EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Oregon Home Base?  (Read 2691 times)

Tom and Margi

• ---
Oregon Home Base?
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
If anyone is thinking of settling down in Oregon or using it as a home base, now would be the time to investigate the possibility.  Timber Valley, an Escapee park, in Sutherlin, OR has a waiting list which currently has 127 names on it and is growing steadily.  At this number it would normally take about 3 years or so to reach the top.  Nine years ago, before the economy tanked for awhile, we were 274 on the list and it took us six years and two months to get our lot.

Helaine Hepworth has done a great job of putting together the website which provides tons of information about the park and its activities.  www.timbervalleyskp.com 

donn

• ---
Re: Oregon Home Base?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »
Not sure who in their right ming would make Oregon a home base as a retiree!
Taxes on SSI, retirement, property taxes, high food and gas prices top the list of reasons to stay away.  Add horribly liberal government, well you get the point.
This from a second generation Oregonian.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:44:38 AM »
I am sure there are those who share your opinion, but I certainly don't.  You can't live more economically anywhere other than Timber Valley, so it makes all those other things you mentioned affordable and tolerable.  And, it's beautiful.

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »
donn, With our prices Oregon looks pretty darn attractive and as Margi says it is really beautiful.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

donn

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »
Well, if your coming from Kalifornia or Merryland then Oregon seems cheap.  Living and trying to earn a living here is a much different story.  Low wages, high prices make this a play ground for the rich and famous only.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
Well, we did come from California but our ancestors arrived in 1849 by going over Donner Summit in a covered wagon (Tom's Dad's family).  His mother's family took the Oregon Trail, eventually settling in Portland, again by covered wagon.  My grandfather worked for Southern Pacific, so they took a more civilized route via train in 1910. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:19:08 PM by Tom and Margi »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »
Reports show the Oregon Cost-of-Living index is just slightly below the national average. And substantially below California (but most states are). The average income in Oregon is about the same as Florida, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Minnesota and Maine.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

beaverfever

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
plus the rust is free.

skyhammer

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 05:14:50 PM »
I live in NW Calif.(think Redwoods). 5 years ago I bought a home base in LaPine,OR. 80 acres with a brand new 2100sq. ft. House for $250,000. That same property would be over $1million in NW Calif. I am gradually selling my 4000 acre ranch here. I just sold my house built in 1912 with 26 acres for $2.9million.
Since La PIne is so cold in Winter, I just bought 300 acres West of Roseburg Or. for $349,000 with a 2000 sq.ft. House. 
In Calif. it took me 9 months to get a building permit for a new barn, I just a building permit in Oregon in 3 days!
While property taxes are high, the accessed value is low, it is much cheaper Than Calif.
I pay 7 cents/KW for electricity in LaPine, in Calif. it starts a 35 cents/kw and goes much higher.
Fuel is 35 cents/gallon cheaper. No sales tax, sales tax in my County(Humboldt is going up to 9.75% next year.
Food is actually much cheaper than in my part of Calif. About the only thing is Oregon that cost more alcohol.
My vehicle license/registration fees cost me over $5000 in Calif. I am under $500 in Oregon. I talk to a lot of people in Oregon and they all complain about how expensive it there, but they have no idea how good they have it compared to Calif.
People in Oregon complain about their roads which are much better than in Calif.   
2011 Ford DRW,4X4
Host Everest, 11.5', triple slide

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 07:19:07 PM »
Coming from San Diego, Ca, to Medford, Or, our cost of living has dropped by about a 3rd. The only noticeable price increase from So Cal is wine prices here. Everything else, so far, is less. Property tax here in Or will be more, percentage wise, but since the house was half the price of ours in San Diego, it's a wash.
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. 6.6L Diesel. 4x4
Arctic Fox 22G.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 07:22:31 PM »
There is only one reason to live in Oregon. It is legal there.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

WildPlum

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »
People in Oregon complain about their roads which are much better than in Calif.   

That is debatable. When I lived near the south entrance to Crater Lake, I'd take Hwy 97 down from Klamath Falls to I-5 at Weed - you could pretty much tell the second you crossed the state line, out of Oregon, by the improvement in the roads and the upkeep in snow plowing.

Although it is pretty amusing, how many Bott's Dots and side reflectors CalTrans thinks a road needs.

Certainly the roads around the cities in California can be really bad, but I think that is a use issue. There are only 3.8 million people in Oregon, about 85% living within a couple hundred miles of Portland at the north end.

When the spouse retired, we could have gone anywhere, but we stayed in Oregon, even though we looked at pretty much the entire west. We did move from the north end of the state down to the south end, but we stayed in "our" state.

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »
That is debatable.

Wife and I just completed a 2255 mile road trip from Medford, Or to Payson, Az. In our little part of So Oregon, the roads are in great condition compared to Calif, Nevada, and Arizona areas that we drove through with Az being deplorable.

ModEdit: Fixed missing close quote tag. -LS
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:48:57 AM by Lou Schneider »
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. 6.6L Diesel. 4x4
Arctic Fox 22G.

WildPlum

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 09:45:49 AM »
Lol, I live a couple of blocks from the roundabout on Siskiyou. Medford roads are generally in good repair, except for some heavy use arterials. Also, in my older part of town, there are some very broken roads that are just a step up from gravel.

Not all of Oregon is that way though, especially up in the Portland metro area - same deal as LA, too many people, too much use.

Skeeter!

• ---
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 06:11:44 PM »
My home base is Oregon and while I am not a fan of the liberal policies enacted here, the tax structure and the lack of support for the more rural areas of the state, I wouldn't live anywhere else. The advantages far and away exceed the disadvantages in my humble opinion.
Michael & Cindy - RV Noobs!
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »
The first time we visited Oregon (in the 80's), I pulled into a gas station out in the boonies, driving the toad. The owner came out and (seeing our CA plates) said "I'm originally from California", and we had a good chat. However, he also mentioned that there was some local hostility to "Californians coming here and being able to afford houses".

I don't recall experiencing anything but friendliness on that trip and on subsequent visits to Oregon. But, the comment somehow stuck with me.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:37:13 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
When I was living in California twenty some years ago I thought about moving to Oregon. I drove up there and quickly figured out I would be completely shunned if I did. The locals reaction was amazingly bad. They hated Californians moving up there.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 06:56:01 PM »
We haven't experienced any 'hatred'. OTOH we sense a little local 'sentiment' when we visit kids and grandkids, while staying at our (small) place in the MidWest.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

WildPlum

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »
It is pretty common in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, parts of Nevada (not Vegas) and parts of Arizona to hear grumbling about Californians. Most of those states (through about the mid-90s) had reasonable real estate prices (relative to income) that were rising slowly but not unsustainably. The California real estate boom pretty much lifted prices everywhere and then there were a lot of stories about "equity refugee" Californians coming in and buying houses in cash, driving the prices up even more.

In general, the anti-California sentiment does not actually apply to people who are just passing through or to people who buy a house, move in, change their plates over to local, become part of the neighborhood. The trash talk is for the "them" that we Americans seem so fond of - some nonspecific group of people responsible for all that is bad.

Given the fact that Oregon's population just about doubled between 1980 and 2015 (and particularly given that some of those years saw more out-migration as our economy cratered worse than the states around us) and that our birth rate is barely above replacement, it means we are a state with a lot of people from somewhere else. And given that our neighbor state to the south of us has almost 40 million people to our 3.8 million people, a lot of our new residents came from California - from our point of view.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 09:55:09 PM »
I used to wire houses in Ventura California and to put in a tract of house they would tear down a lemon orchard and put in a tract of houses. Many of the people who moved in expressed disgust to me about the fact that they were tearing down the lemon orchards next door to put up more houses. They had their house and now they wanted to prevent others from buying in the same neighborhood. We are all immigrants. I don't know why people think that just because they moved there that no one else should be able to move there.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

WildPlum

• ---
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 10:07:50 PM »
A lot of people complain about Oregon's fairly strict urban growth boundaries, which were enacted to protect large farms from being subdivided and paved over, saying that it drives up housing prices. Which it does, to some extent, by keeping the cost of land fairly high and by keeping large farms from being subdivided into 2-5 acre ranchettes or massive housing subdivisions.

It is also the reason that, with the exception of Portland, anywhere on the west side of the Cascades you can go from city to farmland or forest land very quickly, without driving through miles of houses first. On the other hand, this IS one of the things driving up housing prices, particularly in cities, the supply of houses (particularly affordable houses or apartments) is quite low.

A lot of people from other places expect come here and be able to buy a couple acres back in the hills and build whatever they want and are surprised to find that zoning, water and septic/sewer rules are very strict, even out in the boonies.

And I even have RV content - the days when you could buy a small lot in the mountains and just park an RV on it are pretty much gone. It is all about zoning and sewer/septic, about protecting watersheds, streams and rivers.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »
If anyone is thinking of settling down in Oregon or using it as a home base, now would be the time to investigate the possibility.  Timber Valley, an Escapee park, in Sutherlin, OR has a waiting list which currently has 127 names on it and is growing steadily.  At this number it would normally take about 3 years or so to reach the top.  Nine years ago, before the economy tanked for awhile, we were 274 on the list and it took us six years and two months to get our lot.

Helaine Hepworth has done a great job of putting together the website which provides tons of information about the park and its activities.  www.timbervalleyskp.com

We've been to Timber Valley twice.  I love it.  The DW, not so much.  At age 73, the long waiting list pretty much makes signing up pointless.  But as far as states go, Oregon is one of my favorites.  Tax wise, best I can determine, it would cost us more.  Even with the high taxes in California, my net cost would increase.  California has one of or possibly the highest rate at the upper income.  Oregon's rate, while not as high, bumps up pretty high almost immediately.  My State tax would increase significantly, offsetting any likely savings on sales and property taxes.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

donn

• ---
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »
Politics aside, Oregon is a great place to visit.  There is so much to see and do outdoors.  The real problem is so many people wanted to excape the crime, drugs and gang violence that they forgot that by moving north and bringing their kids they just brought the problems with them.  Born and raised in Portland I saw it first hand.  When I was growing up we could play outside well after dark. Went to work and school and never locked the door.  When people (Kalifornians) started coming north the crime rate sored. Traffic became a problem and if you did not lock up, well you get the idea!
Not saying that the liberal politics has not played a major hand in the problems, but.  Rural Oregon has not been exempted either.  Bend at one time was a great place to live.  Then a developer got ahold of some property and volla SunRiver!  Driving thru Bend today is a nightmare akin to Seattle.  3rd street which used to be the 97 bypass is now so crowded it usually takes 30 minutes to go thru town.  The (NEW) bypass is not much better.  Traffic on it is always heavy and everybody ignores the 45 speed limit.  Tourist business is booming, but at what price?  The sleepy little towns of rural Oregon are slowly either dying or being over run by people wanting their own slice of "the good life".  Governor Tom McCall had it right when he said " come spend your money, but dont stay".

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
Politics aside, Oregon is a great place to visit.
  But your post is pretty political. 

The real problem is so many people wanted to excape the crime, drugs and gang violence that they forgot that by moving north and bringing their kids they just brought the problems with them.
   Sounds like your saying the parents didn't realize it was their kids that were the problem.   

Born and raised in Portland I saw it first hand.  When I was growing up we could play outside well after dark. Went to work and school and never locked the door.
  I was born and raised in St. Paul, MN.  That was my experience as well.  But when I visit today and drive by the old neighborhood, I see the same things you're talking about.  But I doubt they're coming from Kalifornia.  Because it's happening all over the country and I don't think it's happening because people are moving from Kalifornia. 

When people (Kalifornians) started coming north the crime rate sored.
  Because when Mexico sends it's people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems ... they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime. They're rapists.  And some, I assume, are good people."    Why don't you just insert Kalifornians in place of Mexico?

Not saying that the liberal politics has not played a major hand in the problems, 
Remove the double negative.  It sounds to me like that's exactly what you're saying. 

The sleepy little towns of rural Oregon are slowly either dying or being over run by people wanting their own slice of "the good life".
Are you really an RVer.  Because if you've traveled around the country much, you'd realize what a lame statement you just made.  Because donn, it's happening all over the country.  Because people do want a better life.  Because when you mix a bunch of struggling young people with those that own homes and drive nice cars, they begin to feel disenfranchised.  They sense something is wrong.  They feel they have  no future and no ticket to ride.  When I was growing up, I had a ticket to ride.  I suspect you did as well.  Yes, we have problems in our "Great" country.  We have problems because many young people no longer have a ticket to ride. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »
OK people, let's put a lid on the political discussion and get back to the RV aspects of using Oregon as a home base.

cpaulsen

• ---
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 06:02:03 AM »
I have Oregon as a home base and have no problems at all.
2008 Ford F250/CC/SB/V-10/2018 Montana 330RL

Hosted by Over The Network