how long do you keep the first RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plaprv

I am just curious to see how long people keep their first RV.
I am looking at buying my first one, and I wonder how far down the road I should look for, like my kids growth and things like that...
Is trading in a financial burden or keeping a RV for let say 2 years and maintaining it properly will limit the value decrease, which would make the first pick not as critical?

thanks folks

-- Pascal

We put 66,000 miles on our first one and traded it in after 4 years. Our current coach is 5 years old with almost 70,000 miles. Have no plans to replace it.

plaprv said:
I am just curious to see how long people keep their first RV.
I am looking at buying my first one, and I wonder how far down the road I should look for, like my kids growth and things like that...
Is trading in a financial burden or keeping a RV for let say 2 years and maintaining it properly will limit the value decrease, which would make the first pick not as critical?

thanks folks

-- Pascal

12 years so far.

RVs are like automobiles.  Buy the thing and drive it off the dealer's lot and you have lost 20% of the value of the thing immediately.  Thereafter you lose 20% of the value of it every year you own it.  Poor maintenance can accelerate the loss but not retard it. 

If floor plan changes loom in your future with kids, toys, and type of touring (eg retirement or full timing) then seriously consider buying used at first to avoid those expensive early 20% losses.   

We kept our first motorhome 15 years, although I refused to sell or trade it after that time; I insisted on an 'as-is' trade-in deal with itemized issues and took only $1 from the dealer to make it legal with the DMV. I wasn't about to pass on a problem to the next guy, but I'm sure the wholesaler prettied it up a little and took someone for a ride.

Hi Pascal,

How long one keeps an RV seems to depend on a lot of things.  I suppose whether you can afford to change is a high first priority.  Like a car, a new coach depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot.  If you can afford to upgrade early you might do it, but you won't if you can't afford it.

Second is probably how well you like your first RV.  I've met folks who see one they think they like, buy it, and trade it in within a few months because it doesn't suit their needs.  In fact we met one couple who attended an RV show, fell in love with one top-of-the-line motorhome, a couple of months later went to a factory-sponsored rally, fell in love with another model of the same line, and bought it.  At the very next rally a few months later the same thing happened, so they bought three top-of-the line motorhomes in less than one year.  Is this normal?  Definitely not!  Maybe they had more money than common sense because they took huge losses on every trade-in.  On the other hand, when we bought our first one way back in 1972 we didn't have much money to spare so after attending numerous RV shows bought one at the low end (also called entry level) that we BOTH really liked and was of decent quality.  We had that one for maybe four or five years.  We then upgraded and had that one quite a while, upgraded twice again, and after a few years got our current coach.  This is five motorhomes over a period of 35 years that included quite a few years when we were still working.  In fact, the first four were all bought while we were still working.  With each one we had a better "feel" for what we like and dislike.  With the last one we had a lot of changes made by the manufacturer (some make changes and some don't) and now have the features that are most important to each of us and what we both really like.  With every RV (whether motorhome or trailer) you have to make tradeoffs and compromises, but if you take your time you probably will want to keep what you have for a while because you like your choice.  That said, the first RV is probably not the last because you can't possibly know with the first one what will work best for you and your family.

A third issue is that what suits you while you're still working may not work after you retire and have more time to travel for extended periods.  Many of our Forumites initially bought at the low end and eventually moved up to a higher end coach because they decided to full-time or do extended-time travel after retiring.  The coach they had when they retired didn't suit their new lifestyle so they upgraded to one that was more suitable for living in every day.  So part of the answer lies in what phase of life you're in currently.  If you have a young family with children you probably won't want what a retiree wants because our needs usually are different.  An example is how many an RV can sleep.  Retirees may travel as a couple whereas a family of five needs more beds.  Another example is that full- or extended-timers need to have drawers for their paperwork because they still have to pay taxes, bills, and the like.  People who are working and taking short vacations don't need to bother with all that paperwork while traveling so can use the space in a way that suits their needs better.

I'm sure others will be adding to this, but I think most of the Forumites will agree they don't change RVs very frequently.

ArdraF

Pascal, you have some interesting feedback already and I am somewhat typical also.

My first one was, a 34ft Fleetwood and put 65000 miles on it over 9 years. Most agreed that 65000 miles was pushing the life of the engine and transmission and my wife needed a better ride quality due to health so we upgraded. But recently I ran onto a guy who had the same unit made within a couple of serial numbers and he had over 15 years with 145000 miles. This included three trips to Alaska!

We upgraded to a 38 ft. diesel with one slide as that was about all there was in 1999. I have 45000 and no real plans to change now as the life expectancy of of a diesel engine and chassis is very long.

My thought if I keep RVing, now would be to have it refurbished on outside. We have some members in our Newmar Club who have done this. All new paint, new windows, and new lights. Also you can select at paint scheme like the current year model!!!!!! They have put in 7 to 10 thousand in these first rate exterior refurbishmen ts. I would not see any need to refurbish the inside for now as its in good condition but might go for new flat screen TV. But many also redo the interior after a few years.

I say all this to show you refurbishing  is a very viable alternative getting a new one. RVs loose value fast and there is not a good market for ones 10 years old. Probably not going to get wholesale bluebook even if its in perfect condition.

Bob

My first RV was a pickup truck cabover camper and I bought it USED and used it for about 2 years until my 4 sons got too big for it.  I sold it for not much less than I paid for it and bought a USED 29 foot Allegro motorhome.  I kept it about 4 years until most of my sons lost interest in traveling with us (couldn't take girlfriends with us, too busy with football, etc.).  I also sold it for almost as much as I paid for it.  I just bought another USED Allegro motorhome for just my wife and I to use until we retire, at which time I plan to sell it and buy a USED diesel pusher to full time in.  I don't expect to loose a lot of money on this one either since I bought it cheep and it only had 7,000 miles on it.  How long you keep your first RV is not as important as finding one you can live with and enjoy.  But, IMHO,  buying USED and letting someone else suffer the huge depreciation on an RV while you make sure it is what you want is the way to go.  It has been for me.

Dan

Thanks for all these feedbacks which are really informative.
My 3 kids are 2 and under (tiwn boys 2 years old and a 5 month old little princess). I am into dirtbikes (track and trail) and outdoors, and looking on how it goes, I am sure my boys will be too! Darn, they love the smell of 2 stroke more than I do  :)
They won't be riding anything really for 3 or 4 years, so I think I won't make my choice based on that right now and will look for a used average sized class A or class C that can sleep 4 comfortably. I don't mind some TLC as I can be handy if I want, and when/if they are into riding, then we'll see what we want to do...

I will go to some dealers this week-end and there is a big show in Denver in April where I will get glance at what is out there. I sure won't buy new for my first rig... I don't buy new for my cars either, I usually pick 1/2 years old low mileage so the depreciation is not as bad.

Thanks again

I purchased a Class B (Great West Van) new in 2002 and sold it in 2005 for about half what I paid for it.  I had bought it when I was single, but I discovered that it was too small for me and my wife.  We were without an RV until December of last year when we bought a brand new Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N which we love.  Although many buy used, I have a preference for new, which undoubtably has cost me some money over the years.  I don't *always* buy new.  In 1996 I purchased a Chrysler LeBaron Convertible that was a year old, and we still have it.  Also, we're thinking of buying a used Chevy Cobalt to use as a toad.  And my wife has been married before.  I'm very satisfied with both my new purchases and the acquistion of items which have been used, gently.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom