Inconsistent Photo Opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

I am running FireFox 2.0.0.2 on both my laptop and desktop, with TabMix Plus and Status Bar Manager among my Add-Ons. When a Forum message is posted with pictures linked, the two computers treat clicking on the link differently; the laptop opens the picture in the message, the desktop D/L Manager asks what I want to do with the file and opens it in a new window when I click open. I've gone thru the options on both machines and, to the best that I can determine, they are the same. Anyone have any idea why they function differently in this activity?

I  am using Firefox 2.0.0.2 and have about stopped opening photos.  Going through the D/L Manager each and every time is just too cumbersome. 

With FF 2.0.0.2, I now get the previous Open|Save dialog.  I press Enter (or click OK) and the images open in the associated viewer.  The DL manager is set to close immediately after retrieving the file and passing it to the viewer.  I do use the Download Manager Tweak extension to control the DL manager behavior.

Ned, something doesn't sound right with either Bernie or Jim's situation since they're both using FF 2.0.2. Is it possible that something didn't update correctly when they went to FF 2.0.2?

I recall that when I updated to FF 2.0.1, I still had the download dialog from the prior version and, as a result, didn't initially understand what folks were complaining about. Could it be that Bernie & Jim still have the FF 2.0.1 dialog?

In any event, FF 2.0.2 should (does) have the fix for the bug. (For folks reading along, it was a Firefox browser bug, not a forum software bug).

It's possible that the DLM Tweak extension I'm using has altered the behavior here, but others aren't mentioning the problem and probably don't use that extension.  If anyone updated from FF 1.5 to 2.0, it was recommended to uninstall 1.5 first, then do a clean install of 2.0 to avoid any mixing of versions.  Your profile would be retained even through an uninstall and reinstall.  It's also possible that a file in the profile is corrupted.  The normal test for unusual behavior in FF is to create a new profile and see if the behavior is the same.  If not, then you look to the extensions and files in the original profile for the problem.

Don't know if this is related. I use IE and am getting a similar result. It's confusing, but I can live with it.

This is most noticeable when I am reading a thread where one post has multiple photos. Some will open in a new window, after a box asks me if I want to open or save. I get back to the post by closing the window. Others in the same post will open a page and I can see the picture, there. I get back to the post using the "back" button.

The confusion comes when the pictures opens on a new page and I go to close the viewer, I exit IE, instead. Have to start over!  :-\

I repeat that this confusion can and does happen while viewing pictures in a single post.

Way back when, the second of those is how all of my pictures opened.

Have fun.

Ray D  ;D

My Firefox works like Ned's - I get the Save or Open dialog and no visible Download Manager window (though I know it ran in the background to retrieve the photo). And I do NOT use the Download Manager Tweak that Ned has. I also have FF 2.0.0.2

My photos open in the viewer's own application window (I use Irfanview for photos).

What Gary, Ned and I are seeing is the "normal" operation, although we each (by choice) have a slightly different version of it. In my case, I chose to NOT check the box asking if I want FF to behave the same way on future downloads. So I see the dialog every time and click the option to open rather than save.

FWIW a prior update of the forum software introduced a security feature to prevent folks unwittingly opening a nasty attachment uploaded by an undesirable. The new feature exposed a "known" bug in version 2.0.1 of the Firefox browser that got fixed in version 2.0.2.

Ray, behavior in IE might well be different and really has little bearing on how Firefox behaves. But I can't understand why some photos would behave one way and others a different way, whether they be attachments to the same message or different messages. The script and resulting html for downloading an attachment is the same, but somehow isn't being translated to/by your browser consistently. I'm not a user of IE, so I'll need to defer to one of the IE experts.

My laptop photo display works just like FF1.0.1 did. To the best of my knowledge, both copies of FF 2.0.0.2 are identical and have the same settings. I guess my DT retrieves photos the way Ned's and Gary's do, but not as nicely as before. With the LT, I just click on the photo link and the photo comes up on the screen. On the DT, I click on the link and the Download Manager comes up with a request for save or open. I then click on open and have to click on the D/LM to close it, then the picture. A lot more keystrokes and I hate keystrokes (Hey Ned, that reminds me, we still need a shortened and simplified backup for RS :D).

Tom said:
What Gary, Ned and I are seeing is the "normal" operation, although we each (by choice) have a slightly different version of it. In my case, I chose to NOT check the box asking if I want FF to behave the same way on future downloads. So I see the dialog every time and click the option to open rather than save.

Tom

My dialog box has the "always do the same" box grayed out, I can't select it if I wanted to.

Tom:

I also upgraded to 2.2 and the "always" option for me is also grayed out.

Bernie et al,

Apologies, but I'm really busy today, so this is not getting my full attention and my responses may appear a little curt. I'm just popping in here during rest breaks and scanning stuff. Also, since I'm MSIE phobic, I'm not much help with their browser.

BTW just noticed that box is grayed out for me also. Shows I wasn't paying attention  ;D

I recall reading some messages on the MozDev news groups about that being by design.  There may be a setting in about:config to modify that behavior, but I don't know what it might be.

Tom said:
.... But I can't understand why some photos would behave one way and others a different way, whether they be attachments to the same message or different messages. The script and resulting html for downloading an attachment is the same, but somehow isn't being translated to/by your browser consistently. I'm not a user of IE, so I'll need to defer to one of the IE experts.
Make sure you folks are not talking about two different things...
I use IE7.  When the photo is attached to the forum posting, such as those in Jeff Cousin's Mexican Adventure, I get an Open/Save popup dialog.  If I hit Open, it opens in my jpg viewer, MS Picture & Fax Viewer.  If, however, the photo is a link, such as the Screech Owl in the photo forum, then the photo opens directly in IE7 without any popup dialog. 

Kodiak,

Thanks for that observation and description of IE behavior. I do understand the difference  ;)  but it's not obvious if that's true for everyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom