Updating a 6 year old Winegard sk-3005 Directv Slimline to the newer SK-SWM MOD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ascalco

I have a WINEGARD SK-3005 SLIMLINE Satellite on my 5TH wheel which is about 6 or so years old and I would like to update it to the newer SWM model style . Has anyone done this conversion? If so what was the process and how did it work out for you?

bobsharon said:
Updated mine 4 years ago. Order SWM interface at https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Single-Multi-Switch-Channel-SWM-16/dp/B003Z8TEF6.
Hooks up to existing dish. You will also need a DirecTV wide band splitter. Instruction manual provides hook up options and instructions. You do not need to modify the existing dish.
This supports DirecTV Whole-house and Genie HR44 and clients.

What is the purpose of the wide band splitter?  I have the upgrade, but dont have the spiltter.

Paul & Ann said:
What is the purpose of the wide band splitter?  I have the upgrade, but dont have the spiltter.
You only need one RF feed from the SWM. It can be split via the splitter to multiple tvs...one path has power to the multiswitch. This is from memory, check the instructions and manual to confirm.

bobsharon said:
You only need one RF feed from the SWM. It can be split via the splitter to multiple tvs...one pathpath has power to the multiswitch. This is from memory, check the instructions and manual to confirm.

Ok, I use a video bridge and minie genie to get the signal to my bedroom tv.

The original setup has four cables coming into the coach from the Dish outside is that still necessary or were you able to just use a single run?

ascalco said:
  The original setup has four cables coming into the coach from the Dish outside is that still necessary or were you able to just use a single run?

The four cables from the Trav'ler must be connected to a SWM8 switch which I have attached to the roof.  From the SWM8 there is a single coax to our Genie and also one to the miniGenie C41 in the bedroom.

All of this is very clearly detailed in this Winegard document: http://www.winegard.com/help/images/d/d1/2452242.pdf

No problem with the SWM being exposed to the weather ?

ascalco said:
  No problem with the SWM being exposed to the weather ?

No, it's designed for outside use.  Mine was installed by a DirecTV installer.  The SWM8 gets quite warm and it is better off outside the RV.

Joel, thanks for the link to the Winegard document.

docj said:
No, it's designed for outside use.  Mine was installed by a DirecTV installer.  The SWM8 gets quite warm and it is better off outside the RV.

My SWM 8 is attached directly to the roof with no air space under it, and this summer when it was over 90 degrees it would over heat an shut down.  I just placed a shade over it, and it worked fine, so when I get ambitious, I will raise it up off the roof allowing air to flow under it, and hopefully, it will run cooler.

Attachments

• 20151209_112947 (1362 x 766).jpg
    20151209_112947 (1362 x 766).jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 28
Paul & Ann said:
My SWM 8 is attached directly to the roof with no air space under it,

I used automotive trim adhesive tape to hold down my SWM8.  I don't know if the small space between it and the roof is preventing overheating, but we've not had any problems even during a south Texas summer.

Mine is also sealed down to the roof with no problems. Generally, electronics equipment likes to be firmly attached to a heat sink to dissipate thermal energy, there would need to be significant airflow to provide better cooling.

Thanks to everyone who replied, all the information really helped . 

New question about the Winegard SWM 8 installation . I have installed everything according to the instruction and everything seems to be working great but does anyone know just how hot the SWM 8 gets ? It is cloudy today so no sun beating down on it but it is real hot to the touch!!

ascalco said:
  New question about the Winegard SWM 8 installation . I have installed everything according to the instruction and everything seems to be working great but does anyone know just how hot the SWM 8 gets ? It is cloudy today so no sun beating down on it but it is real hot to the touch!!

Yes, it gets quite hot.  Don't worry, mine's been in place for >4 years with no problems.

The four cables from the Trav'ler must be connected to a SWM8 switch which I have attached to the roof. From the SWM8 there is a single coax to our Genie and also one to the miniGenie C41 in the bedroom.

All of this is very clearly detailed in this Winegard document: Page Not Found | Winegard Company
Does anyone have a copy of this document? The link doesnt work. I just acquired a used one of this model and we are having trouble getting the signal. Tech hooked it up wrong the first time (he disnt realize it was older model) so i want to check everything i can for whem he comes back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom