Docking Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailorkane

My Journey has a space on the dash for a switch labeled "Docking Lights".  There is no actual switch and no actual docking lights.  I would like to have docking lights aft to assist in parking, working on toad hitch, etc.  The most daunting part is running the wire.  With a labeled spot on the dash, I wonder if the wires have already been run?  There is nothing in the owners manual about docking lights.  Anyone have any info?

Docking lights are mounted along the sides of the coach - they are not "back-up lights". And you may already have white lights on the rear that engage when in reverse. If you do, you might be able to add a manual switch to that exiting circuit so they can serve as rear work lights. You could also mount additional lights and tap into the power directly in the engine bay, with a switch outside at the back. Might be a handier location for a rear work light switch than on the dash.

I'm not positive about 2003, but my sister coach to yours (Journey/Meridian) has a lot of switch plate spaces that are for features that only come in the Tour/Ellipse.  For 2013 anyway, dock lights is one of those feature.  Same in the breaker panels - lots of empty spaces marked with features only available on the Tour/Ellipse.

So far, I have been able to find wiring in place for options that were available on my Meridian, such as the outside TV in the slide, however if the option wasn't available on my Meridian, but was available on the Ellipse, they did not prewire for it even though I have the switch space for it. 

Thanks, guys.  Wiring diagram shows connection to chassis 2-conductor plug somewhere.  So wires may not have been run to the back/sides of the coach for the docklights.  Brochure  does not mention docking lights.  So probably for another model.  There must still be a 2-conductor chassis wire for it, but may not be run to the back.  Not sure its worth the effort to run a wire.

I don't miss them because I don't have them, but I bet they would be nice, especially becaue these side cameras are not night vision.

I have a 2005 Vectra and there is a switch on my dash called "docking lights" When I switch it on a reading light above the driver seat comes on, might be mislabeled I guess.

My '03 Ultimate has docking lights. They are located on each side just behind the rear wheels. They will come on only in very specific situations, like tranny in reverse and engine running, etc. They normally won't come on/stay on when I want them on, and even if they do they are not pointed where I need them and the beam is not that wide. Quite frankly, they are not of much use. My best night hookup friend is my cap bill-mounted light.

If you wish to have rear lighting for hooking up the towed at night, or for backing into an RV site at night; consider one of these LED lights https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Driving-Lights-Bright-Warranty/dp/B00AZPP0Y6/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1476930804&sr=1-9&keywords=LED+flood+lights
Running a  positive wire is not difficult, just time-consuming. You can find a ground wire, or run one to the frame. The switch proper is also available online- aftermarket.
I know the Winnebago OEM rear flood lights on our MH are invaluable for these tasks.

Sailorkane said:
Thanks, guys.  Wiring diagram shows connection to chassis 2-conductor plug somewhere.  So wires may not have been run to the back/sides of the coach for the docklights.  Brochure  does not mention docking lights.  So probably for another model.  There must still be a 2-conductor chassis wire for it, but may not be run to the back.  Not sure its worth the effort to run a wire.
Climb under there and see if the wires aren't already under the coach. There's a better than even chance you have the same wiring harness as those with that option. Do you have the rear mounting holes?

What Jeff said.  We have docking lights since the Vectra/Horizon were the queens of the fleet after Winnebago dropped the Ultimate line. We've used our docking exactly once in 11 years, we got caught in a situation and had to set up at dusk.

DutchEagle said:
I have a 2005 Vectra and there is a switch on my dash called "docking lights" When I switch it on a reading light above the driver seat comes on, might be mislabeled I guess.

Somebody must have re-wired something on your coach.  The docking light switch should turn on the two docking lights by the rear wheels.  The reading light should be controlled by the dash dimmer switch (all the way up turns it on), just like the dome light used to be controlled in American cars.

An update.  Took apart the dash to look for a chassis wire behind the "docking lights" switch position.  (switch itself is not in the dash, but there is a labeled spot for one).  Took photo (attached).  Obviously, there is wiring for something, likely docking lights, already in the coach.  Just need to find the other end......  Looks to me like there are potentially 3 dock lamps somewhere in the chassis......

Attachments

• dock lites socket.jpg
    dock lites socket.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 82
That's probably a lit switch (don't remember), meaning there is + & - 12v for the switch light, and twin feeds to each side. I doubt there's a crossover from one side to the other in the rear

Thanks for wiring diagram.  I've been having trouble with Windows 10 and Winnebagos wiring diagrams.  I assume the relay and breaker are not there either....  I have not found the wires on either side.  But my search so far has been cursory.  Will give it another look see.

I found the wiring diagrams on Winnebago's site do not like Windows 10 Edge Browser, but if you open the site in Windows Explorer, they work ok. Since my default is set up for Edge, when I select a diagram in Explorer the new window with the diagram opens in Edge and displays normally. You just cannot select the diagram to open from the Edge Browser.
Hope this makes sense.

Happy Travels,
David

yoda2405 said:
I found the wiring diagrams on Winnebago's site do not like Windows 10 Edge Browser, but if you open the site in Windows Explorer, they work ok. ...
As a side note, Microsoft did it again with Edge (like they have for years). It is incompatible with many websites  :mad: and they usually don't bother to conform to W3 standards. I strongly recommend Firefox or Chrome browsers with the AdBlock add-in.

yoda2405 said:
I found the wiring diagrams on Winnebago's site do not like Windows 10 Edge Browser, but if you open the site in Windows Explorer, they work ok. Since my default is set up for Edge, when I select a diagram in Explorer the new window with the diagram opens in Edge and displays normally. You just cannot select the diagram to open from the Edge Browser.
I just recently started to use Edge when they finally got extensions capability added. I had a problem with the diagrams at one point ...selecting the specific year I believe it was. At that point if I did a right-click on the year and told it to open in another tab, everything worked as normal after that.

My 2001 Ultimate Advantage has docking lights and they work fine. The real problem I am having is trying to change the bulb on the passenger side. Not only is it burnt out it is also loose in in the housing of the body. It appears the only way to access it for repairs and replacement is to remove the wheel and tire. Has anyone run into this and is there an easier way ?

Back
Top Bottom