Black Hills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

What commercial campground would you guys recommend as a base of ops for touring the Deadwood-Mt Rushmore-Black Hills area? Will try to stay a couple of days at Custer SP too...which campground in the SP do you recommend?
Thanks,

Don't forget to let us know the answer Bruce  :)

BruceinFL said:
What commercial campground would you guys recommend as a base of ops for touring the Deadwood-Mt Rushmore-Black Hills area? Will try to stay a couple of days at Custer SP too...which campground in the SP do you recommend?
Thanks,

I would recommend the Hart Ranch.  Been there a couple times and it is a nice park. 

BruceinFL said:
Thanks,

Bruce,

If you're eligible to use military FamCamps, I can recommend the one at Ellsworth AFB.

While we were there we took the tour at Fort Hays. We really enjoyed the tour and I didn't have to do the driving. ?:) They hit all the sites. We took the tour that includes the two meals and evening entertainment. Really enjoyed it.

BernieD said:
Use it while you can, Ellsworth is on the BRAC list :(

Heard that today. The news media is talking like it's a done deal and every base on the list is going to close tomorrow. ::) After 20 years in the military I know that what comes out on the first list is never what is on the list when the President signs the final bill.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Bruce,

If you're eligible to use military FamCamps, I can recommend the one at Ellsworth AFB.

While we were there we took the tour at Fort Hays. We really enjoyed the tour and I didn't have to do the driving. ?:) They hit all the sites. We took the tour that includes the two meals and evening entertainment. Really enjoyed it.

I was thinking about Ellsworth but thought it might be a little too far from the center of thwe Black Hills/Badlands area. What do you think?
(Got to use the FamCamp befrore the base closes.  :-\

Last year while in  Rapid City to get my Driver's license  we stayed at Hart Ranch and took their tour for a reduced rate.  We broke one of their many rules by parking with our MH hanging out over their grass too far and were  made aware of this by a knock on the door.
The park was beautiful.  We visited Ellsworth  and the highlight was to tour a missile site.  It had been a training site.  Having attended elementary school in the 50's and  dropped , ducked and covered for the "bomb" scares it was interesting to see why .
We also stayed in Custer State park and loved it.
Have a nice trip.
Betty Brewer

BruceinFL said:
I was thinking about Ellsworth but thought it might be a little too far from the center of thwe Black Hills/Badlands area. What do you think?
(Got to use the FamCamp befrore the base closes.? :-\

Bruce,

EAFB is about 35 miles from Mount Rushmore. As I said, we took the tour with Fort Hays. Fort Hays is about 15 miles from EAFB so I didn't drive to any of the attractions. I guess only you can decided how far is too far.

Betty Brewer said:
We also stayed in Custer State park and loved it.
Have a nice trip.
Betty Brewer

Betty,
Do you remember which campground in Custer SP you stayed at?

Betty,
Do you remember which campground in Custer SP you stayed at?

Bruce,
I just knew you would ask.? One thing about full timing is you just don't have the room to keep the flyers from camp grounds.? Fortunately Terry has a photographic memory and he recalled the Campground? was Game Lodge. It is in a beautiful setting and was relaxing for us.? We were there in early June and it was not very crowded during the week.? Weekends might? require a reservation which can be done on line.

Betty Brewer

Betty Brewer said:
One thing about full timing is you just don't have the room to keep the flyers from camp grounds.wer

I scan in the brochures, usually just the map and rules pages.  Keep them in folders by state.

Ned said:
I scan in the brochures, usually just the map and rules pages.  Keep them in folders by state.

Ned

You might want to consider using a terrific program called Rolling Stock. Gives me the dates I've been there, cost, room to write notes about the CG, etc. I even got the developer to put in a sort program so I could easily locate places we've stayed at. Give it a try, well worth the money ;D ;D ;D

Ned even qualifies for the extra special discount on RS  ;D

Now I suppose you want me to add scanning of brochures to the program :)

Betty Brewer said:
[Bruce,
I just knew you would ask.? One thing about full timing is you just don't have the room to keep the flyers from camp grounds.? Fortunately Terry has a photographic memory and he recalled the Campground? was Game Lodge. It is in a beautiful setting and was relaxing for us.? We were there in early June and it was not very crowded during the week.? Weekends might? require a reservation which can be done on line.

Betty Brewer

OK then, Game Lodge it is. By the way, did you see any game there?  ;)

Back
Top Bottom