rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Sturgis South Dakota 2017 motorcycle rally  (Read 1903 times)

harryw

• ---
Sturgis South Dakota 2017 motorcycle rally
« on: October 16, 2016, 01:38:04 PM »
Hi,
New to rving and July 2017 will be our first major trip.
Can anyone recommend a great place to stay near the rally in Sturgis South Dakota.
Thanks

beaverfever

• ---
Re: Sturgis South Dakota 2017 motorcycle rally
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 01:45:01 PM »
hi
if you put sturgis in the search box on the top right of page you will find many reviews of the rally whether you want mild to wild.

john owens

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »
Google the Sturgis Rally. I haven't been but there is a huge campground with a few hundred acres that has it all...rv hookups, dry camping,bars,concerts every night and many places to eat. I believe it is adult orientated as many women love to show their pride there....both of them! Cheers...
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 12:29:06 AM »
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a great place to stay near the rally in Sturgis South Dakota.
Thanks
Yes, as far from it as possible!

We made the mistake of going to Deadwood, SD in a RV when we did not know Sturgis was going on. That was around five or six years ago.  We also did not know Sturgis  was so close to Deadwood.  Not only are all the RV parks very expensive during that time, it's difficult to find a place available anyplace near Stugis / Deadwood.  Loud Harley noise everywhere, and I mean all night long.   Many were towed in and they  stayed at RV parks. RV park prices are around ten times the normal price during Sturgis--and that includes any place near it, for around 100 miles or so.

I should have known, but didn't even think about it. I have been riding  motorcycles for around fifty years. I now own five motorcycles (1971 BMW R75/5, 1984 Yamaha Venture, 2002 Suzuki DR200SE, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2016 Kawasaki Versy 650 LT). I've been riding for 50 years.

We couldn't get out of the area fast enough. We drove all night and ended up somewhere in KS.

I guess I should just say that type of crowd just isn't my thing--even though I ride motorcycles. But I want you to know what to expect, mainly very noisy crowds everywhere, nonstop all night.  Crowds everywhere for many miles.

However, one thing that was ready for the big crowds and was very well organized, was a visit to Mt Rushmore.  They had  separate lines  for the countless motorcycles.  Many people directing traffic for parking and no delay despite the very large crowd. About the only thing we were able to do in the area before rushing out ASAP of SD.

If you want to eat at a restaurant during that time, or do much of anything else,  expect a couple of hundred motorcyclists waiting in front of you for many miles in any direction from Sturgis.

IMO, Sturgis is something to avoid during that time. But a lot of people must love it as it's a big crowd every year.

-Don-  Reno, NV
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Nine  motorcycles:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank
2017 H-D RoadGlide Ultra FLTRU

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
Yes, as far from it as possible!

IMO, Sturgis is something to avoid during that time. But a lot of people must love it as it's a big crowd every year.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I agree with Don wholeheartedly. We lived in the area for 9 years just as Sturgis was evolving from nothing more than a hill climb to a full blown rally.  We visited with some friends last year in May and they described to us what is only a nightmare for camping enthusiasts.  In late July we drove I-29 down the eastern side of South Dakota and from Sioux Falls going south we must have passed over a thousand of more motorcycles headed north (and then west from Sioux Falls). They were being ridden, trailered and even loaded on the back of motorhomes.  Best to plan a Black Hills visit a few weeks before or after Sturgis.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11.5 & Squeak-6.5, Winnie the ShihTzu - 20 mos

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:11:41 AM »
Agreed.
I'm an avid rider. You can't beat the Black Hills on a bike. But I avoid Sturgis as well.
As you are new to RV'ing, I would not recommend this for your first trip. You will be busy acclimating to the new rig and won't need the commotion and overpopulation of Sturgis.
You can forget trying to get gas in that area.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

Becks

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »
From 1970 to 2010 I only missed four Sturgis rallies. The seventies were fun, eighties ok, nineties just one big traffic jam. Love the Blk Hills and still enjoy, just no more Sturgis.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon/2003 Honda CRV

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »
 I attended for 12 years in the 70s and discontinued when the one percenters showed up and try ed to burn the town down.. The fire dept. was then all volunteers and the mayor had an eye put out when the dipsticks began throwing bottles and rocks at the firemen....I was ashamed to be a biker after that.>>>Dan (I was in the business for 21 years)
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

Gregg

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
Google the Sturgis Rally. I haven't been but there is a huge campground with a few hundred acres that has it all...rv hookups, dry camping,bars,concerts every night and many places to eat. I believe it is adult orientated as many women love to show their pride there....both of them! Cheers...
The campground is called Buffalo Chip.  There are others, but it is the largest.  Google it or go directly to their web site.  Big name bands almost every night.  Nice because you can have a couple of beers or whatever without having to worry about driving home at night.  Full bars where the bands are.
Be aware:
1. Technically the local ordinance prohibits taking alcohol into the campgrounds because they have a liquor license and they do random searches of vehicles when first checking in.
2. If you travel with a fire arm, leave it at home.  They say they tag it and you can retrieve it when you leave, but I would not want someone to take possession of my property. 
3. Between the Chip and all around Sturgis itself, DO NOT exceed the speed limit and make sure you do not roll through stop streets unless you just want to donate money to the town via fines and court costs. 
4. Full hookups are probably not available.  One other tidbit if you stay there, order a pump-out a couple of days before you need it.  A decent amount of water and electric hookups but they are also limited.
5. And most of all, if you are into Harleys, Rock n Roll, with a little Country rolled in, be prepared to have a good time.

Great time and last year was not nearly as bad as 2015 which was the 75th.  Riding is about as good as it gets in this lifetime.  Google it on YouTube to get a flavor of the crowds.  I personally like to get there a few days before the rally to get settled in and downtown shopping done before the masses.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:54:14 PM by Gregg »
Make everyday a good day.
2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2007 Harley Ultra CVO

trdiller

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 08:20:22 AM »
Hi,
Thanks

As far away as possible :)

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
I was in the Black Hills area for a week about 5 years ago. I drove through Sturgis the Tuesday before the start of the rally that upcoming weekend. Sturgis is a very small town and there was nothing much going on at that time. Just putting up the stalls... etc.  There were several hundred motorcycles riding the Black Hills area at that time but no real problems. Since all that stuff is not my thing I am glad that I moved on before that party started.
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian