USA, we really do love you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hfx_Cdn

Here is a link to an article making its way around both Canada and the US.  While it does have a bit of "tongue in cheek" humour the feelings initially expressed in the ad and in the comments do confirm that we do love your fine country that you have every reason to be proud of.  So, regardless of which individual or party you support, remember when you awake on November 9th, you will continue to be a great country.
  http://www.wtsp.com/news/politics/elections/cheer-up-americans-say-canadians-youre-great/337788244

Ed

Thanks Ed, we as Americans sometimes forget that. There is so much negativity and hostility out there right now, I for one just can't wait til it's over. 

SargeW said:
Thanks Ed, we as Americans sometimes forget that. There is so much negativity and hostility out there right now, I for one just can't wait til it's over.

Amen to that but sadly the bickering and slandering will continue on both sides for a long time. After election almost half the country will be pissed off and the other half will be mad while defending their position. This is the nastiest election I have seen in my lifetime.  Hope things do cool down afterwards, it has gone on long enough.

Thanks ED for the nice comments.

Will, by the time we meet over lunch and a brew this winter for our 2nd annual mini rally, hopefully all will be settled down and everybody can have a "cum-by-ya" moment.

Ed

SargeW said:
It may be over November 9th Ed but it's not really over.  This country is now seriously divided and will continue to be so until we have an event that binds us back together again.  I am not happy  to say that such an event will be a tragedy of some sort similar to 911 and even it will not fully heal all the wounds that our politicians have inflicted on us in the past few years.  The name of the game is power and each party seeks it constantly.  Minorities are now the majority in our politically correct  society.  Things that would have been laughed at during my prime years are now considered seriously.  Our society is slowly but surely crumbling.  I would love to go back to the 50s and 60s in a heartbeat. Simpler times made for a simpler life.  One problem we have now is the 24/7 news cycle - things that would never have made the news are now front page. Enough of my rant.
Bill

PS:  I envy Canada in that their last national election campaign period lasted 78 days and that set some sort of record for length. Why can't we restrict political campaigning to a short period so our lives are not constant political bickering.

Bill, don't be so pessimistic.  We elected a 44 year old who was called too young and inexperienced by the previous PM who was an advocate of closed one man governing who pitted people against each other.  It was a very negative election, so we were lucky that it was so short.  Well it has been a year yesterday since the change in government, and the honeymoon has not ended yet.  The new government isn't perfect, but you can sure feel the different attitude.  Elected people seem to want to work together and our economy is showing minimal signs of improvement.
    All that to say that once people realize that no one person or party is right 100% of the time, and that you need to work together, there will be major improvements.  In the mean time, you have a great country, maybe just not as great as you'd like to see.

Ed

Half of the country will not be pissed off on November 9th. Less than half of the country votes and less than half vote for the losing candidate. So that gives us 60 million or so on the losing side. The vast majority of those people will not be pissed off about losing, it is only the extremely vocal minority that is going to keep on complaining once the election is over. So I would think at most there will be a few million really pissed off people who are going to be very loud and vocal about losing. About the same size that is still bitching about the last election. But that is what makes democracy so great. We are allowed to be upset about the results of an election without fear of going to jail. I am just pissed about the talk about a "rigged election". That is just about as stupid as it gets. Yes there will be a few dead people voting and a few people voting more than once. But certainly not enough to affect the outcome of the election. The most important thing for me about this election is the 9 states that are voting on legalizing cannabis. Personally I think I live in the greatest country on earth and I would not move out no matter what. I have been to foreign countries and there just is no comparison.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Will, by the time we meet over lunch and a brew this winter for our 2nd annual mini rally, hopefully all will be settled down and everybody can have a "cum-by-ya" moment.

Ed

Thanks for the video. Very uplifting. Count us in for the mini rally. We missed last year because of work. Now both working part time, so shouldn't be an interference.

Hfx_Cdn said:

Ed

Rally, what rally.  I expect a personal invite Ed.  Oh and by the way, thanks for the video link.  It's nice to know we're not always the Ugly Americans.  We love traveling in and have always been treated extremely well in Canada.  Cheers. 

Hfx_Cdn said:

Ed

Sorry Ed...I got off to an early start and hoisted a brew to ya last night.....Friday I will lift another when I make it to my fav pub for lunch...bangers and mash with a Magners Irish Cider..

Gary, Rene did the grunt work by reserving a table at the restaurant, hopefully he will do so again this year (only at a different restaurant)  Not only are you invited, but we all will stick voodoo pins in you if we find out that you were in the area and didn't come, or even make contact.

Ed

PS:  Will we will be a few days before trying to catch up as we are on the road, but I'm not sure that is possible, but it will be fun trying

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Gary, Rene did the grunt work by reserving a table at the restaurant, hopefully he will do so again this year (only at a different restaurant)  Not only are you invited, but we all will stick voodoo pins in you if we find out that you were in the area and didn't come, or even make contact.

Ed

PS:  Will we will be a few days before trying to catch up as we are on the road, but I'm not sure that is possible, but it will be fun trying

When you going to buy that travel trailer and hit the road again?  I know Donna wants to.  It would be great seeing you in Q if you can make it.  Even if you have to fly in. 

I am grateful our political system is designed to make one party rule extremely difficult, if not impossible.  This prevents any one charismatic individual, or party, to run roughshod over those with other viewpoints.  The President needs the support of  at least some of the opposition party to accomplish anything.  This sometimes leads to gridlock, but I do not necessarily think gridlock is a bad word.  Sometimes gridlock is a good outcome.

dave54 said:
I am grateful our political system is designed to make one party rule extremely difficult, if not impossible.  This prevents any one charismatic individual, or party, to run roughshod over those with other viewpoints.  The President needs the support of  at least some of the opposition party to accomplish anything.  This sometimes leads to gridlock, but I do not necessarily think gridlock is a bad word.  Sometimes gridlock is a good outcome.

Agree with a lot of that Dave but it has lately come to the point where when the President does not get the support of at least some of the opposition party he just claims executive power and directs actions that upset the balance of power.  Our forefathers wisely set up a balanced set of powers among the three branches of government but there seems to be a hesitancy to enforce that balance when it is being abused.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom