Levelers (manual)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan de La Mesa

The interlocking, plastic leveling squares of which I bought a ten-pack last year have not held up well, and I'm looking at other options.

The red Andersen device (below) is intriguing, but I don't see what justifies the price. Does anyone have any experience with these? Also, I can't quite image what the second, smaller wedge is used for. . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3604-Andersen-3604-Camper-Leveler/dp/B001GC2LVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476786221&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+levelers

Additionally, I wanted to ask if anyone else decides whether or not to back into a spot according to what the leveling demands will be.  I pull in forward or back in based on which will allow me to raise one or both of the front wheels only, (which are much easier because there are only two wheels, as opposed to four in the heavier rear, of course). I have plenty of cable and water hose to reach either way, though the sewer connection, when present, can be another matter.

I miss the automatic levelers that were on the larger MH we used to have, but leveling a 24-ft coach manually hasn't been nearly the hassle I was anticipating. Actually, it's something of an entertaining challenge.

Thanks, as ever,

Dan

2006 Winnebago View

According to the description these are made for trailers. You say you have a 24' coach.Personally I would just get a half dozen 2x8's of varying lengths and use those under your wheels

This video shows how the second, short wedge is used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JQV15VzBc

It is basically a chock used to keep the longer tapered one from rocking once the RV is on it.

Here's one discussion that mentions them-

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,99478.0.html

Thanks for the responses.  I checked out the demo video and looked up the previous discussion, both very helpful.

I do have a stack of six 2x10's that I use when both back sets of wheels have to be lifted, and I plan to keep them. The interlocking squares that haven't warped beyond use I'll also keep. One problem I have with both the interlocking squares and my own wood pieces is that they can sometimes travel when I'm climbing onto them, making a redistribution and retry necessary.

Meanwhile, based on a good number of RV Forum endorsements, I'll try two sets of the Andersens, although I agree that they look narrow and I can also see that they might not work so well on soft ground.

I'll be back with an unsolicited opinion later on!

Err, no one commented on my backing in or pulling in forward according to ease of leveling.  Maybe that was just too, too dumb to contemplate?

Err, no one commented on my backing in or pulling in forward according to ease of leveling.  Maybe that was just too, too dumb to contemplate?
[/quote]

The only problem I see , other than connections is your neighbors won't appreciate the lack of privacy with your "front door step" facing theirs. I learned that the hard way

rockin rockwood said:

The only problem I see , other than connections is your neighbors won't appreciate the lack of privacy with your "front door step" facing theirs. I learned that the hard way

What Dan said. :) We've sometimes pulled in "the wrong way" if camping with friends and we want to create some private space between us but otherwise it just creates difficulty hooking up.

rockin rockwood said:
Err, no one commented on my backing in or pulling in forward according to ease of leveling. 

For me, that plays into picking a site almost as much as the site's location, and I have levelers !
I usually approach parking almost as a science, factor in sun a wind direction, after leveling how high will the entrance door be, is there a tree that going to drop things on the roof right over my bed all night if the wind blows, how about critters, smoke from camp fires ......................... it goes on and on !

But once I get settled in, I feel like the dog that circled 6 times before laying down in a spot.

So no, your question is not with merit. At least in my twisted mind !

A good while back I asked about Andersen levelers and received the usual excellent RV Forum advice. I did buy a pair and have used them for several months now.

In some situations they were perfect. In others, where the concrete or grass was slippery, the levelers would shoot out from under the wheels as I tried to climb up on them. I bought some friction material with adhesive backing, intended, I think, for wet steps, and covered both sides of the levelers.

Now, I'm very pleased with the Andersens and heartily recommend them, despite the price and the fact that the manufacturer should have constructed them with their own friction.

I've found the rubber patio pavers for $3 to $4 each at home improvement stores fill the bill nicely without breaking the bank.  I've also used them stacked up at the door when the first step is just a bit too far of a reach.  Can stack one or 2 or 3 under whatever wheel needs it to be level.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/landscaping-materials/patio-blocks/16-reversible-rubber-paver/p-1444436033321.htm

I have the Andersen, they are nice but not very wide.  They barely have enough surface for the tire treads. I use them for overnights but not for long stays.  I am not comfortable with the width.  If they would have made them 1 inch wider, they would be so much better.

Back
Top Bottom