question about towing ford transit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mooch

I want to flat tow my ford transit van. I was planning on a driveshaft disconnect. I have read somewhere that even with the rear wheels off the ground ford says to only tow it 50mph max and short distances. I can't figure out why.  The steering wheel locks without the key in it, so I figured I would have to just leave it in.  Anybody know if towing this vehicle with a disconnect is ok?  I talked with remco and they said they have done several transit disconnects so far and blue ox has a tow bar for it. 

If you are only going to tow it 1 time than just get a trailer to tow it. If you are going to tow it around more than that have a conversation with a Technician at the dealer.  He would be able to tell you what to do. It sure would be a pain to remove the D/S every time.

I have read somewhere that even with the rear wheels off the ground ford says to only tow it 50mph max and short distances.

Forget "read somewhere" and go by what the owner manual or an official  Ford document says. Or call Ford Customer Service and discuss.

Modern vehicles often have antilock brakes (ABS), traction control (anti-skid) and other chassis control features that monitor what the wheels are doing at all times. Sometimes they have to be disabled for extended towing, e.g. remove the battery cable or some similar action.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom