New workamper seeking insurance advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoundyBoy

Hello workampers! I'm a jewelry artist/silversmith and just purchased a 2003 Fleetwood Tioga 24D that's been converted into live/work space for my studio...Very excited!

I thought it would be easy to add the RV to my car insurance policy at Progressive, but they told me they do not insure RVs that are used for work purposes. Any recommendations? I am open to changing my auto policy so I can insure both vehicles through the same insurance provider, but also open to using a separate provider for the RV, just not sure what my options are and what makes more sense.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions, looking forward to reading all about workamping here :)

Confused here too because I previously insured my 5th wheel LQ horse trailer with Progressive, and that was used exclusively for work. Sigh. No idea why it's a different deal for a motorized coach?

I have to assume your going to travel to fairs and such?  And not try to set up shop at RV parks.  Did you mention that you will be working out of your RV?  First mistake.  Simply tell them you will be living in it XX number of months a year and see what they say.  Other than that I guess you need to start calling insurance companies.

Touchy subject if you mention "work" or "your studio", but since you aren't carrying passengers for hire or (I presume) having buyers come inside to see your displayed wares, it may be viable to simply ignore it, as you probably did when you had a small shop in your fixed home. If you do declare it as a commercial use vehicle, there may also be implications for your vehicle registration, and driver license as well. Most people who simply drive their RV from work site to work site, and then "work out of their home", do NOT insure it as a commercial-use vehicle. Could get sticky in certain situations, though.

You can't really add an RV to an auto policy, though. It needs different coverages, i.e. on contents such as appliances, electronics, your personal effects (clothing, pots & pans, etc). Those are not covered in an automobile policy. They can write you a separate RV policy, though, but they probably have a different subsidiary for commercial policies if you go the "work vehicle" route.

Here is one agency that handles policies for Commercial-use RVs:
http://thuminsurance.com/specialty-programs-container/commercial-use-rv

Maybe another one here: https://www.infinityauto.com/commercial-auto-insurance

Thanks for the replies. The RV purchase (as well as mileage) will be a tax write-off for me, so a bit concerned about bending the rules about it not being used for work...

I talked with Farmer's Insurance, who says they could do a policy that specified the RV would be for a combo of work and vacation, which is accurate - waiting for them to call me back with a quote, and can post info here when they get back to me in case anyone's interested.

Ugh, just got denied coverage by another provider for being honest and saying exactly what I was using it for - including a very clear explanation that it was not "for hire" and that I was not selling anything out of it. I do claim my home studio as a tax deduction (sq footage, utilities, etc.) and get a big break for that, so thinking the same will be true of the RV...But even finding insurance at *all* unless I neglect to mention how it will be used seems to be an issue. Going to try calling the agencies Gary suggested tomorrow, as well as talking with my accountant to see if she thinks I need to get special insurance in order to claim on my taxes. I can't possibly be the first one to encounter this issue, can I? Do any of you claim business deductions for your RV/travel expenses while having it insured as a personal vehicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom