How to empty the Propane Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

We need to "safely empty" our Propane tank before we ship it back to the UK.

Can anyone tell me HOW to safely empty it please.

Thanks
Paul

Paul,

Find the nearest Ace hardware store and have their propane guy do it for you.

Yep, the only way to have it done safely is have a propane dealer take it out.

Thanks Guys

Given my "luck" I have absolutely NO intention of doing it myself, but what is it they actually do ?

Is there a release valve that empties the stuff or is it pumped out ?

Thanks
Paul

There are two ways to empty the tank legally

One via appliances, motors or other devices which mix the gas with air and combust it.

Two: Pump it to another tank which is approved for this use.

It will be pumped out via the regular tank outlet

You could leave those here and buy 2 new ones at Home Depot to ship back with your rig.

You could leave those here and buy 2 new ones at Home Depot to ship back with your rig.

Thanks for the advice, but it's a huge tank on an A-Class - and I aint leaving that behind  ;D

Paul

PS It's getting that cold in Jacksonville at the moment that we may be "lucky" and run out of propane anyway.  ::)

That (Running it dry) is the best way

But with the class A ask the park where you are parked where they get their Propane from, then call them.

Odds are the propane provider will be able to pump you dry, and may even pay you for the gas

That is probably the best way.  Telephone the local propane distributor(s) and see if they will provide the emptying service.

I believe they pump the propane out and then flush the tank with nitrogen.

Just running the tank dry will leave it full of propane vapor, still an explosive situation.  As Jeff said, the tank would need to be purged of all vapor and filled with a non-flammable gas like nitrogen or even air.  Before filling the tank again, it will need to be purged of all gases before putting in propane.  Any propane dealer should be able to do both of these tasks.

Not only emptied and purged but certified.

Here is from the Matson Shipping rules

? Propane tanks - Vehicles with propane tanks for auxiliary uses must be delivered for shipment with the propane tanks empty of any liquid or fumes. The empty tank must be tagged and certified as "gas free" by an authorized propane dealer or service company. We recommend that you verify the cost of emptying and certifying propane tanks. It may be less costly to purchase a new tank at your destination.  [My emphasis]

See the info at the http://www.ableautotransport.com/hawaii.htm    The info is for shipment to Hawaii, but I suspect that the rules apply to the Atlantic as well.  (USCG)

Hi Carl

That was my understanding too.

However, a guy in Florida whose business is to export RVs to the UK claims it just needs to be empty, so do the agents for the shipping line.

There are people who state the Diesel must be 1/4 tank or less as well - but others claim a full tank is OK (Gas & Propane empty but Diesel Full).

Paul

However, a guy in Florida whose business is to export RVs to the UK claims it just needs to be empty, so do the agents for the shipping line.

The agents give you that in writing?  They would be authoritative.  However, to empty the tank you should go to a propane dealer that can handle it, and you should ask for a certificate....just in case.  I am an old bureaucrat.  If the paper can be got without a hassle get the paper.  It can be amazing how short memories are when push comes to shove.

Faithfully following this thread, we attempted to contact 10+ propane places in the Baltimore area before shipping our RV.  None would do it.  Finally one called me back and saying they could help out.  We're here now patiently waiting for our tank to burn itself completely off before they can inert it with nitrogen.  The tech explains that all of the liquid needs to be gone before they can overcome the native propane pressure in the tank to inert it.  Hopefully will still get the rig to the doc today...

Glad you found someone to take care of it. Good luck with the shipment. Where will it be shipped to?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom