OCCC ratings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgeffs

I've noticed that most MH specs don't include this rating in the online spec sheets. Perhaps this is understandable since it can easily change with installed options. However this is a critical issue if one plans to drag around a lot of stuff. Is this spec available online from Winnie for different floor plans? I'm currently looking at a new or recent Vista LX 35F because we like the floor plan but without knowing what it can carry I don't even know if it's worth consideration. I am a first time buyer so I'm pretty new to this.

You can call Owner Relations and ask those questions - they might have a generic OCCC for comparison.  When we ordered our Horizon from Lazydays, I had a contract proviso that I would not accept delivery without looking at and approving a weight slip from truck scales.

OCCC has a very specific and legal meaning, so they rarely quote it as a generic number for a floor plan. Federal rules require that OCCC be accurate to within 100 lbs on each specific vehicle, and that simply cannot be done without weighing each actual RV.

What is typically quoted is GVWR and dry, shipping, or empty weight. The difference between those two will approximate the OCCC, subject to options and changes in manufacturing.

Or contact an RV dealer that actually has a model you are interested in and ask them to give you the OCCC from that particular one. Others with the same floor plan will be similar, probably within a few hundred lbs.

Hi Gary,

Gary RV Roamer said:
What is typically quoted is GVWR and dry, shipping, or empty weight. The difference between those two will approximate the OCCC, subject to options and changes in manufacturing.

We haven't looked at many motorhomes as we're planning on a 5thWheel, but for the ones we've looked at, we could never find the "dry weight" number.

A few examples:
Chateau Super Cs: https://thormotorcoach.com/chateau-super-c/specs/
Leprechaun "plain" Class Cs: http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=51
Jayco Alante Class As: http://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2016-alante/26x/

We've never understood that omission, specially because that same information can usually be found very easily for 5thWheels. So, it's a "regulation" thing?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

What can I tell you? Some companies do a good job with their published specs, and others do not. Some reasons why marketing types may leave stuff like that out include:

1) Lot's of variation in weights even within one floor plan, i.e. the base dry weight may be substantially less than the typical one (options so popular that every rig has them, or some combo of them)

2) They are embarrassed by the number and want to avoid it

3) It's not an easy number to get early on, when brochures are printed and web pages designed. Even sites that have a slot for it may say TBA or NA. Then they forget to go back and fill it in.

I've searched for the weight statement in different brands when we come across a little RV show and sometimes they are nowhere to be found.  The OCCC (or CCC) numbers are really important, especially for a larger unit with lots of bay storage.

Our CCC was around 3K pounds with the new coach which was good but not great for fulltiming in our 40 footer. When we stopped fulltiming I reweighed the coach and found that I removed 500 pounds of stuff.

A few years ago one of the motorhome magazines featured a tricked out Bluebird Wanderlodge with a CCC of only a couple of hundred pounds (or thereabouts.) That unit was a complete design dud and really dangerous when you think about the situation.

I emailed Winnebago and got the following strange response.

"Minimum CCC for this model is 4000 pounds."

Seems I have to find a bunch of stuff to haul before I can even drive this thing.  :)

Hi dgeffs,

dgeffs said:
I emailed Winnebago and got the following strange response.
"Minimum CCC for this model is 4000 pounds."
Seems I have to find a bunch of stuff to haul before I can even drive this thing.  :)

From what I've learned so far, 4000lb is a respectable amount of CCC. We ourselves are looking for 3000+ based on various recommendations...

But I don't think 4000lb is "too much" if you are going to full-time, and specially if you plan on boondocking (ie, dry camping) a lot; see for example this article (aimed at 5th Wheels, but I think most of it will apply to motorhomes too): http://roadslesstraveled.us/choosing-trailer-full-time-rving-cargo-carrying-capacity/ . They say their current RV has 3,439lb of CCC, but they are actually using 3,894lb, and if they were looking for a new trailer, they "would be looking for a Cargo Carrying Capacity of at least 5,000 lbs" (!).

But seriously, 4,000 will probably serve you well.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

VallAndMo said:
.....But seriously, 4,000 will probably serve you well.
Exactly.

4K pounds OCCC would be a great number for fulltiming or extended use. However you have to balance stuff vs. MPG - we are very close to our 32,000 pound chassis limit plus we tow the Jeep on a trailer. Our fuel economy is usually around 7.3 MPG ant it costs usually about $0.50 a mile in fuel.  It adds up if you put 10,000 miles on a rig in a year.

But the response was minimum CCC. I assume that was a typo. I'd be thrilled with 3000.

As I said I'm very new to this stuff and trust your knowledge implicitly. Clearly I'm missing something here. I just assumed that capacity refers to the amount of weight the MH can carry in passengers and cargo/supplies. Why that would ever be a minimum amount is confusing. I'm looking for the maximum amount of weight I can carry. Please tell me where my logic is incorrect so I can make a more informed decision.

Howdy dgeffs,

dgeffs said:
As I said I'm very new to this stuff and trust your knowledge implicitly. Clearly I'm missing something here. I just assumed that capacity refers to the amount of weight the MH can carry in passengers and cargo/supplies.

That's the way I think it is, yes.

dgeffs said:
Why that would ever be a minimum amount is confusing. I'm looking for the maximum amount of weight I can carry.

Well, I'm not an expert in any sense of the world, but the way I interpret this "minimum amount" is as a *guarantee* from the manufacturer that even the most  fully "loaded" (ie, containing all available options) motorhome of this model will have *at* *least* this minimum cargo capacity.

What else could it mean?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

And remember OCCC (used for almost 10 years now) is not the same as CCC. On my 2004 motorhome, which used CCC, the OCCC would be 1250 pounds more.

I think the RVIA (industry association) got together and created OCCC to "inflate" the weight capacity as compared to CCC. I do believe CCC is a more real-world and useful number than OCCC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom