said:
So sorry Rene I know what your going through! We lost our Pointer Abbie 2 weeks after we landed in Florida last year.
Thanks Rob. We'll get through this. It will just take time.

Rene & Lucille - I am so bummed to hear about Zeke passing on to doggie heaven. Nothing I can say will ease your pain but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you.

SeilerBird said:
Rene & Lucille - I am so bummed to hear about Zeke passing on to doggie heaven. Nothing I can say will ease your pain but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you.

Thanks Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom