Selling the truck & hauling the TT with U-Haul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guguluff

I found similar threads, but just for one time hauling. I want to ask questions about hauling the trailer for a family vacation (or short weekend camping trips).
We have a newer truck and a pretty high monthly rate. Unfortunately we rarely use the truck, we prefer the sedan car. So the truck is most of the time parked in the driveway, waiting for a longer family trip.
We used once U-haul to move the TT from our house to the storage and it worked out OK. But the trucks they offer have just 2 seats and we need at least 4. Cost wise, for a longer trip (Ks to Yellowstone, 10 days, 1,200 miles) we would pay as much as we pay for 2,5 month of loan so if we could find a rent truck w/ a crewcab it would be perfect.
Any other things I forgot to mention and to take into account? Someone here does that?

Most rental companies have four door trucks available but they are not equipped for towing. You would in most cases violate your rental agreement and void the insurance.

As that time we rented the truck, we let U-haul know our plans of towing a TT. Of course we'll ask for a safe truck to tow the TT, we don't like unpleasant surprises.
I think we should call them to ask if they have crew cab trucks. I couldn't find any on their site, in our area.

My area has a place called "Rugged Rental" that rents vans (and maybe trucks) set up for towing. Our outdoor club uses them regularly to haul groups of people while towing big trailers full of gear. You might want to see if they are available in your area.

You may be well served to sell the very nice late model truck and replace it with a 10 - 15 year old truck with a much lower (or no) payment.  I certainly would NOT sell the truck until you have determined how you will tow the TT for family outings.  I am not aware of any place that rents crew cab trucks AND allows using the truck to tow a trailer.

UTTransplant, I found that Rugged Rental is only in Utah. And also looked at other renting companies but we live in a smaller city, we don't even have an Enterprise (they have crew cab trucks).
grashley, the husband wouldn't take the chance to drive an older truck far from home. We discussed it a year ago when we started the lease, but it's a no-go. I think it would be a good time to take a decision since we'll be winterizing the TT soon. You're right, we should find a renting place, first. Will call U-haul tomorrow to ask about a longer trip, towing a TT w/ their truck.

Guguluff said:
UTTransplant, I found that Rugged Rental is only in Utah. And also looked at other renting companies but we live in a smaller city, we don't even have an Enterprise (they have crew cab trucks).

I spent 20 years managing a car rental agency for one of the big boys (you'd know the name).  All of the major players (there are actually only three left) SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDE TOWING, in writing, on the rental agreement.  If you do it, you are violating the rental agreement.  So what, you say?  Here's so what.

1.  Any coverage you take will be nullified.  You could potentially be on the hook for the full retail value of the truck if anything were to happen resulting in it being a total loss.  If you think your personal insurance covers the truck, especially towing, GET IT IN WRITING BEFORE renting the truck.  Nothing sucks worse than paying for a vehicle you will never get to drive again.  Even if it isn't totalled, you'll be on the hook for repairs and down time while it's in the shop.  Yes, I've personally seen it happen.....many times. 

2.  If the truck breaks down, they can refuse to give you another one.  After all, you violated the rental agreement.  Yes, that means they could pick up their truck.....and leave your trailer wherever the truck happened to break, including by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.  Not fun.

3.  They can black list you from renting again.  Ever again.

Ensure that ANY company you rent a truck from specifies that you are allowed to tow with it IN WRITING.  Don't trust the guy behind the counter saying "sure....no problem" unless he shows it to you in writing.

U-Haul says on their website that their trucks can tow a trailer, but when I inquired they said it was only for towing one of their own trailers, one of the box trailers or a car on a full trailer or dolly.  They don't allow someone to tow their own trailer behind the truck.

One of the considerations is braking - U-Haul's trailers have surge brakes that don't use a brake controller so their trucks can't operate the electric brakes on RV trailers.  Moving your trailer on a short trip to the storage yard without having operating trailer brakes is one thing, but you definitely want full braking control for an extended highway trip.

There are Drayage outfits that will tow your TT to an RV Site, and Back, for you.

It's purdy surprising how many folks there are, that have a TT or FW.. that don't even have tow vehicle, or Ever had one.

BIG JOE said:
There are Drayage outfits that will tow your TT to an RV Site, and Back, for you.

It's purdy surprising how many folks there are, that have a TT or FW.. that don't even have tow vehicle, or Ever had one.

That's true, but there aren't many that will allow you to rent the truck for a 2 week, 1200 mile, trip to Yellowstone.

We called and they said we can tow our TT (he asked twice about a travel trailer, not just a trailer) with their truck on a longer trip. But they offer just trucks w/  3 seats. Eventually we could drive the car and the rented truck and use the car while staying there, return the truck and take another one, for the way back.
Frizlefrak, this is what I found on the site. And for sure we need to read the contract first.
https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/123/Truck-User-Instructions/
"Trailers
If you plan to tow your own trailer, check with a U-Haul representative to determine the maximum trailer weight you can tow. Make sure your trailer is properly loaded, that the coupler and safety chains are attached and that the trailer lights are working properly. See your trailer owner's manual for more information."
And here: https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/Pickup-Rental/BP/
"Tow your boat" and "Towing capacity: Up to 6,000 lbs."

Lou Schneider, we have to inquire about the trailer brakes. But the man remembers they worked fine w/ the rented truck (it had a trailer brake switch).
Yellowstone is on our longer trip list, but not all the trips would be like that.

You are definitely wasting money on the newer truck sitting in the driveway, paying high payments, hardly being used.  Something you don't even want to take on vacation to tow your TT, if I understand correctly?  The bank loves you, no doubt about that... but what are you gaining from that arrangement?

Guguluff said:
Cost wise, for a longer trip (Ks to Yellowstone, 10 days, 1,200 miles) we would pay as much as we pay for 2,5 month of loan so if we could find a rent truck w/ a crewcab it would be perfect.

Are you referring to fuel costs?  Obviously you would have to pay fuel and mileage costs on a rental too.  I think I'm missing something.

Guguluff said:
We called and they said we can tow our TT (he asked twice about a travel trailer, not just a trailer) with their truck on a longer trip. But they offer just trucks w/  3 seats. Eventually we could drive the car and the rented truck and use the car while staying there, return the truck and take another one, for the way back.
Frizlefrak, this is what I found on the site. And for sure we need to read the contract first.
https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/123/Truck-User-Instructions/
"Trailers
If you plan to tow your own trailer, check with a U-Haul representative to determine the maximum trailer weight you can tow. Make sure your trailer is properly loaded, that the coupler and safety chains are attached and that the trailer lights are working properly. See your trailer owner's manual for more information."
And here: https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/Pickup-Rental/BP/
"Tow your boat" and "Towing capacity: Up to 6,000 lbs."

Lou Schneider, we have to inquire about the trailer brakes. But the man remembers they worked fine w/ the rented truck (it had a trailer brake switch).
Yellowstone is on our longer trip list, but not all the trips would be like that.

U-Haul may allow it.  You mentioned Enterprise.  I can tell you specifically that any of the big "car rental" companies will specifically exclude it.  Get the idea of renting a pickup from Enterprise (or Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Thrifty, etc) and towing with it out of your head.  Very bad (and potentially costly) idea.

Even with U-Haul, get everything specifically in writing....ie....you are allowed to pull your travel trailer with this tow vehicle.  If it doesn't say something extremely close to that, don't do it regardless of what the guy behind the counter says.  He works for U-Haul....he doesn't own the company.  And be 100% certain the tow vehicle can operate your trailer's electric brakes as Lou said. 

Scottydl, we felled in the credit's trap 2,5 years ago, when we moved in the States. Before that we had nothing that we did not own. But we're beginning to wake up, trying to pay for the car faster and in the near future moving in a smaller house.
I was referring to the truck's renting cost ($200 the fee for 10 days, 100 insurance and 700 for additional miles). It's a lot for a trip but comparing this to the monthly payments for the 3 months of winter... seems like a positive balance if we rent.
Frizlefrak, sorry about the mixed up. The closest Enterprise is 300 miles away... so it's out of the question. We need to use some local renting company.
Actually we like the truck for family trips, the kids appreciate the extra space and love to play in the truck bed. But it gets 15mpg compared to the car that gets almost double.

Guguluff said:
Scottydl, we felled in the credit's trap 2,5 years ago, when we moved in the States. Before that we had nothing that we did not own. But we're beginning to wake up, trying to pay for the car faster and in the near future moving in a smaller house.

I understand and we've all been there... good that you are making strides to get back "into the black" (positive) territory.  ;)

Guguluff said:
I was referring to the truck's renting cost ($200 the fee for 10 days, 100 insurance and 700 for additional miles). It's a lot for a trip but comparing this to the monthly payments for the 3 months of winter... seems like a positive balance if we rent.

That might make sense if you are talking about selling (or turning in) the current leased truck before winter, and renting instead for the extended trip.

Trust me/us, there are PLENTY of good used trucks that are just as reliable as new ones, and won't put you in a debt hole like the current lease.  My '95 Suburban is one example.  It was purchased just as the camper hauler, but we are currently using it as a daily driver after selling another car (more quickly than expected) while I shop for its replacement.

If you like having a truck, you can save up for awhile (after getting rid of monthly payments) and buy one in cash that will meet all your needs.

Scott  X2

I have only had 3 NEW vehicles out of the 20+ vehicles we have owned.  With one exception, they all had in excess of 125,000 miles when we traded them.  The exception was a '76 Volare we bought NEW.  It hit 40,000 miles and became a lemon.

Most of these cars / trucks were 3 - 7 years old, decent miles, and ran for several years with few problems.  One died at 225,000 miles.  One I traded at 175,000 because I wanted something different.  Used vehicles often cost half the price of a new one just like it (current truck market excepted).  Even a $300 repair once or twice a year is FAR less than payments on a new car, which may still need repairs.

I think a lightly used truck would serve you very well and very economically.  You should at least take a look.  In a small town, you may find a real great bargain!

Thank you all for the opinions. I agree, I like buying used because I skip the depreciation. We have to decide what to do w/ this truck first. It's a reliable car, but too big for me to go to weekly shopping, taking the kids to the park, etc. He uses the car for 2 longer commutes/ week, ~ 200 miles (round trip) so using the truck is out of the question if he doesn't need to haul anything. But we should of thought of that before...
I've seen and test driven some mid '90 or early 2000 full sized vans and would feel confident driving some of them, away from the home town. But he is more responsible than I am.  :) And besides... we had some unfortunate events w/ the TT, almost loosing the slide awning and a wheel/ axle on the highway. So driving an older truck and an unpredictable trailer scares the pants out off us.

Back
Top Bottom