Weight puzzle I don't know how to solve; RV + towed = how much weight left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdoggy

As my massive RV buying budget has shrunk steadily (sob, whine!), I have followed my dwindling dollars downhill towards a place that may not end in divorce or bankruptcy. Which is good, because I still want to have a wife for the RV experience along with a buck or 2 to put into the fuel tank.

Today's question is about RV weight capacities and towed car towing and my lack of properly understanding the weight math. Puzzle is this:

RV is a 2016 Forest River RV, 30DS, with these specs:

GVWR 18000 lbs
GCWR 23000 lbs
GAWR Rear 12000 lbs
GAWR Front 7000 lbs
Fuel Capacity 80 gal
Fresh Water 57 gal
Gray Water 41 gal
Black Water 41 gal

Hoping to tow a 2014 Ford Flex:
Weighs 4700 lbs

So the puzzle is simply, after I connect this car to this RV, both full of gas, how much weight capacity is left for 2 people and their stuff? Anyone? Buehler?

What's missing is the RV's UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight).  Subtract the UVW from the GVWR and you'll get the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity), how much water, cargo and passenger weight you can carry.

I noticed the UVW and CCC aren't on the Forest River web page ... maybe the motorhome has a small CCC?  In any case, if you look at an actual motorhome this information should be on a label inside one of the cabinet doors - probably in the kitchen.

The most the motorhome can weigh is the GVWR (18,000 lbs).  The most the motorhome and toad together can weigh is the GCWR (23,000 lbs).  Since there's 5,000 lbs difference between them, the motorhome loaded to it's maximum weight can tow an additional 5,000 lbs. so you should be OK towing a  4700 lb Flex.  This assumes the hitch receiver on the motorhome is likewise rated for at least 5,000 lbs. and the toad is equipped with a braking system.

One more factor is the axle weights (GAWR).  You have to load the motorhome so there isn't too much weight on any wheel or axle.  Tank placement is fixed, but you do have some flexibility on where you store your cargo.  Note there is a 1,000 lb difference between the sum of the axle weights and the GVWR limit, which suggests something else like chassis strength or brakes is the limiting factor.

According to the figures, if you max the GVWR, you have 5000 lbs to tow. Also, if the front axle is 7000 lbs and the rear is 12000 lbs, wouldn't the GVWR be 19,000 lbs? More importantly, though, is how much does the coach weigh? You should get a 4 position weight (so you know how much weight is on each of the four corners of the rig). Do this with full tanks, all your stuff, and all normal passengers. Weight the car, too. Make sure the tank is full and all of the normal stuff is in it. If you haven't maxed out any of the four corners and the combination of the two vehicles is less than the GCVW, then you should be OK.

Also, make sure to have a supplemental brake system for the car. I'm sure others will provide more details.

GVWR - Dry = CCC
18,000 - 15030 = 2970 lb, the max weight of everything loaded in/on the RV. Water gear & people.

Tow capability (when RV is fully load)  is GCWR - GVWR, so 23000 - 18000 = 5000 lbs. Just enough for the Flex

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom