1998 jayco eagle 8 roof rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OpusX

So the wife and I have been wanting to purchase a popup for years to go camping, and we finally decided to purchase one that needed a little work and could try it out for a few years before we purchased new.  Unfortunately we did not realize that the roof had major rot. 

I need to somehow repair/replace the roof but do not know where to begin.  I am assuming I will need to take down all the ceiling paneling and somehow remove by scraping/sanding the existing rot and then glue new plywood in place.  I also need to seal the top and replace the weather stripping around the bottom lib of the roof where it seals with the body when it lowers.  Any guidance/pictures/video is greatly appreciated.

I redid all the electrical and the all lighting and outlets work now.  I also fixed all the counter tops.  The canvas is also in good shape.  I discovered the rot because as I was replacing the cable that ran through the tracks attached to ceiling I noticed all the staples were rusted and just pulled out of ceiling.  I have a feeling the whole roof will need to be repaired.

I definitely got in over my head, as I did not know what to look for.  Lesson learned, but I would still like to try and fix if possible.  I debated on trying to just seal everything up and deal with the rot for the next few years, but I worry about mold and the like. 

Back
Top Bottom