Docking Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remove the screws on the wheel well. There is a hing at the top. Once the screws on both side are removed (visible in the adjacent bays) then hinge upward. That's how I worked on my docking lights on the Ultimate freedom

judd777 said:
Remove the screws on the wheel well. There is a hing at the top. Once the screws on both side are removed (visible in the adjacent bays) then hinge upward. That's how I worked on my docking lights on the Ultimate freedom

Yep, did the same on my UA.  Open the bays on each side of the wheel well and you get easy access to the screws.

I added LED off road lights and wired them into my backup lights. I may have over done it a bit, so don't stare into the he back of my coach at night. You'll go blind!  I've actually had campers complain when parking at night.

PAHipskind, I was a bit concerned about overloading the backup light circuits.  The led lights I was looking at are 27 watts each.  Adding directly to the backup light circuit might be too much?

Sailorkane said:
  The led lights I was looking at are 27 watts each.  Adding directly to the backup light circuit might be too much?
  Eee gads!  Those aren't docking lights, those are search lights! :)  Considering an LED headlamp is only 10w.  I'm not sure you will get the full benefit of those just looking out the mirrors backing up, but you definitely would quiet the campfire song in a campground.

I just checked my backup bulbs.  1156, 12V 32cp, specs are 27W each bulb.  So it looks like I could easily replace these bulbs with LEDs and have enough capacity for decent backup docking lights, illuminated whenever I have the coach in reverse.  It would handle the backup in the dark situations.  To work on toad in the dark, hand held or tripod spotlight would be better. 

So 32CP is roughly 400lm. A 27Watt LED is going to hover somewhere around 2000lm EACH, not including lensing. So Yes, they ARE searchlights

I like it!

Yup.  Once tried to thread the needle through a forested campground with a motorhome and had difficulty seeing a wide enough side pattern (to the front), so I mounted two of these as "fog light", pointed out at 45 degree angle.  Truly nice.  Wide pattern and very bright close up, which is what I wanted.  Each one has 9 of the 3-watt Cree led's.  Thinking of the same thing on this coach aiming aft, mounted below rear bumper.

Well, I did just buy some on Amazon for $11.00 each prime, and some windshield brackets for the Jeep.  Can't beat the price. 

Master Mind said:
My 2001 Ultimate Advantage has docking lights and they work fine. The real problem I am having is trying to change the bulb on the passenger side. Not only is it burnt out it is also loose in in the housing of the body. It appears the only way to access it for repairs and replacement is to remove the wheel and tire. Has anyone run into this and is there an easier way ?
The way to change docking light bulbs is: remove the side-screws that hold the fender skirt surrounding the wheel-well, then hinge this "skirt" up. It must be propped up with a board for you to remove the metal housing which holds the bulb, not much play in the wiring. The factory bulb is a 55w halogen bulb, it's expensive from Winnebago, so I bought 50w locally for 1/2 the price. I can't note any difference in brightness when I am working under them.

NOTE: I tried LED bulbs but they are very dim compared to halogen, same for the rear work lights, LED's are very dim compared to halogen.
BTW, docking lights and work lights will come on with ignition off, but only work when in reverse with ignition on.

There are many many many completely different LED's in a common form socket. You just didnt buy the right ones

Just got done polishing the lenses too. Wholly smoke those are bright! I almost bought the 50w lamps :)

Jeff, the photo is awesome.  What am I looking at?  Your lights appear to be mounted in the bumper?!?  Did you mount them yourself or was there a spot in the coach for them?  I don't feel like cutting my bumper and don't have a spot on mine.  Was going to mount below the bumper.

There are molded within the bumper. I have seen others that either trail below (not good) or are mounted next to the hitch on both sides

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom