I'm in BIG trouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
I don't believe in any form of gambling so I would never enter a sweepstakes.

Ahhh... But this was not gambling. No payment was made to enter.
Just an address and phone number was given for the chance of a 4 night getaway somewhere... I don't remember.
A seemingly innocuous gesture on my part.. Just look where it got me... :( :(

BinaryBob said:
Ahhh... But this was not gambling. No payment was made to enter.
Just an address and phone number was given for the chance of a 4 night getaway somewhere... I don't remember.
A seemingly innocuous gesture on my part.. Just look where it got me... :( :(
I still consider it gambling. You don't pay with money you pay with your personal information, which is just as valuable as money to the sharks collecting it. Facebook is filled with people trying every scam imaginable to get your email address and phone number so they can resell them. There are teenagers cashing big checks every month because they have figured out how to collect this information.

My wife who unfortunately is somewhat naive (look who she married) panicked and called the number on the screen. The so called Microsoft rep charmed her socks off and loaded the computer with malware. On top of the fee for installing McAfee which we already had we spent another $90 getting the mess cleaned up. I talked to Microsoft and was told they never notify customers in this manner. She took the information and said they would be dealing with it. The person DW talked to actually called back to ask if we were happy with the changes to our computer, I told him the authorities were dealing with it and hung up.
We received an e-mail purportedly from a credit card company saying they had detected suspicious activity and the account was frozen. I didn't open the link, called Mastercard who confirmed it was a phishing scam. I am really tired of this nonsense.

Funny.... tired of the nonsense?  I've learned my student loan may be forgiven which is a good thing because I didn't even know after all these years I even had one.  And better yet, they'll change the interest rate on one of my charge cards.  They don't know which one so I would have to let them know.  And just yesterday I was in the running for an all expense paid vacation to somewhere --- the automated caller didn't say --- if I'd only give them the charge card number.  I am soon lucky!  ;D  :eek:

If I get a live one, my goal is to have them lose by hanging up first. :D

I had a call yesterday indicating I have a virus on my PC.  The conversation went like this:
Caller: You have a virus on your PC and I can fixit.
Me: I do not fall for scams and did not appreciate the call.
Caller: This is not a scam, you do in fact have a virus on your PC.
Me: That is interesting because I do not own a PC
Caller: CLICK!

If you want to make a huge dent in the phoney calls, give nomorobo dot com a try. It only works with some providers, but it is worth a try to see if it will work for you. It is free.. google it and read the reviews. We use it on our vonage phone and it helps a lot!

A quick work virus story (I worked in IT my entire life - retired now). When viruses first started appearing I got a call from lady in accounting. I went to her desk and she told me she thought her computer had a virus. I asked why she thought that. She replied that she has had a cold for several days and had been carrying some diskettes around in her purse. I started laughing.. then she started crying. I felt terrible and couldn't apologize enough. True story!

I'll second the Nomorobo referral! It works very well on our VOIP phone service. We also have the "Call Control" app from Kedlin Co. on our Android phones, and that works well also. It's rare that a scam, telemarketing, or even political call, gets past either one of them. And when they do, adding the number to the block list is simple.

The gotcha is that most of the IRS and other scammers use number spoofing.  A different calling number appears every time they call. 

The virus scammers get 'the treatment'.  They usually end up swearing, which is funny because they have no idea how to swear in English.  Sometimes I ask them if they're Hindu and if they are I ask what working at this criminal enterprise is doing to their karma.

Don't mess with retired IT guys.  ;D

I once had a caller like that. I asked him to hold on while I got my husband. I laid the phone down next to where my dog was thoroughly licking himself. After several minutes, the guy hung up. I thought they were never supposed to hang up. :O

When they created the "do not call" rules, they made charitable organizations exempt. What I found out is that once you put your name on the "do not call" lists, is that my calls from charitable organizations increased. I think they are using those lists to more numbers to call.

I can't be bothered to worry about the IRS as I was just informed by land line that the FBI had determined that my neighborhood had a very high crime rate. ;)
I have only noticed that the squirrels will on occasion steal the birds food.
Marvin

Bob,
You started this thread 10 weeks ago and that time it sounded like you were headed for jail with probably no visitation. What happened? Did they let you out on Good Behavior?

Rene T said:
Bob,
You started this thread 10 weeks ago and that time it sounded like you were headed for jail with probably no visitation. What happened? Did they let you out on Good Behavior?

Nawww... I busted outta the joint.
Fortunately I learned everything by watching The Shawshank Redemption.
I dug a tunnel outta my cell and covered the hole in the wall with a poster of Gary Brinck.  ;D ;D

BinaryBob said:
Nawww... I busted outta the joint.
Fortunately I learned everything by watching The Shawshank Redemption.
I dug a tunnel outta my cell and covered the hole in the wall with a poster of Gary Brinck.  ;D ;D

Good choice.  ;D :D ;)

I had a similar situation with a company with a similar URL to the one for Dell.  I stupidly let them control my computer because I thought they WERE Dell.  Of course they found a virus and wanted $300 to fix it.  At that point, I got smart and hung up on them.  Since I have Norton Antivirus installed, I called them for help finding out if a virus had really snuck in past their software.  They spent 45 minutes giving my computer a thorough scan--much more thorough than the usual one that runs automatically and found no virus.  And the best part was that there was no cost!! 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom