Converter/Inverter/Charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Inverter update:  So far so good!  Everything operating normally, for now.  Still plan to replace Dimensions when the budget allows.

Also completed install of new Voyager monitor as well as replacement for Sony camera.  I started with a new monitor but turns out it was the camera that was bad (bench test at RVCams confirmed).  Went ahead and ordered the new camera and it's all happy now.  A Dremel with a cutoff wheel was all I needed to modify the dash opening for the new monitor.  Dare I say it looks like a factory install!  We did have a signal hiccup once installed.  Turns out the connection at the camera was a little wonky.  I had tested the new camera with the new monitor as well as the old monitor.  The old monitor actually still works but I figure it is only a matter of time before it too fails.  A creative use of duct tape solved the connection issue until I can find a permanent fix.  Thanks to Tim, Mark and David at RVCams for their help.  And thanks to John Canfield as well as others who posted their Sony replacement fixes on this forum!  Invaluable as always!

Still chasing the engine light.  Hopefully that gets checked off in the coming weeks.
That's all for now.  Thanks again to all contributors!

Mike
2004 Journey 34H
Cumins 300
2001 GC w/brake buddy and Blue Ox

SargeW said:
Hmmm, my Magnum panel is one hard wire directly connected to the Magnum Inverter.  Since my Inverter is on all the time, when I unhook shore power the Inverter takes over and runs the whole coach.  I just assumed since the alternator's first job is powering the chassis batteries, the house gets what's left thus tripping the gen start when the refer cycles.  Or so I thought......
its plugged into the magnums data port, but its power, AND its sense come from another single wire. In th ITASCA I found out the one place panel isn't the place to pull power/ sense for this particular device

MIKE: I'd like to see pix of the monitor install when you get a chance.. tnx

I have a new wrinkle re the Dimensions. Although the inverter function works properly the house bank isn't charging on shore power or from gen set. The remote panel indicates conditioning mode only. Can this be changed/reset? The batts (3) are brand new AGM. I thought I solved the problem when I got the inverter wired properly at the bank. Clearly I haven't and its driving me nuts.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Boy, there's not allot of knobs to adjust on that box. If the inverter is running then clearly there is proper connection. They ONLY think I can think of is a small mode switch on the side of the inverter that I THINK selects between flooded and AGM. It's been a few years since I replaced mine but that's the only memory of really any adjustment that think has.

What Jeff said is correct. The switch on the side of the Demented is 4 position. A=sealed LA > 400Ah, B = sealed LA < 400Ah, C = wet LA > 400Ah, and D = wet LA <400Ah. I still have the manual is soft copy, even though my Demented went to a landfill long ago.
The Demented manual states that 'conditioning' happens 'every 10th complete charge cycle'. Duration = 3-4 max. So maybe the new AGMs were low in charge? Not good if 'conditioning' is always on.

My RS2000 is also gone to some landfill. Replaced both fans once, second smaller one lasted longer than original but then the smaller one locked up. Got fans from a computer parts place in FL if I remember correctly. Also had intermittent wiring problem which was due to network cable from unit to control panel.

Now have Magnum MS2000 with the ME-ARC (upgraded panel). Very pleased with both the inverter charger and panel. Still have my Xantrex XBM which always displays SOC. The MS2000 handles charging extremely well and does not 'get in the way' of my 4 100w PV panels on the roof as the RS2000 did.

NoMoreAZ said:
.....My RS2000 is also gone to some landfill. Replaced both fans once, second smaller one lasted longer than original but then the smaller one locked up. ....
You too?  :p Xantrex replaced my first one under warranty after two years due to very noisy fans, they probably would have locked up as well. One difference I noticed between the RS2000 and the Magnum is the Xantrex fans ran 100% of the time and the Magnum fans are variable speed depending on wherever they stuck the thermistor.  I also have forced air cooling in that small electrical bay which I think helps to prevent untimely thermal failures.

I'm going to put my RS2000 on eBay for parts, I was thinking about taking it apart but I have no room left in my small radio room/electronics lab.

One difference I noticed between the RS2000 and the Magnum is the Xantrex fans ran 100% of the time and the Magnum fans are variable speed depending on wherever they stuck the thermistor.

I think the Xantrex fans are thermostatic as well. The one in my Xantrex RV2500 is and it  doesn't run much under normal loads.  Yours may have run hot enough that they were always on.

The Xantrex RS and RV series were re-packaged older Heart Interface designs.  Newer electronics are lower power and run cooler, so the Xantrex replacement products are probably less prone to this sort of problem. I'm still not impressed with Xantrex quality/reliability, though.

John: I vaguely remember to talking about venting the elect bay. How did you do that?

Fairly simple project, write up here. Used a 12V marine bilge/engine room blower, when we're getting ready to hit the road, we turn it on. The genesis of this was all of the Trombetta solenoid failures I had, I was thinking it was somehow thermally related since the solenoids were in a closed metal box in the relatively small electrical bay.

This also keeps the Magnum cooler, one more bonus.

All my power distribution is from way up front, but I can get that Magnum pretty toasty on a hard charge with the door closed. Might need to get some air down there

Dimensions update.  I located the switch for battery type and capacity.  It was in the D position so i switched it to A.  Had to use a mirror to see it and correct the position.  Turns out working backwards in the mirror is an acquired skill! Don't know how dentists do it so well.
I don't have a way to test with shore power but with gen running I still get conditioning mode on charger...
On a funny note I ordered a Safe-T-Plus for the coach.  Got ready to install it and slid under on the creeper to discover it already has one!
I thought I'd be too embarrassed to mention it but I'm laughing about it today.  Guess I should look at the bright side.  Just saved $550!
Anyway it feels as if I've exhausted my options on the Dimensions.  With the snow falling here in Chicago I won't get any time on the road or plugged in to see if the conditioning cycle gives way to normal charging cycles.  If anyone has other suggestions as to a reset or hammer etc. I'll try it!

Stay warm and dry!
Mike

If it is indeed in trouble, don't throw good money after bad. Take that $550 you saved, assume you are going to pay $450 or so to fix that Dimensions, and start looking at a Magnum MS-2012

mojomike said:
... It was in the D position so i switched it to A.  ...
I don't have a way to test with shore power but with gen running I still get conditioning mode on charger...
... If anyone has other suggestions as to a reset or hammer etc. I'll try it! ...
Stay warm and dry!
Mike
The 31-AGM7 are 96Ah www.interstatedealers.com/pdf/201080.pdf Manual indicates you should switch to B (3x96Ah<400)

Whenever there is a power source plugged in (genset, shoreline, whatever), the inverter is not... inverting, the charger takes on, and charge the battery, depending on their SOC (level1>Bulk, level2>Accept, and level3>conditioning).
You still get the "conditioning cycle" status, even without genset and shoreline?

AGM batteries don't like being overcharged. When you reach 100%SOC, check that your charger is not overcharging your batteries.
There is a precise voltage (unconnected battery - no charge) for 100%SOC. Can be 12.7ish/12.8/12.8ish, depending on your AGM specs and manufacturer recommendations.
Some bad settings, or a malfunctioning charger can possibly ruin batteries. Never trust too much any (used) electronics, measure it.

Serious inverters/chargers:
www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva

New to full time RVing. I have a 2006 itasca ellipse with a dimensions inverter / charger that i thought was toast. It would not charge the house batteries, We are in Oliver b.c. Canada for the winter. It was working fine in above freezing temps but when the outside temps dropped to  -1C  Daytime to -10 C  at night it stopped charging the house batteries. The house batteries were anywhere from 2 to 7 years old so I replaced them, didn't help. This went on for about 10 days then the weather warmed up to plus 2 and the charger started working again. According the owners manual the unit should be good to -20 C. I put a trouble light in the electrical bay to keep it warm and it seems to have corrected the problem even with temps back down to -10 C.

You have a thermistor somewhere on or in between the batteries (I forgot) that does adjustments to the charge cycle. I suppose it's possible that the thermistor electronics are whacked and causing this problem, but this is a first. Dimensions have lots of problems but this is a new one to me

SCVJeff said:
You have a thermistor somewhere on or in between the batteries (I forgot) that does adjustments to the charge cycle...
Jeff - that thermister should be on one of the battery posts.  Yes, that's a weird problem! Best fix is to replace the Dimented inverter/charger.

Back
Top Bottom