EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: I'm in BIG trouble!  (Read 4923 times)

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
I'm in BIG trouble!
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:04:44 PM »
Just checked messages on the land line and found 3 separate messages with 3 separate call back numbers from the IRS. Apparently there is a nationwide dragnet for my arrest. Oh crap! I knew I shouldn't have deducted that 6 pack of uniball pens on my tax return! What should I do? Move to Canada? I don't want to share a cell with Cooter, who thinks I'm real purty!! ::)
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: I'm in BIG trouble!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »
Just checked messages on the land line and found 3 separate messages with 3 separate call back numbers from the IRS. Apparently there is a nationwide dragnet for my arrest. Oh crap! I knew I shouldn't have deducted that 6 pack of uniball pens on my tax return! What should I do? Move to Canada? I don't want to share a cell with Cooter, who thinks I'm real purty!! ::)

Pack a backpack and head for the woods.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

utahclaimjumper

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:11:12 PM »
   You might find Cooter to be a REAL FINE companion..>>>Dan ::)
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:11:26 PM »
Don't worry Bob, we will write to you in the joint......
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 09:36:25 PM »
That's very comforting! Where's Buford's Midnight Tax Service when you need em!
Seriously, it's kinda sad that this stuff is so prevalent. There must be a real market for this scam since it's so common.

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »
Being retired is awesome!  I give 'em the runaround and waste their time.  It works with the Windows scammers too.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 10:07:50 PM »
Being retired is awesome!  I give 'em the runaround and waste their time.  It works with the Windows scammers too.

LOL. I had the windows guy on the phone for 45 minutes. (Where they call and say they've detected viris your computer) Really? Such fantastic technology. He finally got frustrated with my so called ineptness and hung up.

--Gary RV Roamer--

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 06:52:34 AM »
A friend of mine amazed me recently. She was big corporate honcho but retired and left her brains at work I guess.

Her computer screen had a popup one day to call this certain number because she had a dangerous virus. She calls these folks, gives them her credit card and they give her confusing rapid fire  info on what she must do but then decide if she gives them permission to access her computer, they can fix it all in a few short minutes.

Of course they planted a pile of dog poop all over her computer and charged up her credit card for their "repairs" and signed her up for monthly billing too.

Then of course her computer slowed to a crawl, was heavily infested with loads of crap and much of it kept referring her to phone numbers and fees to fix the latest issues.

Finally she had to pay a real repairman who came to her house and hours later had her computer running up to speed again. He cleaned out thousands of malicious files.

She still says she thought those notices on her screen were doing her a favor.
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 07:48:47 AM »
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »
I tell them to just take the money from my Nigerian bank acct with all those millions in it.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 06:02:08 PM »
It is getting pretty stupid out there.  I do computer security at my work, and it feels good to know that some of the stuff we do is getting out.  One girl called us because she had a full screen pop-up that warned her of all manner of evil stuff.  She just left it like it was (did not click on anything) and waited until I got there.  It was one of those that would have taken over her computer and who knows what else, but because she remembered our training and awareness efforts, she didn't touch anything and called the experts.  I killed everything on her computer and scanned it, and all was well with the world again.  At least this small part of it.

One for the good guys!
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 06:43:32 PM »
LOL. I had the windows guy on the phone for 45 minutes. (Where they call and say they've detected viris your computer) Really? Such fantastic technology. He finally got frustrated with my so called ineptness and hung up.

I had one tell me my computer had a virus and asked him which one. He insisted I get online immediately and I told him he must know which one I should use.  He then called me a motherf------ and hung up.
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »
I have gotten a couple of those "We have detected illegal activity and your computer is locked" pop ups too

I do touch something, the POWER button, I do a forced shut down.. When I power back up it the malware gets well and truly bytten. (no that's a clue not a mispell) and then a 2nd and even a 3rd pass with other software.. So far.. There is no evidence of anything left behind after scanning.. I also do daily scans with at least one product.

I'd love to get my hands on the scammers who do this crap. or at least one part of them.. The part you squeeze and I can saqueeze very very hard.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 12:03:53 PM »
You just can't believe what you see on the phone/comp history anymore. The hackers have learned how to redirect calls to make them look like they are local, when they are coming from India!

Privacy is quickly becoming a commodity. The "Do Not Call" list is a joke now. I get off-the-wall calls all the time. I ignore them. They do go away when they go unanswered.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

German Shepherd

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 04:37:49 PM »
LMAO--I like you dude,, thats what i do to them ,,, i'll tell them to hold on for a second and i'll make a sandwich,,and then platy along some more,, tell them to hold again and go to the bathroom,, and on and on ! Nothing like screwing with someone whos out to screw you huh !!!
Mark & Blitz, My German Shepherd                              1993 Pace Arrow 8.3CT Cummings Intercooled Turbo Diesel, 3060 6 Speed Allison, 40k miles.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 06:25:36 PM »
I've gotten several of the IRS scam calls and I'm expecting the Feds to come knocking on my door any day now.  Maybe if they cart us off to the slammer, we can request to be in the same joint....at least we can talk RV's or our next mods.  Do you think they'd give us a weekend pass to go camping?
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 06:45:17 PM »
I cannot remember ever getting a call like any of these. But then again I simply do not give out my phone number except when it is absolutely necessary.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »
All it takes is ONE time Tom....
I gave out the land line 4 years ago to enter that steak knives sweepstakes.
The rest is history........ ;D ;D ;D

--Gary RV Roamer--

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »
They randomly robo dial numbers. We have over 700 DIDs at work, so we'll sometimes get these calls in batches until I can log in and block them.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 07:00:35 PM »
All it takes is ONE time Tom....
I gave out the land line 4 years ago to enter that steak knives sweepstakes.
The rest is history........ ;D ;D ;D
I don't believe in any form of gambling so I would never enter a sweepstakes.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 07:30:57 PM »
I don't believe in any form of gambling so I would never enter a sweepstakes.

Ahhh... But this was not gambling. No payment was made to enter.
Just an address and phone number was given for the chance of a 4 night getaway somewhere... I don't remember.
A seemingly innocuous gesture on my part.. Just look where it got me... :( :(

--Gary RV Roamer--

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 07:47:51 PM »
Ahhh... But this was not gambling. No payment was made to enter.
Just an address and phone number was given for the chance of a 4 night getaway somewhere... I don't remember.
A seemingly innocuous gesture on my part.. Just look where it got me... :( :(
I still consider it gambling. You don't pay with money you pay with your personal information, which is just as valuable as money to the sharks collecting it. Facebook is filled with people trying every scam imaginable to get your email address and phone number so they can resell them. There are teenagers cashing big checks every month because they have figured out how to collect this information.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
My wife who unfortunately is somewhat naive (look who she married) panicked and called the number on the screen. The so called Microsoft rep charmed her socks off and loaded the computer with malware. On top of the fee for installing McAfee which we already had we spent another $90 getting the mess cleaned up. I talked to Microsoft and was told they never notify customers in this manner. She took the information and said they would be dealing with it. The person DW talked to actually called back to ask if we were happy with the changes to our computer, I told him the authorities were dealing with it and hung up.
We received an e-mail purportedly from a credit card company saying they had detected suspicious activity and the account was frozen. I didn't open the link, called Mastercard who confirmed it was a phishing scam. I am really tired of this nonsense.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

winona

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »
Funny.... tired of the nonsense?  I've learned my student loan may be forgiven which is a good thing because I didn't even know after all these years I even had one.  And better yet, they'll change the interest rate on one of my charge cards.  They don't know which one so I would have to let them know.  And just yesterday I was in the running for an all expense paid vacation to somewhere --- the automated caller didn't say --- if I'd only give them the charge card number.  I am soon lucky!  ;D  :o

If I get a live one, my goal is to have them lose by hanging up first. :D
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
I had a call yesterday indicating I have a virus on my PC.  The conversation went like this:
Caller: You have a virus on your PC and I can fixit.
Me: I do not fall for scams and did not appreciate the call.
Caller: This is not a scam, you do in fact have a virus on your PC.
Me: That is interesting because I do not own a PC
Caller: CLICK!
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

svrapture

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
If you want to make a huge dent in the phoney calls, give nomorobo dot com a try. It only works with some providers, but it is worth a try to see if it will work for you. It is free.. google it and read the reviews. We use it on our vonage phone and it helps a lot!

A quick work virus story (I worked in IT my entire life - retired now). When viruses first started appearing I got a call from lady in accounting. I went to her desk and she told me she thought her computer had a virus. I asked why she thought that. She replied that she has had a cold for several days and had been carrying some diskettes around in her purse. I started laughing.. then she started crying. I felt terrible and couldn't apologize enough. True story!

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
I'll second the Nomorobo referral! It works very well on our VOIP phone service. We also have the "Call Control" app from Kedlin Co. on our Android phones, and that works well also. It's rare that a scam, telemarketing, or even political call, gets past either one of them. And when they do, adding the number to the block list is simple.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:14:31 PM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
The gotcha is that most of the IRS and other scammers use number spoofing.  A different calling number appears every time they call. 

The virus scammers get 'the treatment'.  They usually end up swearing, which is funny because they have no idea how to swear in English.  Sometimes I ask them if they're Hindu and if they are I ask what working at this criminal enterprise is doing to their karma.

Don't mess with retired IT guys.   ;D
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 05:54:30 AM »
I once had a caller like that. I asked him to hold on while I got my husband. I laid the phone down next to where my dog was thoroughly licking himself. After several minutes, the guy hung up. I thought they were never supposed to hang up. :O
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »
Never heard of nomorobo.
Just signed up. Very easy.
We'll see how the blocking goes.
Thanks for the suggestion.

--Gary RV Roamer--

Hosted by Over The Network