Fulltimers: What Did You Take From Your Sticks & Bricks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

We are in the process of going full time (9-12 months).  In the mean time besides looking at various 5th wheels and taking care of other essential details, we are in the process of downsizing by selling, donating and giving items away but have a ways to go.  So I am curious to ask those who are full timing, other than essential items for living, tools & camping equipment, what items did you feel you need to take?  As we are also trying to wrap our head around and visualizing how we will make use of the basement storage, so I am curious how others are utilizing that space.  We were discussing this because when we first started looking at 5th wheels two floor plans we really liked were a front living and front kitchen but discounted them because they have a significant reduction in basement storage.  But then we recently looked at a couple units that have a front living floor plan but in addition to the reduce front basement storage, also had two fairly good sized rear pass through storage units, so this seems more doable.  Thank you.

I took virtually nothing. Then when I needed something I would buy it. No reason loading up the RV with things that only add weight and no value.

Howdy Bruce!  Obviously, everyone is different - I doubt there are any right and wrong ways to accomplish this.  I basically prioritized my junk - but probably differently than most.  My bicycles, kayak, fishing gear, and photographic equipment were all at the top.  Tools was a very tough task.  Some memorabilia was also tough.  I then attempted to load all that I wanted to keep in the coach.  When it would not all fit, I went thru the stack again, a couple times.  I now go thru my junk once per year - pull nearly everything out and go thru every box.  It is amazing how much stuff is given away each time.  After two years, I actually have some space available in my basement!!  ;D

I kinda cheated, I lived out of a pickup for years due to my job (trucker) and having next to nothing from home so everything i owned fit into 2 medium uhaul boxes....

Assorted containers and storage baskets etc.

RV's go through cargo shifting. If your storage areas are sorted out in other containers, it makes it super easy to find things and to somewhat prevent cargo shifting.

If you use your tools often you have to thin them down. Get rid of the extras. If you have two circular saws, one big and one small, keep the small, dump the big. Both do the same job but one weighs more. The weight of tools adds up quickly, even with small hand tools.

It takes a lot of purging repeatedly. Once you do it, do it again and again. You'll do it now and especially when you are trying to fit what you want to keep in your rig. Weight and the distribution of it will be important.

I probably have 50 pounds of weight in hardware(bolts, screws, nuts, washers, etc.) that I can't force myself to get rid of. I have a bunch of RV repair parts that even though I don't need them right now I know it will come in very handy down the road.

If you have big things that you have to keep but they won't fit in the RV you can arrange to have a family member or good friend keep it for you. In buying storage tubs to use try to find ones with the squarest sides. Ones that are curved in towards the bottom lose usable storage space. Use clear containers so you can easily see what is inside without having to open them.

Thank you all for your helpful replies.  We will probably wind up somewhere between Seiler Bird & JFNM as we are trying to purge ourselves of all but the essentials to live, survive & some personal interest things.  To JFNM's comments I apparently have the some of the same valued extras and also since I am a professional photographer, the associated equipment has to be on the top of my list of retaining, although I have sold off my studio lighting and equipment.  To Frankedj comments regarding tools, makes a lot of sense and I have already sold off many of my tools that I have not used in ages and/or see no need for living in a 5th wheel.  Essentially all I have are those tools I deem necessary for basic maintenance and some more robust repair tasks.  It was hard to do as I have always been attached to my tools. 

I hate plastic boxes. That is where stuff goes to die. Everything I have is in wire shelving slide baskets. Easy pull out and easy to see what is inside. I like my tools too, but only take really usable stuff. Battery powered stuff includes a drill and impact driver, leaf blower, and cut off tool. I also have a corded jig saw for multiple cutting jobs. All of the battery stuff is by Rigid with lifetime guarantee replacement.

Hand tool are the usual stuff, and a socket set in a carry case. Add some various fluids and vehicle cleaning stuff and that rounds out the storage bay stuff. Your choices will vary by your skill set and ambition.  And yes, there is always a review and renew process. 

We just did the same thing. Off topic, but we had an estate sale which netted the cost of everything that went into the RV.

Anyway, we broke the trailer down into parts & systems. Like what would it take to repair a plumbing issue, an electrical issue,  etc.  We organized those system repair items into canvas tool bags to grab and go.  No one wants to be digging through tools for a certain wrench when a pipe leaks.  We added a slide out to our basement so when you pull it out, the bags are lined up.  We also have room for a 1 gallon air compressor, smoker, grill & the chairs just by being organized.  We are both engineers so organization is our thing.  Packed right, we have a bin with entertainment items like fishing gear, ditch oven cooking,  biking,  hiking,  etc.)  We cheat just a little with a storage room for our hunting gear & UTV.  We built a cheap little closet in it for hunting clothes.

Not too long ago, we went through a downsizing exercise for my FIL, who was moving into and assisted living facility.  My SIL mentioned a book she had read, so I went and got it....
https://konmari.com/books/
the one about Tidying....

It's a basic concept, but parts of it are hard to swallow at first.... and I'll suggest that the book could have been half as long and still gotten the message across, but still it was an easy read.  I wish i could say that I've gone through the whole exercise, but sadly I have not.

Regardless, I think it would be handy food-for-thought for anyone asking this question...

Brad, thank you for the link, looks like a worthy read.  Also thank you LMTurner74 for good suggestions, sounds like very good organization and the slide out basement storage unit is something we have been considering.

Just started fulltiming in September. That is, we live in our camper and no travel until I retire in a few years. We still have boxes of things that I don't even know what they are. We have a lot of thinning to do but we have plenty of time to do it. I have a storage unit full of stuff to whittle down. I gave away a ton of tools to family members and sold some as well.

We're replacing some things in our RV even though they are brand new. We'll be swapping out our couches and theater seats for the better ones we have in storage as we find the time. We already swapped out the mattress. It's so much thicker than the junk that came with it that my wife needs a step to get in bed. :) She don't mind and is very happy we didn't get rid of it.

But I need my floor drill press, bench grinder, vice, skill saw, saber saw, belt sander, palm sander, router, battery operated drill with many styles of bits, battery charger, table saw, etc.. I did get rid of my radial arm saw. So that's a start I guess.

Yeah I had most of that stuff as well. I just decided to give it all up. I'm pretty good with hand tools.?

When we purchased our coach - we intentionally set aside a budget to outfit it as if it were a house unto itself.  This was in part because we didn't want to deal with trying to keep track of where stuff was.  It was also in large part because it gave my DW the opportunity to "put her stamp" on the coach in terms of beddings and linens, how the kitchen is outfitted, etc.  It was something she needed in order for her to feel at home in the coach.

Now that it's pretty much completely outfitted - aside from personal electronics (i.e., laptops, iPads, cell phones, etc.) and clothing - there's nothing that moves back and forth between our stick and brick home and the coach.  That said - as we get closer and closer to full timing - the only things we're targeting to take from the S&B house are momentos (pictures, things with sentimental value, etc.)  There's virtually nothing practical such as tools, yard / patio stuff, kitchen, bedroom or bath stuff from the S&B that we intend to take.  The coach is fully outfitted - and with stuff that's newer and in better shape than the stuff in the S&B. 

I have been fulltiming 24/7 for 7 years with no other home anywhere.

Since I moved from overseas, I sold and gave away everything, then flew to USA, bought a used RV for cash to see if I liked this lifestyle. I moved in with  just clothes and a token few small sentimental items that would fill a tiny box, plus I had my ancient laptop.

I bought my RV used and the former owners upon hearing I had only clothes to move into the rig with, they left behind their dishes, sheets and towels, so I had their stuff to jump start me on my journey. Oddly, they left me with no TV in the RV, but that's OK, I was so busy, I didn't bother to buy a TV until 2 or 3 years later.

My 28 foot Class C, RV has no slides and 14 mostly big windows, plus a teeny tiny basement, so I don't have much storage at all, but 7 years later, I am still rolling around, no car, but I added a bicycle and a cargo carrier on the rear with a storage bin.

I seriously missed my tool box, I sold all my tools overseas, but amazingly I now have a big stash of hand tools as every repair seems to require the purchase of one more tool.

I thought I would upgrade from the old used RV if I liked the lifestyle to something bigger and newer, but 7 years later... I am still enjoying this one. I've repaired and upgraded things to my liking. Since half my parts are "new" I have the hybrid model now. LOL! Half used, half new, nothing financed.

I doubt if resale or trade-in would bring much at this point,  but everything works and is fairly well maintained. I'm very comfy and cozy. Taxes and insurance are cheap. I like the layout, I love the big windows, I know every square inch of the rig.

Over the years I have subtly changed the decor here and there with a few more plans in the works. I guess that keeps me from being bored with the same old tiny rig.

Life is goof!

I'm a long way away from ever full timing, likely never will.....
But I have caught myself several times considering things from the perspective of need....and would it fit in an RV?

as an example, I have been intending to make myself a better work bench/table in my garage for years.  Never seem to get around to it.  The other day I ran across a table that could work as a basis for one.... but then I thought, "do i really need it?  I'll probably only use it occasionally, then I'd have to get rid of it eventually"

We are just starting this process, bought the fifth wheel today after several weeks of searching and planning. Now the hard part of going through and deciding what we can bring and what we can't! Our plan is to be very minimal. We are giving a year limit on a storage unit as we will be stationary for the first year while I work and get the trailer paid off before we go on the road. What we haven't decided that we had to have from the storage unit is gone to goodwill. Everything else is going to be sold or given away in the next few weeks. The house will be rented out, depending on the headache of that, we will either continue to rent it out or put it on the market. The hardest part for me is the waiting for the stationary year to be done!

Back
Top Bottom