Inner slide leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

We've been dealing with this problem for at least 3 years.  Sometimes, not every time, it rains and our passenger side slide is out we get a steady stream of water right into our dining area.  It drops from the low point in the slide facia seen in the first image.  The trim is warped from the water over the years.  The water does not enter the cabinet at all.  Everything in it is dry.

The second image shows the backslide of that area.  As you can see I've tried a silicon caulking.  If you look closely you can see that the caulking isn't sticking to the TPO.  It held for about 6 months.

What's the best way to caulk this area?  Dichor?  Eternabond?  Something else?

We already have slideout covers.  Water still gets on the slides.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 61
I was under the impression that the inner "D" seal kept out the water when the slides were extended. Using the silicone was probably a mistake as it doesn't stick well to anything,  and nothing else will stick to it now,  even more silicone. I would think you will have to remove the silicone and and work pretty hard to remove all traces of it so something else will work on it. No matter what you use, you should do some serious cleaning of the area where you are sealing. I would also think if the "D" seal does in fact do the sealing, the warped fascia may not let it do it's job.

Just thought I would give this a bump so maybe someone with some knowledge can give him a good answer.

The fascia is just the front trim piece on the front and has little effect on sealing.  The leak is (I think) in the places where the silicon caulking was applied.  It actually stopped the leak for several months, but we haven't had much rain until this week so there's no way of knowing for sure.

It took less than 10 minutes to get all of the silicon caulking off.  It peeled off easily.  When I get a chance I'll snap and edit a picture of where I think the leak is.

OK, Here's a picture of the leaking area with the caulking removed.  If you look closely you can see the 1/32" gap where the metal meets the TPO roof of the slide.  It looks like there's an inner seal and it has failed.

I should add that the D seal and the wiper seal were both replaced about a year ago.  And after that the shop could not make it leak.  It leaked the first time it rained when the slides were out.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 35
Other than clean it up and put Dicor sealant or Eternacaulk back on it, I don't know. I assume there's limited room to work,  so Eternabond tape may be difficult to get in place correctly. I don't know what you should use to get the remnants of the silicone off, but if you don't,  nothing else will stick.  I was really hoping someone with knowledge of how that section is constructed would chime in to give you solid advice.

Have you talked to Fleetwood about the problem? I am also thinking you might try to get some shim material and insert it behind the seal to make it stick out more.
Bill

I used self leveling Dichor after cleaning the TPO and metal with a wire brush and denatured alcohol.  I won't know if it's going to leak until it rains when we're out in the RV again.  At least the Dichor sticks well to TPO.

I hope it works for you. Can you use a hose to see if anything leaks as a preliminary check?

Have you looked at the top of the slide when it's out? Does the gasket flap come out with the slideout? I got my first trailer with a slideout & put a slideout protecterant on the rubber flaps to protect them. My slideout is over the wheels & therefore doesn't go all the way down. It leaked in the first big rain because the flaps are now slippery & don't flip out when the slide extends. I cleaned the slide sides & the rubber flaps, but I still check to see the flaps are out every time I park.

Back
Top Bottom