Towing U-Haul trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

I need to pull a U Haul trailer on the interstate for over 300 miles.  Since I have never done this, I wonder what should I be concerned??  Would bigger be better? My 1 ton should have no problem pulling it, but I don't know what I should know.

U haul will not only answer it, I've had them refuse to rent me a trailer because my tow vehicle was not big tnough.  The told me to get a 3/4 Ton Truck to tow the trailer I wanted....

At the time I was Driving a 3/4 ton truck  (I kid you not)  I returned with a heavier car (The truck, empty, was not all that heavy) and Towed the trailer.. but if you can't tow it, they won't rent it.  Or at least they are not supposed to.

Not sure what you are asking. Bigger truck or bigger trailer?  Rent a trailer that is comfortable adequate for your space & weight needs. No need to go overboard, but don't skimp either.  As John says, U-Haul will refuse if your tow vehicle appears to be overloaded. You can verify that with their online reservation system, which will ask about tow vehicle for a trailer rental and check the numbers before accepting the rez.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Not sure what you are asking. Bigger truck or bigger trailer?  Rent a trailer that is comfortable adequate for your space & weight needs. No need to go overboard, but don't skimp either.  As John says, U-Haul will refuse if your tow vehicle appears to be overloaded. You can verify that with their online reservation system, which will ask about tow vehicle for a trailer rental and check the numbers before accepting the rez.

About three months ago UHaul told me that my 1 ton 2015 Ford Diesel was not on their approved towing list and if I wanted to tow with it I would have to visit the UHaul dealer and see if he would approve it.  Brought to the UHaul dealer and  a young kid looked out the window and said it would be fine.  I ask which trucks are approved and the lady on the phone told me that all Ford 1/2 tons were on the list. 

I tried to rent a U-Haul car trailer to pull behind our 2500 diesel, I was refused because of the 3500 lb hitch. She didn't understand the difference between gross and tongue weight and no amount of talking would change her mind. ::)

25 Years ago, I rented a mid size closed trailer and towed it with my Ford Ranger (smaller version).  Felt like I was towing a parachute all the way home, but it got the job done.

I checked on Uhaul web page and I am fine. I was wondering what I should know before going ahead based on your experiences. Thanks for your replies.

I have rented uhall trailer sever times over the years.  And tower  with sever van from mini van to full size convention van...... Never been given a hard time about my tow vehical..... I have found that the uhall trailers tow nice. Very stable.    Just remember when you load it that it will.need more weight up front then the back.    If its tale hevey it will cause it to sway.

Check the tire pressure. The one I rented to move from So. California to Kansas was a dual axle, and three of the tires were low. It swayed really bad until I got the tires aired up.

Well, I did the 300 miles with a 5' x 8' Uhaul.  People were very nice where I picked up and where I dropped.  It jumped a lot when empty but once I put some weight it was just fine. I was surprised that I used one of those truck bed adjustable bars to hold things past a certain point, but the stuff inside the trailer bent it. Otherwise, it was uneventful. Thanks for your replies.

I am not sure what you are asking.  Mine is a 1 ton and had no problems with the company.  I don't know they mind.  The guy just made the comment that my truck would have no problems pulling it.  He was correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom