tow rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sierramann

i know that the info is here in this forum somewhere, and i apologize for asking a question that has probably been asked many many times, but can someone give me the equation on determining what a particular vehicle can safely tow. i remember seeing it here somewhere but can't remember where....
thank you in advance

In it's simplest form, it's:

Towing capacity = (GCWR - GWVR)

GCWR = gross combined vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle.

GVWR = gross vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle.

Click here to see an example in our forum library.

If you're planning on towing a car behind a motorhome, click here for an example.
[edit]Link update[/edit]

sierramann said:
i know that the info is here in this forum somewhere, and i apologize for asking a question that has probably been asked many many times, but can someone give me the equation on determining what a particular vehicle can safely tow. i remember seeing it here somewhere but can't remember where....
thank you in advance

Less simply:

Go to the Trailer Life Magazine's web site and find their tow rating tables in Tech section.  Look up the truck you are interested in in the table for its model year.  Take the number you see there and discount it by 10% to allow a safety factor.  If your truck does not have a turbo-diesel engine, change that 10% to 20% for towing in the Mountain and Pacific West to allow for high altitudes and long steep grades.

Take that discounted tow rating and buy a trailer that has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) less than or equal to it.    GWVR can be found on the trailer's DOT plate and in mfr specifications on web-sites -- often there as the sum of base/dry weight plus carrying capacity.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom