I'm in BIG trouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinaryBob

Moderator Emeritus
Just checked messages on the land line and found 3 separate messages with 3 separate call back numbers from the IRS. Apparently there is a nationwide dragnet for my arrest. Oh crap! I knew I shouldn't have deducted that 6 pack of uniball pens on my tax return! What should I do? Move to Canada? I don't want to share a cell with Cooter, who thinks I'm real purty!! ::)

BinaryBob said:
Just checked messages on the land line and found 3 separate messages with 3 separate call back numbers from the IRS. Apparently there is a nationwide dragnet for my arrest. Oh crap! I knew I shouldn't have deducted that 6 pack of uniball pens on my tax return! What should I do? Move to Canada? I don't want to share a cell with Cooter, who thinks I'm real purty!! ::)

Pack a backpack and head for the woods.

That's very comforting! Where's Buford's Midnight Tax Service when you need em!
Seriously, it's kinda sad that this stuff is so prevalent. There must be a real market for this scam since it's so common.

Being retired is awesome!  I give 'em the runaround and waste their time.  It works with the Windows scammers too.

8Muddypaws said:
Being retired is awesome!  I give 'em the runaround and waste their time.  It works with the Windows scammers too.

LOL. I had the windows guy on the phone for 45 minutes. (Where they call and say they've detected viris your computer) Really? Such fantastic technology. He finally got frustrated with my so called ineptness and hung up.

A friend of mine amazed me recently. She was big corporate honcho but retired and left her brains at work I guess.

Her computer screen had a popup one day to call this certain number because she had a dangerous virus. She calls these folks, gives them her credit card and they give her confusing rapid fire  info on what she must do but then decide if she gives them permission to access her computer, they can fix it all in a few short minutes.

Of course they planted a pile of dog poop all over her computer and charged up her credit card for their "repairs" and signed her up for monthly billing too.

Then of course her computer slowed to a crawl, was heavily infested with loads of crap and much of it kept referring her to phone numbers and fees to fix the latest issues.

Finally she had to pay a real repairman who came to her house and hours later had her computer running up to speed again. He cleaned out thousands of malicious files.

She still says she thought those notices on her screen were doing her a favor.

Indian police have made some progress on this problem:

http://fox59.com/2016/10/06/70-arrested-hundreds-more-questioned-at-indian-call-center-linked-to-irs-scam-calls/

It is getting pretty stupid out there.  I do computer security at my work, and it feels good to know that some of the stuff we do is getting out.  One girl called us because she had a full screen pop-up that warned her of all manner of evil stuff.  She just left it like it was (did not click on anything) and waited until I got there.  It was one of those that would have taken over her computer and who knows what else, but because she remembered our training and awareness efforts, she didn't touch anything and called the experts.  I killed everything on her computer and scanned it, and all was well with the world again.  At least this small part of it.

One for the good guys!

BinaryBob said:
LOL. I had the windows guy on the phone for 45 minutes. (Where they call and say they've detected viris your computer) Really? Such fantastic technology. He finally got frustrated with my so called ineptness and hung up.

I had one tell me my computer had a virus and asked him which one. He insisted I get online immediately and I told him he must know which one I should use.  He then called me a motherf------ and hung up.

I have gotten a couple of those "We have detected illegal activity and your computer is locked" pop ups too

I do touch something, the POWER button, I do a forced shut down.. When I power back up it the malware gets well and truly bytten. (no that's a clue not a mispell) and then a 2nd and even a 3rd pass with other software.. So far.. There is no evidence of anything left behind after scanning.. I also do daily scans with at least one product.

I'd love to get my hands on the scammers who do this crap. or at least one part of them.. The part you squeeze and I can saqueeze very very hard.

You just can't believe what you see on the phone/comp history anymore. The hackers have learned how to redirect calls to make them look like they are local, when they are coming from India!

Privacy is quickly becoming a commodity. The "Do Not Call" list is a joke now. I get off-the-wall calls all the time. I ignore them. They do go away when they go unanswered.

BinaryBob said:
LMAO--I like you dude,, thats what i do to them ,,, i'll tell them to hold on for a second and i'll make a sandwich,,and then platy along some more,, tell them to hold again and go to the bathroom,, and on and on ! Nothing like screwing with someone whos out to screw you huh !!!

I've gotten several of the IRS scam calls and I'm expecting the Feds to come knocking on my door any day now.  Maybe if they cart us off to the slammer, we can request to be in the same joint....at least we can talk RV's or our next mods.  Do you think they'd give us a weekend pass to go camping?

I cannot remember ever getting a call like any of these. But then again I simply do not give out my phone number except when it is absolutely necessary.

All it takes is ONE time Tom....
I gave out the land line 4 years ago to enter that steak knives sweepstakes.
The rest is history........ ;D ;D ;D

They randomly robo dial numbers. We have over 700 DIDs at work, so we'll sometimes get these calls in batches until I can log in and block them.

BinaryBob said:
All it takes is ONE time Tom....
I gave out the land line 4 years ago to enter that steak knives sweepstakes.
The rest is history........ ;D ;D ;D
I don't believe in any form of gambling so I would never enter a sweepstakes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom