Full timers questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

Those of you that full time.

Do you keep your slides out 24/7 when parked for a few weeks or more?

If not, what would be a reason to pull them in?  Wind, rain, hail or something else.

Next is if you park for a few weeks or more do you ever break camp to go for a ride in your MH to keep everything lubed
and give the batteries a good charge etc?  Then return to the same parking spot for a few weeks or more again?

How many of you park for months at a time - and how many of you only park for a few days or weeks and then move on?
Both (I assume) are considered full timing, right?

For those that full time - do all of you have a vehicle you pull behind.  If not, how do you get around town to get groceries etc.?

Because I just bought a MH I don't know if it's too late to find a place to stay in a warm/hot Winter area for 3-5 months or IF I will be forced to
move around more often.  Therefore my questions from those that have or do full timing.

RedandSilver said:
Yep
If not, what would be a reason to pull them in?  Wind, rain, hail or something else.
If it was really windy I would pull the slides in to protect the slide topper.
Next is if you park for a few weeks or more do you ever break camp to go for a ride in your MH to keep everything lubed
and give the batteries a good charge etc?  Then return to the same parking spot for a few weeks or more again?
Many people, myself included, do not feel it is beneficial to do so. The batteries should be getting a good charge when plugged into shore power.
How many of you park for months at a time - and how many of you only park for a few days or weeks and then move on? Both (I assume) are considered full timing, right?
I think most people don't have any set pattern. A week here, a month there and then two days in the next spot. Doesn't matter how long you stay, it is still full timing.
For those that full time - do all of you have a vehicle you pull behind.  If not, how do you get around town to get groceries etc.?
I full timed for ten years without a toad. I just drove the RV when I wanted to go somewhere. However I am in the massive minority. Most do have a toad. But for me the hassle of dragging around another vehicle is just not worth the hassle, it is easier to use the RV. But I never bothered to level the RV so to move all I had to do was disconnect the power, water and sewer and go.
Because I just bought a MH I don't know if it's too late to find a place to stay in a warm/hot Winter area for 3-5 months or IF I will be forced to move around more often.  Therefore my questions from those that have or do full timing.
I am at The Floridian in central Florida and there would be no problem finding a place here for the next six months. You would only have a problem if you wanted to stay someplace like the Florida Keys. Every place else has room.

"I am at The Floridian in central Florida and there would be no problem finding a place here for the next six months. You would only have a problem if you wanted to stay someplace like the Florida Keys. Every place else has room."

What is the cost? per month?

Right now it is $335 per month and electricity is about $50 per month. Rates are going up on the first of the year but I don't know exactly how high. I think to $350. That includes water, trash, sewer and landscaping. I have been here three and a half years and  I love the place. Right in between Disney and Kennedy.

I never bring in my slides, even in high winds. I might if I was in the middle of a hail storm or something, to protect the slide toppers.

I'm with SeilerBird on the toad issue. We are part of a small minority, though. I didn't want the extra expense of paying for a car, and refuse to tow anything because I almost always have to back up when I'm travelling (alone).

But it's not very convenient. I have electric levelers, but it is a HUGE inconvenience to disconnect all services and go through the "all this must be stowed or it will go flying" list, so I have only done that twice in one year, when I had no other way to go get something large that had to be picked up.

Otherwise, because of my campground memberships, I stay no longer than 3 weeks at any one campground, and either pick up groceries when I move, or use my electric scooter (stowed on a hitch-mounted carrier) when I'm in places where the terrain is level and services are only a few miles away.

I have the limitation that I don't feel like I can physically handle/control a heavier motorcycle or gas scooter. If I were comfortable managing an extra 100 pounds (my hitch can handle more), I could have a gas scooter instead and that would give me more freedom and flexibility, still without having to tow a toad. Just an idea for you to add to the mix.

SeilerBird said:
Right now it is $335 per month and electricity is about $50 per month. Rates are going up on the first of the year but I don't know exactly how high. I think to $350. That includes water, trash, sewer and landscaping. I have been here three and a half years and  I love the place. Right in between Disney and Kennedy.

Is that month to month or with a one year lease?

I showed up at a park that was supposed to be 350 month, but turns out that was 1 year lease, to stay less than 12 months, it was going to be $700 a month, huge difference.

DearMissMermaid said:
Is that month to month or with a one year lease?

I showed up at a park that was supposed to be 350 month, but turns out that was 1 year lease, to stay less than 12 months, it was going to be $700 a month, huge difference.
It is with a lease which gave me one month for free. I used to be month to month but it was not much more expensive. I think around $350.

RedandSilver said:
Those of you that full time.

How many of you park for months at a time - and how many of you only park for a few days or weeks and then move on?
Both (I assume) are considered full timing, right?

Because I just bought a MH I don't know if it's too late to find a place to stay in a warm/hot Winter area for 3-5 months or IF I will be forced to
move around more often.  Therefore my questions from those that have or do full timing.

To answer your questions...

1- I don't have slides, so can't really say.

2- I do break camp to take the RV out shopping and sightseeing. Rather than just run to a store and back, I look around to see if there are other parks or places to visit or sightsee while I am out and about. Looking at other campgrounds in the area, is a fun past time too. The house battery will stay charged up while plugged in. For some strange reason, mine and many other RV's do not charge the engine battery while plugged in. I bought and installed a $49 gadget to keep my engine battery topped up at all times. I sometimes have to use the 12 volt cig lighter while parked and surely don't want to run down my engine battery to the point it won't start, but my gadget now keeps it topped up so no worries anymore.

3- My definition of fulltiming is 24/7 in your rig year round. Many folks are just snow birds, living in theirs only part of the year. I park short and long term. Could be a few days or a few weeks or a few months. Some of the places I would love to park a few months only allow 2 weeks.

4- For six years I have NOT had a car. This works fine for me, but for the vast majority, they can't figure out how to live without a car. I have enjoyed immensely not having the hassle of towing a car around with me and the extra maintenance required to keep both and RV and a car running in tip top shape.

I stay organized with ongoing "lists" so that when I do travel to shop, I know what to get. I also utilize Amazon for many deliveries of RV parts and certain items I rely on. Mostly I do my shopping on the way to the next campground. My pantry is stocked with extra items, beans, rice, soups, canned goods, so I can be flexible about when I shop.

A few years ago I started traveling with a bicycle and added an electric front wheel kit. If I am tired or the hill is rough, I can use the electric assist. I also have removable baskets, 3 of them, 2 in back and 1 in front, so I can haul cargo. In some areas, I am able to ride my bike to the stores and farmers market. This is FUN!

I take my removable baskets off and put them in the store buggy so I know how much cargo I can haul back with me.  8)

Start looking NOW if you want a warmish place for the winter. It can be had but prices are all over the place!

You don't say if you are a solo or couple. I personally think if you are solo, it's so much easier to not have the hassles of towing a car. Just loading and unloading my bicycle is enough work for me. Where I am now, I use my bicycle to haul out the garbage, also comes in handy if I have to go to the laundry. Mostly I use my own compact washing machine and hang dry inside or out.

I also use my bike to take the dog for a ride to places where he can roam off leash with me and play Frisbee or fetch.

Last year I upgraded to a comfort bicycle called a "Day 6". I was able to move my electric kit over to the new bike. It's heaven on earth to ride it.

Riding a bicycle has drastically improved my health. The electric kit has convinced to get up and go every day. I use the kit less and less, but it's nice to have when I have a heavy load or I am pooped out.

I've added a lot of goofy but useful stuff to my bicycle. It's the best investment I ever made and the health benefits are awesome as is the fun factor and the practicality. Plus it's eco friendly for mother nature.

Attachments

• my Day 6 bicycle with extras.jpg
    my Day 6 bicycle with extras.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 51
Do you keep your slides out 24/7 when parked for a few weeks or more? If not, what would be a reason to pull them in?  Wind, rain, hail or something else.

I leave mine out unless nature says otherwise - that is very rare.  I've pulled the slides in on one side once due to wind.

I spend the majority of the time boondocking, most of these places have a two week limit.  So, I typically move once every two weeks. My solar charging system does a superb job charging the batteries.  I have stretched my water supply and storage tanks to four weeks a couple of times.  Typically must dump/fill every two-three weeks.  So, it is either the length of stay limit or storage tanks that force me to "go for a ride" every 2-3 weeks.

I have a large motorhome and tow a Jeep Wrangler. I use the Jeep for exploring, errands, and hauling the bicycles/kayak/fishing gear.

DearMissMermaid said:
I bought and installed a $49 gadget to keep my engine battery topped up at all times. I sometimes have to use the 12 volt cig lighter while parked and surely don't want to run down my engine battery to the point it won't start, but my gadget now keeps it topped up so no worries anymore.

Does this "gadget" have a name?

I have wondered why only the house batteries get charged with shore power.

But then again I'm not clear on exactly what runs on what.  All the 12v lights run on which set?  The batteries that start the vehicle
are they used for anything other than that?

But then again I'm not clear on exactly what runs on what.  All the 12v lights run on which set?  The batteries that start the vehicle

For the most part you can imagine the the truck without the house on it. The 'starter' battery runs everything on the truck portion, headlights etc. The House batteries run all the stuff added by the RV manufacturer. The two 12V systems are isolated from one another except under special conditions such as bridging the two together for a boost and charging the house set while driving down the road.

RedandSilver said:
Does this "gadget" have a name?

I have wondered why only the house batteries get charged with shore power.

The gadget I bought was a Tik-L-Start for $44.90 but the price went up a nickel since I bought mine years ago.
http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

It came with clear instructions and mulitple ways to wire it up, I did it myself and it's worked for years now.

Worth every penny!

My stereo runs off the engine battery as does the heavy duty cig lighter which I use for other things too like the tire inflator, the GPS, the portable backup camera. I was killing my battery (before the gadget) using the stereo, now I have different stereo system. However clocks and the engine's computer can draw on engine battery.

Typically the house lights draw on the house battery.

But now, for me with my "gadget" I always have a fully topped up engine battery, so that is comforting.  I think the RV manufacturers are being way too cheap in not including a solution with the RV.

DearMissMermaid said:
A few years ago I started traveling with a bicycle and added an electric front wheel kit. If I am tired or the hill is rough, I can use the electric assist. I also have removable baskets, 3 of them, 2 in back and 1 in front, so I can haul cargo. In some areas, I am able to ride my bike to the stores and farmers market. This is FUN!

I've been looking at those front wheel kits and an adult 3 wheeler. Thinking I could replace the huge wire basket between the rear wheels with a lockable box. Maybe even install a deep cycle battery in there for more range.

Stable bike with a trunk for grocery runs. ;)

DearMissMermaid said:
The gadget I bought was a Tik-L-Start for $44.90 but the price went up a nickel since I bought mine years ago.
http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

It came with clear instructions and mulitple ways to wire it up, I did it myself and it's worked for years now.

Worth every penny!

My stereo runs off the engine battery as does the heavy duty cig lighter which I use for other things too like the tire inflator, the GPS, the portable backup camera. I was killing my battery (before the gadget) using the stereo, now I have different stereo system. However clocks and the engine's computer can draw on engine battery.

Typically the house lights draw on the house battery.

But now, for me with my "gadget" I always have a fully topped up engine battery, so that is comforting.  I think the RV manufacturers are being way too cheap in not including a solution with the RV.

Thanks for the link.

More than a nickle higher than what you paid but not out of reach.  ;D

srs713 said:
I've been looking at those front wheel kits and an adult 3 wheeler. Thinking I could replace the huge wire basket between the rear wheels with a lockable box. Maybe even install a deep cycle battery in there for more range.

Stable bike with a trunk for grocery runs. ;)

Knowing what I know now... multiple batteries are better than just one. If one dies while you are out and about, you have the spare to get home. Any gadgets hooked to the batteries to measure their condition also draws current, so I play the guessing game.

I have two 4.5 pound lithium batteries referred to as "20 mile" batteries. Typically I just bike with one battery but I have dual rear baskets so I can hide a battery in each basket. It's kind of a guessing game. The 20 mile battery assumes 170 pound total weight for rider and bike on a flat smooth surface.

Well, me, my bike, baskets battery, doggy, water , toys, shopping... well we are over the 170 pounds for sure. Also I rarely find smooth roads. If they are flat and smooth, then DUH... I am pedaling anyhow and saving the battery for hard terrain.

I do like the security of using the electric assist to speed across traffic and get the heck out of their way. For instance, at a 4 lane traffic signal and I need to cross 4 lanes of traffic in the pedestrian cross walk, I sometimes use the electric to get across fast and out of the way.

Before you settle on a trike... ride a "Day 6" comfort bike (see my pic). It's lower center of gravity and supreme comfort make it super easy to ride.

I use a heavy cable to lock the bicycle to my rig or when parked to shop etc. When I shop with it, typically I am able to lock it near the front door of the store, often to the handicap sign post if no bike rack or pole provided otherwise. With it so close to the front door, I am always hoping it keeps the other shoppers honest and so far so good. Usually once I get my shopping done, I am zipping back to the camp anyhow.

In most cases I try to hide the fact my bike is electric as most folks just think it's a regular pedal bike. But always lock bikes, desperate folks steal them to sell them as scrap metal or pawn. Yeah, it's a crazy world.

Attachments

• my Day 6 bicycle with extras.jpg
    my Day 6 bicycle with extras.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 15
I also am a solo that does not tow a vehicle.  (And I also have an electric bike.)  Everyone has their own travel style.  I am in travel mode, meaning I like to keep moving around every few days or do, and I like state and federal campground instead of commercial places, so there is a two week limit.  (I would get bored spending months in one spot!)  I tend to run my errands and get groceries between campgrounds.  I also unhook and use my motorhome to go sightseeing, but since I mostly have only electric, it just means putting my slides in and unplugging the electric. I can put my TV and slides away, toss kitchen counter stuff into the sink, and unplug electric in less than five minutes!!

One BIG advantage of being solo is that I only have to dump my tanks every 4-5 days, and that includes doing dishes once a day and taking a nightly hot shower.  So I combine dumping my tanks with an excursion out for the day, if I am staying a week or two in one spot. 

I have a 32' Class C, and have to plan where I park if I want to do some shopping, but I mostly go to the big grocery stores and they nearly always have enough space for me to park.  (Exception was the other day, but I came back later and found a spot and did my shopping.)

Sometimes I rent a car for a few days if I am near a place where driving a big vehicle is difficult.  And sometimes, I will park my motorhome somewhere and then take off on my bike for sightseeing.  I did that last week at Key West, which is a horrible place to drive a 32' vehicle.  So I discovered I could park all day at Zachary Taylor State Park and then I unhooked my bike and rode it all over the town. 

JudyJB said:
I also am a solo that does not tow a vehicle.  (And I also have an electric bike.)  Everyone has their own travel style.  I am in travel mode, meaning I like to keep moving around every few days or do, and I like state and federal campground instead of commercial places, so there is a two week limit.  (I would get bored spending months in one spot!)  I tend to run my errands and get groceries between campgrounds.  I also unhook and use my motorhome to go sightseeing, but since I mostly have only electric, it just means putting my slides in and unplugging the electric. I can put my TV and slides away, toss kitchen counter stuff into the sink, and unplug electric in less than five minutes!!

One BIG advantage of being solo is that I only have to dump my tanks every 4-5 days, and that includes doing dishes once a day and taking a nightly hot shower.  So I combine dumping my tanks with an excursion out for the day, if I am staying a week or two in one spot. 

I have a 32' Class C, and have to plan where I park if I want to do some shopping, but I mostly go to the big grocery stores and they nearly always have enough space for me to park.  (Exception was the other day, but I came back later and found a spot and did my shopping.)

Sometimes I rent a car for a few days if I am near a place where driving a big vehicle is difficult.  And sometimes, I will park my motorhome somewhere and then take off on my bike for sightseeing.  I did that last week at Key West, which is a horrible place to drive a 32' vehicle.  So I discovered I could park all day at Zachary Taylor State Park and then I unhooked my bike and rode it all over the town.

Hey Judy, so glad to meet a kindred spirit! Show us pic of your electric bike. I use mine both ways, mostly I pedal,  but when the going gets tough, the tough push a button!  ;D

Actually, I got my electric bike because I have replaced knees and had fallen and torn some ligaments, so I had a choice.  If I rode my old bike for more than a mile, my knees would be so swollen, I could not walk the next day!  So they are my old lady/handicap solution for bad knees.  And pushing a button certainly is the easy way to travel, but I do have to tell you a funny story.

I was riding in a fairly empty state park in Arizona on the main paved park road.  It was slightly uphill and somehow I just took a bad fall.  Behind me, a gallant older man rode up huffing and puffing to untangle me from my bike and help me up.  As he was helping me, and still out of breath, he said he had been trying to keep up with me and was really impressed with how much in shape I must be!  I had to laugh and admit that my bike had a motor, which is why he had not been able to catch up with me.

One other neat thing about an electric bike is to leave all those 12 year olds who normally zip past you in the dust!!  Also, I am amazed at how many people do not notice that I am riding a bike with a motor, and who apparently assume that I can coast going uphill. 

My bike is an EG Athens, but I don't have any good photos.  I'll attach one from the internet. I will have to admit, however, that hauling it around on the back of my motorhome has really beat it up and it does not look at nice as it did when it was new. 

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 19
I thought I was all set out in South Dakota a few years ago.  The hail was coming down hard and bouncing off the roof of my her.  I had remembered to roll up the awning!

But I forgot the slide topper!!

After the storm ended and I collected several golf ball sized hail stones, I looked at the slide topper, and it had several holes in it!

Ron

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom